Help me find parts to mount highway pegs please

LikeAfox_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a set of stunt bars made by Ruchkagaza, highly recommend their product. The bars run along the frame and follow the lines of the bike perfectly. See photo

Yes, it's a cup holder. Fight me. :D

Now, I'm looking to mount a set of highway pegs or rubber padded foot rests on those bars. Something like that
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164518181124?hash=item264e0c3904:g:JisAAOSwBlhfsh0m

But my problem is that most, if not all of those are supposed to mount on vertical bars. Mine are horizontal. So what I'm looking for is a clamp similar to the one here, but spun 180 degrees. And also accomodate 1" bar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1537316293...nbiasedWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

Please let me know if you know anyone that sells that.
 
I use the Sw Motech ones from Twisted Throttle. They aren't cheap but they work well and look good.
Let me try again with a picture. It didn't work the first time./Users/nick/Desktop/cb pegs - 1.jpg
 
Thread starter
ampm7_imp said:
I use the Sw Motech ones from Twisted Throttle. They aren't cheap but they work well and look good.
Let me try again with a picture. It didn't work the first time./Users/nick/Desktop/cb pegs - 1.jpg
Do you have a link or part number?
 
I like the cup holder LikeAfox. How does the cup stay in there?
 
Oh, geez, Stichill, did you have to give that away after I've spent years cultivating an image as a conservative rider? :-/
 
I use the MFW pegs on my SW-Motech crash bars. The clamps are designed for universal fit, so you can mount them to just about any crash bar in any position. The clamps and pegs can be ordered separately, so you you can choose the type of pegs to put on. They're a bit pricey, but they're robust and well designed. I've ridden with mine for almost two years now with zero issues. Here are links to Twisted Throttle and RevZilla. You can probably also find them on Ebay.

MFW - Twisted Throttle

MFW Footpeg Mounts For Crashbars - RevZilla
 
Looking at the bars, there's a lot of area to clamp a peg on to, both horizontal and vertical. The farther away from the bar, the greater the chance that the peg will rotate when you really put pressure on it.

Those floorboards look like they have a fair amount of adjustability. Do you need to have them outboard of the crash bars, or forward, above the lower bar? then you could use the clamps you wanted, eliminate the bracket that comes with the pegs, and mount them on top without any worry of spinning them.


 
Thread starter
pekingduck,
The most comfortable position is closer to me, about where clutch cover ends.

KiowaEagle_imp said:
How many cup holders do you have? That's not the one I gave you....
It's that exact one. Now mounted on my CB500 by the way.


So I believe the problem is solved. Local bike shop had a set of crappy universal fit footpegs for like $24. They are nearly exact fit to my 1" bars, but the foot rests are terrible and cheap, no padding or anything. So I bought a set of passenger pegs from Vulcan 900, see picture


I'll see how well it works together when they get here. The trick was finding a set of pegs that allow for bot, vertical and horizontal mounting. Revzilla has a set for like $145, and that's just way too much money for what you get.

I'll update the post with pictures mlater
Roper_imp said:
I use the MFW pegs on my SW-Motech crash bars. The clamps are designed for universal fit, so you can mount them to just about any crash bar in any position. The clamps and pegs can be ordered separately, so you you can choose the type of pegs to put on. They're a bit pricey, but they're robust and well designed. I've ridden with mine for almost two years now with zero issues. Here are links to Twisted Throttle and RevZilla. You can probably also find them on Ebay.

MFW - Twisted Throttle

MFW Footpeg Mounts For Crashbars - RevZilla
Those were my first choice, but then you're limited to that specific peg mounting system. None of them are made for comfort from the looks of things. And also price. :s
Cormanus_imp said:
I like the cup holder LikeAfox. How does the cup stay in there?
The holder loop is tapered and also lined with rubber. The mug you see in the picture flew out after I hit a giant pothole at 50 mph. It's not a perfect system.
 
Yeah, Roper has the ones I was talking about. MFW at Twisted Throttle as they will fit most crash bars. The cheap ones pictured will break over time as I had them and they did just that.
 
ampm7_imp said:
Yeah, Roper has the ones I was talking about. MFW at Twisted Throttle as they will fit most crash bars. The cheap ones pictured will break over time as I had them and they did just that.
May I ask what the failure looked like? That is, what broke?
 
The fault was where the bolt goes through. Since they are cast and not billet, they are weaker in that area and after some time of them jiggling and weight put on them they could break off. As mine did...
 
ampm7_imp said:
The fault was where the bolt goes through. Since they are cast and not billet, they are weaker in that area and after some time of them jiggling and weight put on them they could break off. As mine did...
Huh. Good to know.
 
Thread starter
Yes, that's very similar to what I bought, the cheap generic stuff. I only plan on using the outer part of the semicircle to join with OEM kawasaki pegs. As is, those things are really heavy, awkward and do not lock in position at all.

MFW looks really well made, but I see potential issue here.

The choice of pegs is pretty low, and none are designed to mitigate vibrations. I'm looking for rubber pad/bumper style. CB1100 vibrates like a mofo at speed, put your feet on passenger pegs and you won't last a minute without feet going numb.

The mounting geometry doesn't allow for OEM style peg fitment, which is where the endless sea of replacement choices are. So if Kawasaki pegs aren't up to the task, I can choose from hundreds more.

Stay tuned for the writeup once the parts get here.
 
Can you use Goldwing highway pegs? I know they'll line up with the engine guards. Same width steel gaurds as the 14 Valkyrie. Worth a shot. Can be found cheap on ebay.
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
Yes, that's very similar to what I bought, the cheap generic stuff. I only plan on using the outer part of the semicircle to join with OEM kawasaki pegs. As is, those things are really heavy, awkward and do not lock in position at all.

MFW looks really well made, but I see potential issue here.

The choice of pegs is pretty low, and none are designed to mitigate vibrations. I'm looking for rubber pad/bumper style. CB1100 vibrates like a mofo at speed, put your feet on passenger pegs and you won't last a minute without feet going numb.

The mounting geometry doesn't allow for OEM style peg fitment, which is where the endless sea of replacement choices are. So if Kawasaki pegs aren't up to the task, I can choose from hundreds more.

Stay tuned for the writeup once the parts get here.
That was my initial concern as well. Here's what I found riding with the the solid mount pegs for a couple of years: 1) I only ride with my feet on the forward pegs for about 15 minutes at a time--just long enough to unfold my legs and give my knees a break--then my feet are back in the normal position for about another 45 minutes. 2) When I'm wearing my riding boots, I feel only a light buzz through the pegs, and that's going between 65-75 mph. Maybe that's because I put custom insoles in my boots. IDK. 3) I'm stopping for gas about every 2 hours anyway when I go on longer trips, so I use the highway pegs less than I thought I would.

YMMV.
 
Roper_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
Yes, that's very similar to what I bought, the cheap generic stuff. I only plan on using the outer part of the semicircle to join with OEM kawasaki pegs. As is, those things are really heavy, awkward and do not lock in position at all.

MFW looks really well made, but I see potential issue here.

The choice of pegs is pretty low, and none are designed to mitigate vibrations. I'm looking for rubber pad/bumper style. CB1100 vibrates like a mofo at speed, put your feet on passenger pegs and you won't last a minute without feet going numb.

The mounting geometry doesn't allow for OEM style peg fitment, which is where the endless sea of replacement choices are. So if Kawasaki pegs aren't up to the task, I can choose from hundreds more.

Stay tuned for the writeup once the parts get here.
That was my initial concern as well. Here's what I found riding with the the solid mount pegs for a couple of years: 1) I only ride with my feet on the forward pegs for about 15 minutes at a time--just long enough to unfold my legs and give my knees a break--then my feet are back in the normal position for about another 45 minutes. 2) When I'm wearing my riding boots, I feel only a light buzz through the pegs, and that's going between 65-75 mph. Maybe that's because I put custom insoles in my boots. IDK. 3) I'm stopping for gas about every 2 hours anyway when I go on longer trips, so I use the highway pegs less than I thought I would.

YMMV.
That sounds like reasonable use to me.
 
MFW do a rubber peg now. I know because they released it last year just after I ordered sold pillion pegs!

 
Yes, there is quite a bit of vibration in the pegs. Not as much on the CB as my former FZ1. They are not good for the long haul but give you chance to change your riding position for 15-30 minutes. I have to use them as I am having a hip replacement next month as I simply cannot ride much anymore without severe pain and lifting my left leg on to the peg helps to alleviate it somewhat.
 
Back
Top