Help Needed - Odometer & Tripometer Issues

goldeneye_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys, I just started riding my bike again this year, and when I passed 100 miles on the Trip, 2 things happened:
1. My Trip rest to 0 and started again
2. My Odometer did something crazy - I have about 2,300 miles on it, but when I switch to my Odometer, it shows r269. If I switch to km instead of miles, it shows -680.

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Ask me additional questions if you need more info.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
The first thing I would try is disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if everything resets
Ok, I just tried it, no luck. I left the cables off for about 15-20 min. Any other ides?
 
Sounds like it would be an issue with the electronics. Are you still under warranty?
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
Sounds like it would be an issue with the electronics. Are you still under warranty?
No idea. what's the warranty? I bought it less than a year ago, but it's a 2013 model.
 
Factory warranty is 1 year from the day it is purchased new I believe.
 
I'm wondering if there's any kind of back up battery which would serve to keep the stored info if the main battery is disconnected for a longer term (as in a winter lay up) ?

If so then it could be that this would also need pulling to do a de-power reset.

Really don't know though.
 
I would think odometer data would be written to a memory chip periodically (every second or perhaps more frequently?). So when you turn on the ignition, the stored odometer would be read from the memory chip. The reason I think this is the case is that all batteries fail so small backup battery would not be reliable enough for an odometer. The clock may be linked to the battery though. However, memory chips fail too so maybe that's the case here?
 
They do look like internal fault codes don't they?

There is nothing in the manual that I could find that shows any kind of codes like that. If your bike is still under warranty, I would get it to the dealer. If the meter assm. has to be replaced, you don't want to foot that bill. List is about $850 just for the part.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
They do look like internal fault codes don't they?

There is nothing in the manual that I could find that shows any kind of codes like that. If your bike is still under warranty, I would get it to the dealer. If the meter assm. has to be replaced, you don't want to foot that bill. List is about $850 just for the part.
Popgun.
Check to see where the speed sensor reads off the back wheel, follow that wire, I believe there is a connection under the right side cover. Maybe a loose connection or obstruction at the wheel. Fault codes would read different.
Edit::
If his trip reset and is working a doubt the above is the problem. Could be a fusible inline link. Maybe time to bring it in and run diagnostics check.
 
In the troubleshooting page for Rear wheel speed sensor/speedometer,

It says, The speedometer operates normally, but the odometer/trip meter does not operate--Faulty combination meter printed circuit board (is on Page 19-5 in the '13 manual)

It says that if the speedometer operation is abnormal to first check the main fuse (30A) and the sub fuse (METER,ILLUMI 10A)

The speed sensor connector is a 2P BU connector (2 pins, blue connector) and on the drawing on page 1-29 does look to be under the right side cover. Might have to lift the tank to get to it. It's in a plastic boot with some other connectors.

I'll let him do that. Reseating the meter connectors is going to take some disassembly of the meter.

If it is under warranty, take it to the dealer. For me, if my bike had the problem. Well being a electronic tech, I would check the fuses, then hunt down and reseat all the connectors associated with this. Would be somewhat of a pain, but I'm not spending ~850 bucks for a part until I clean and reseat all the connectors.
 
Any update on this, Goldeneye?
 
Thread starter
Update - brought it to Big St Charles Motorsports in St. Charles, MO. They just called me today. It's finished! There was an issue with the instrument cluster; Honda's paying for it.

I'm ready to get back riding again.
 
Back
Top