Hepco & Becker Luggage Installed

Bought my 2014 blackie off craigslist on Thursday ... the seller emails me Friday:

HE: "Hey, I got this Hepco & Becker rear rack new in the box I can sell you if you're interested?"

ME: "Um ... (checking prices online) ... how much?"

HE: "$150."

ME: "Um ... yeah!!!:clap:"

I put it on today. Just some tips, some of them obvious:
1. Take the seat off (silly me forgot and wonder why I was struggling).
2. I did one side bolt at a time ... front first, rear last (catch that inside nut as it falls off the stock rear).
3. The 3-piece design is genius, because you can keep everything loose and shimmy everything straight into place before the final lockdown.
4. Socks over the turn signals to protect them from scratches.
5. The only tricky part I had was getting a purchase on the inside hex nut on the rear side bolts. None of my wrenches/spanners, box or socket, fit inside that small space between the frame and fender. So what I did was use a mirror (or the shiny chrome rear fender) to line up the hex nut's points at 12 and 6, slip a needlenose pliers in to grip the side flats (a good, solid grip before you start), and held the nut that way while I tightened the allen from the other side. See photo.

Makes a nice "Oh, excrement" grab rail and rear safety catch for a passenger. Will probably keep a sliced rubber bicycle grip and zip ties in the storage bin for the back rail so the passenger doesn't hurt his/her back.

Matching H&B top box next on the list ... love how it locks on and off!


 
My Hepco & Becker Journey TC-42 top case finally arrived from Germany via ebay seller moto-discount. Here are some blinding morning sun photos ...

af46e5e8a139117ccb8363e76bc71cc1.jpg


I went with the "recon" trim color as opposed to the silver ...

19d4b160b5696fc9ae4e6d731082b636.jpg


I really love how you can lock it on and off the rack in seconds ... the key underneath latched/unlatches a squeeze clamp at the bottom, which grips at the front and back of the rack tubing while there's a hook at the front of the rack ... so no looseness or rattling.

e2f501da8007f1b1c075f9579cf40b00.jpg


As you can see, the 42-quart case is approved for use on Texas roads ...

df63bdb947619a711c426737d094039c.jpg


... and carries all the essentials for traveling ...

22db58030e80fc5f88b9784d7cacbaaa.jpg
 
Yeah, yeah, you got the hat. Got any cattle :P

The box looks good! A lot like my Givi. I like the way yours mounts on the rack too.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yeah, yeah, you got the hat. Got any cattle :P

The box looks good! A lot like my Givi. I like the way yours mounts on the rack too.
moto-discount also listed the TC-50 model with 48 quarts of storage for about $30 cheaper ... I imagine you could probably squeeze a baby calf in there. :thumbsup:
 
Did you need to cut the turn signal wires to get them installed or is there enough spare to support re-routing them to the new bracket?
 
Welcome to the forum, carwash.
 
zbillster_imp said:
My Hepco & Becker Journey TC-42 top case finally arrived from Germany via ebay seller moto-discount. Here are some blinding morning sun photos ...

af46e5e8a139117ccb8363e76bc71cc1.jpg


I went with the "recon" trim color as opposed to the silver ...

19d4b160b5696fc9ae4e6d731082b636.jpg


I really love how you can lock it on and off the rack in seconds ... the key underneath latched/unlatches a squeeze clamp at the bottom, which grips at the front and back of the rack tubing while there's a hook at the front of the rack ... so no looseness or rattling.

e2f501da8007f1b1c075f9579cf40b00.jpg


As you can see, the 42-quart case is approved for use on Texas roads ...

df63bdb947619a711c426737d094039c.jpg


... and carries all the essentials for traveling ...

22db58030e80fc5f88b9784d7cacbaaa.jpg
Looks good.
 
Welcome Carwash! Read post 17. It addresses the installation turn signal wiring.
 
Hi guys

Does anyone know of it also straight forward for 2014ex?
Don't want to go bankrupt before I know they fit.

Cheers

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
 
Isn’t the only real difference between the 14 std and the EX the wheels and exhaust?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Isn’t the only real difference between the 14 std and the EX the wheels and exhaust?
Not sure, but on eBay, they are sold separately.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
 
Man my bike is garaged and well cared for. The H&B chrome is failing and starting to rust. Pretty upset because this was NOT a cheap setup. I’m not sure how to post the photos here though. None of the factory chrome is doing this.
 
Givi chrome isn't the best either. I've seen newer racks start to bubble, keeping my fingers crossed on mine!
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Man my bike is garaged and well cared for. The H&B chrome is failing and starting to rust. Pretty upset because this was NOT a cheap setup. I’m not sure how to post the photos here though. None of the factory chrome is doing this.
ryanschillinger, start with this thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12717
 
Cormanus_imp said:
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Man my bike is garaged and well cared for. The H&B chrome is failing and starting to rust. Pretty upset because this was NOT a cheap setup. I’m not sure how to post the photos here though. None of the factory chrome is doing this.
ryanschillinger, start with this thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12717
ryanschillinger, start with this thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12717
Thanks. I used to use photo bucket but that shut down or something.
 
Imgur is the same deal but free. I prefer Postimages. The interface is a bit clunkier, but finding the links is easier.
 
Back
Top