Help - Overfilled Oil, how to remove?

saru2011_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi, I overfilled engin oil, and it’s way higher than the upper limit from the inspection window. Can you please let me know how to remove excessive oil? Thanks!
 
No problem re-using the crush washer. Some people don't ever replace them.

Also, unless you REALLY overfilled it (like, and extra quart by mistake), I'd just let it be. Many new bikes, including mine, were overfilled from the factory, and it functions just fine. Save yourself the mess.
 
saru2011_imp said:
Hi, I overfilled engin oil, and it’s way higher than the upper limit from the inspection window. Can you please let me know how to remove excessive oil? Thanks!
How much oil did you put in it?
 
It takes 4 quarts to fill, only check level after engine has been run and left sitting a couple minutes.
 
max_imp said:
loosen the oil filter , watch the level drop and tighten back up ?
Best bet is to go the drain plug route. It's the method with the least amount of cleanup involved, and the most controllable with how much you release.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'd crack open the drain bolt, then retighten when you think you've got enough out.
That's what I did; cracked open the drain plug, let it drip for a while until the level drops to where you want it and tighten it back up.
I've reused the washers many, many times on different bikes and have never had a leak.
Don't be too ham-fisted when you tighten the drain plug. Tight is tight enough. Torque value is 22 ft lbs which is plenty.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I crack opened the drain plug, a more controllable approach and drain about a quarter qt. Now the level is back to normal within the upper/lower bars.

Thanks again.
 
I recently drained (warm) and filled my oil with 1 gallon fresh oil per manual (reused the old Fram Ultra filter). Bike was on centerstand on level garage floor. Same thing, my oil level window is completely full,above the top fill line. Why is this? Do I need to remove oil to prevent problems? Is the manual's fill recommendation wrong?
 
Searcher_imp said:
I recently drained (warm) and filled my oil with 1 gallon fresh oil per manual (reused the old Fram Ultra filter). Bike was on centerstand on level garage floor. Same thing, my oil level window is completely full,above the top fill line. Why is this? Do I need to remove oil to prevent problems? Is the manual's fill recommendation wrong?
4 quarts is when you change the filter and oil. The oil filter holds the extra that didn't drain out.
 
kennyw_imp said:
Searcher_imp said:
I recently drained (warm) and filled my oil with 1 gallon fresh oil per manual (reused the old Fram Ultra filter). Bike was on centerstand on level garage floor. Same thing, my oil level window is completely full,above the top fill line. Why is this? Do I need to remove oil to prevent problems? Is the manual's fill recommendation wrong?
4 quarts is when you change the filter and oil. The oil filter holds the extra that didn't drain out.
4 quarts is when you change the filter and oil. The oil filter holds the extra that didn't drain out.
I think the manual states 4.0 quarts if you just drain the oil and reuse the filter and 4.1 quarts if you drain and replace the filter.
 
max_imp said:
loosen the oil filter , watch the level drop and tighten back up ?
This is not a good idea. When you loosen the oil filter there is a good chance that the rubber gasket will be displaced. I am not talking about it sticking to the engine case, which is also possible. But if you remove an oil filter and look closely at the gasket, it is common for it to be pulled out of position with the type of O-ring like gasket on Honda OEM filters. Rather than loosen it, remove the filter altogether and pour out the oil and then closely examine the gasket before you re-install the filter. Then restart the engine, and turn it off and let the bike sit for 15 minutes and check the oil window.
 
In the past, I purchased a squirt bottle that comes with a long straw and trigger, like you would find on a bottle of glass cleaner. Buy new so it is CLEAN. Stick the straw into the oil filler hole and manually pump out a small amount of excess oil. You can remove exactly the amount of oil that you want. No mess and you can buy a spray bottle for under two bucks. I store it in my oil drain pan with all of my other oil changing supplies....just in case. I’ve used it maybe three times in 35 years of motorcycling.
 
Thread starter
mjturmelle_imp said:
In the past, I purchased a squirt bottle that comes with a long straw and trigger, like you would find on a bottle of glass cleaner. Buy new so it is CLEAN. Stick the straw into the oil filler hole and manually pump out a small amount of excess oil. You can remove exactly the amount of oil that you want. No mess and you can buy a spray bottle for under two bucks. I store it in my oil drain pan with all of my other oil changing supplies....just in case. I’ve used it maybe three times in 35 years of motorcycling.
This is actually a very good idea. I was able to use this for my other bike (non CB). But, for CB, it's very difficult to stick the straw all the way to the place where we can pump it out. Unless you have a very thin/slim straw, long and flexible enough for you to get to the oil.
 
That's a neat idea but disastrous if the tube becomes separated from the trigger handle and slips into the crankcase! With my luck, it'd happen to me.
 
Just did my first oil and filter change.

Used only 4 quarts (not even 4.1 like the owner's manual states) and it's completely filling the sight glass with oil. Seems super odd. Should be perfect or even a bit low. I'm wondering if the type of filter has anything to do with it. I used K&N.

Anyway, I'm going to loosen the drain plug and drain a bit of oil out. But I think on my DLX the amount to correctly fill is actually 3.9 qts. And I think someone even stated that in a comment.
 
ChiefJP_imp said:
Just did my first oil and filter change.

Used only 4 quarts (not even 4.1 like the owner's manual states) and it's completely filling the sight glass with oil. Seems super odd. Should be perfect or even a bit low. I'm wondering if the type of filter has anything to do with it. I used K&N.

Anyway, I'm going to loosen the drain plug and drain a bit of oil out. But I think on my DLX the amount to correctly fill is actually 3.9 qts. And I think someone even stated that in a comment.
Is that with a new filter? Perhaps you need to crank the engine, so some oil goes into the filter.
 
Back
Top