Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
+1 Red,redbirds_imp said:Unless your intention is getting a knee down in the corners, I can't imagine what issues one would have with the cornering ability of the CB. Perhaps you could explain the problem.
kDiqq, with due respect, I can't agree with your assessment of the CBs cornering qualities. I have had enough experience of standard (vintage by today's standards), modern naked street, sport and sport touring bikes to believe that the CB, while not perfect, certainly holds it own. For example, recently I spent about 1500miles on an FJR1300 over some fairly demanding roads. The FJR was certainly appealing, no I would have to say impressive, due to the power differential but to tip in and hold, and adjust, a line I could have easily done with the CB. In fact I envied my riding companions who were riding their CBs. I have had extensive experience on a VFR750 and when I went to a dealer for a new bike I spent half a day test riding the VFR800. The 800 was appealing but a different beast to the 750. I then test rode the CB. I returned to the dealer and put down my deposit the CB. OK most of the appeal was in the "retro" factor but the all-round qualities, and elegant simplicity, of the CB was the clincher. Since then I have put up 55,000kms on the CB. Most of my CB riding has been touring over a wide variety of roads - good surface highways, country roads with sweepers and twisties, average surface and approaching goat track mountain roads, lots of dirt and gravel. Carrying a good fair load of camping gear is the norm. The only adjustment I have made to the suspension is to increase the rear preload by one notch. Easy. The tyres I have used were the OEM D205s, BT45s and then non-standard size PR3s. I now have a brand new set of Pirelli Angel GTs fitted. The bike cornered well with all those shoes, although I do have a preference for the Michies. As yet I haven't put a lot of miles on the Pirellis but they seem OK.kDiqq_imp said:Yeah, the CB is wide, the suspension is way too soft and lacks adjustment, and I can't put better tires under it due to the odd size. That and it just doesn't seem to transfer it's large weight very easily.
Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
The only one I've found locally is at the Honda dealer I bought my CB from and I won't return there due to a really poor experience. 
. 
Tink, do I get it right, that you also lowered the front by 19mm?TINK_imp said:First, I have to agree that the CB1100 OEM suspension is "lacking"... :dodgy: that's why the first mod I did to my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe was a suspension upgrade > http://www.photosbytink.com/cb1100forksprings/
Now I find that the CB is a very capable canyon carver
I also own a 2000 VFR800 with stock suspension, set to my liking. While one cannot compare the CB and the VFR suspensions one-to-one (apples to oranges) they are both capable motorcycles in the hands of a skilled rider.
The biggest difference between the CB's Inline-4 and the VFR's V-4 is the power delivery. The CB has a flat short torque curve between 3K and 6K RPM, while the VFR has a very wide torque curve from 2K to 10K RPM.
TINK
Tink, do I get it right, that you also lowered the front by 19mm?Django_imp said:Tink, do I get it right, that you also lowered the front by 19mm?TINK_imp said:First, I have to agree that the CB1100 OEM suspension is "lacking"... :dodgy: that's why the first mod I did to my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe was a suspension upgrade > http://www.photosbytink.com/cb1100forksprings/
Now I find that the CB is a very capable canyon carver
I also own a 2000 VFR800 with stock suspension, set to my liking. While one cannot compare the CB and the VFR suspensions one-to-one (apples to oranges) they are both capable motorcycles in the hands of a skilled rider.
The biggest difference between the CB's Inline-4 and the VFR's V-4 is the power delivery. The CB has a flat short torque curve between 3K and 6K RPM, while the VFR has a very wide torque curve from 2K to 10K RPM.
TINK
Almost every Japanese motorcycle I've ever owned needed stronger springs in the front forks. Japanese engineers design to a 170lb rider, I'm 200 out of the shower :blush:, add gear I'm more like 220. That's a 50lb difference.kDiqq_imp said:Tink, I actually followed your guide to put in new springs and it made a WORLD of difference!!! Even if it hadn't done anything handling (which it did vastly improve handling) the difference in braking alone would have justified the cost! OMG It stops SO much better. Without the dive, it feels like I'm actually planted and not going to skitter away.
I'm gonna go test ride a few bikes this week and see what tickles me. If I'm REALLY sold on something else, I will save up enough cash by February to let the CB go at a decent price and not have worry about any more loans.
I swear, if I only had like 4 or 5 more bikes, I think I may be satisfied haha
Not any more, I retired last year. Now all my riding is at my pleasure. :biker:kDiqq_imp said:Shoot, I'm 170lbs and had issues haha but it was a huge improvement over factory springs/fluid.
You commute in LA?? Alright, you win.