Help, I'm falling for a white Interceptor...

kDiqq_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Not dissatisfied you say? Could have fooled me with your description.

Sell it if you want. Ride what you want. Spend what you want. I will not tell you what to do either way.
 
Ive sat on a new white VFR, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't ride it much further than around the block. Way too aggressive ergos for me. They are cool bikes though. Tonk has one and so does MetallyGuitarded I think.
 
I'm hoping to get my wife to sit on one. Concerned about the ergos, like Mickey said, but maybe some bar risers would help. Won't know till our dealer gets one, though.
 
The tragic tale of metallyguitarded's parting from his beloved VFR can be found here.
 
Thread starter
In a perfect world, I can go get the VFR, keep my CB, and my wife is thrilled that I can have a toy collection. I'd have to abandon the CB for a VFR. I'm certainly not ready to abandon the CB just yet. I have a super bad habit of selling and buying a bike every 10mos or so and I'm thinking this may just blow over. I do have a young back, but I'm not sure I want to stress it at all.

I'm gonna stop by a Honda dealer, sit on one, fiddle with it, and see what it feels like.

How's the aftermarket on the 8th gen??

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Well, there is your problem. Stop looking, and enjoy what you have. :P
 
Thread starter
Story of my life. But bikes are so cool!!! And again, not dissatisfied with my CB, I just have a few qualms... like with any bike... idk what I will do. I like the CB so much as is, hopefully some good discussion will sway me away from a VFR!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Don't look to me to convince you one way or the other, kDigg, I own BOTH! :thumbsup:

2000 VFR800 (5th Gen, the best Gen)


TINK
 
kDiqq, I've a feeling change is in your make up. If regret is not also a factor, you'll be fine; if it is, be very careful.
 
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Wait a minute - did no one notice this part? :D
Say what? You've got a Pinzgauer on the way?
Details, please!
 
The VFR is a middle weight, ride it before you buy. I was not impressed and that was coming off the CB. Its 500 lbs and puts out a little over 40 ft lbs of torque up to 6500 rpm's where it kicks in. You can feel the lag and its not pleasant. The riding position is aggressive similar to my XX. You'll push out of corners just as hard on the CB and keep up with the VFR except on the straights. If your buddies are riding SS your not keeping up with the VFR. It puts out just over 90HP and that's all on top.
 
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
I think you have done that yourself :) .

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Wait a minute - did no one notice this part? :D
Say what? You've got a Pinzgauer on the way?
Details, please!
Wait a minute - did no one notice this part? :D
Say what? You've got a Pinzgauer on the way?
Details, please!
Haha I'm glad someone caught that! I just bought an Austrian surplus Pinzgauer, it's currently sailing from Belgium to Oakland, CA. It was fully restored by the Austrian military in the 1990's and hopefully should be here by mid-August! If you want anymore info, I'm more than happy to share!

CIP57_imp said:
The VFR is a middle weight, ride it before you buy. I was not impressed and that was coming off the CB. Its 500 lbs and puts out a little over 40 ft lbs of torque up to 6500 rpm's where it kicks in. You can feel the lag and its not pleasant. The riding position is aggressive similar to my XX. You'll push out of corners just as hard on the CB and keep up with the VFR except on the straights. If your buddies are riding SS your not keeping up with the VFR. It puts out just over 90HP and that's all on top.
I'm not looking for a full-on sport bike though. I want something moderately quicker than the CB (not looking for much, if any) but can handle corners MUCH better. On the flip side, when we take long rides, I want to be able to pound out those miles without my spine being destroyed. Or having to rest my arm on the tank like I've seen SS bike riders do.
 
kDiqq_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
So lately I've been looking at bikes. Actually, truth be told, Im always looking at bikes. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the CB, but after looking at the VFR800, I keep thinking it'd be really nice to have real suspension, heated grips, cancelling turn signals, adjustable seat, a windscreen, and the roar of a V4. I haven't test ridden one yet or anything. And with my Pinzgauer 710M on the way, I'm not poised to be spending any more money for a while. But I keep thinking the VFR would make a super dope touring bike that my sport bike riding friends wouldn't totally run away from in the corners. I am worried though that the riding position is too low for long distances. Anyone else done any exploring of the latest gen VFRs?! Can anyone convince me that my lust is unjustified and the CB is far better? Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Wait a minute - did no one notice this part? :D
Say what? You've got a Pinzgauer on the way?
Details, please!
Wait a minute - did no one notice this part? :D
Say what? You've got a Pinzgauer on the way?
Details, please!
Haha I'm glad someone caught that! I just bought an Austrian surplus Pinzgauer, it's currently sailing from Belgium to Oakland, CA. It was fully restored by the Austrian military in the 1990's and hopefully should be here by mid-August! If you want anymore info, I'm more than happy to share!

CIP57_imp said:
The VFR is a middle weight, ride it before you buy. I was not impressed and that was coming off the CB. Its 500 lbs and puts out a little over 40 ft lbs of torque up to 6500 rpm's where it kicks in. You can feel the lag and its not pleasant. The riding position is aggressive similar to my XX. You'll push out of corners just as hard on the CB and keep up with the VFR except on the straights. If your buddies are riding SS your not keeping up with the VFR. It puts out just over 90HP and that's all on top.
I'm not looking for a full-on sport bike though. I want something moderately quicker than the CB (not looking for much, if any) but can handle corners MUCH better. On the flip side, when we take long rides, I want to be able to pound out those miles without my spine being destroyed. Or having to rest my arm on the tank like I've seen SS bike riders do.
Keep the CB and look for a used street oriented "adventure" bike. As example, the Triumph Tiger 1050. Over 100hp, lots of low end grunt, broad power band from just off idle to the rev limiter. Silky smooth triple with comfortable ergos and plenty of touring accessories. I loved the one I had for 5 years and completely trouble free, just got tired of the height at my short stature. With a set of PR2 Michelins my Tiger would stay with any sport bike at any sane public road speed and do it in complete comfort.

2c25160d201e7bc85355817856f1bc61.jpg


c54b91c551aa1587a0a5b0db18af0cec.jpg

As far as finding a bike that can handle corners much better than the CB. Mine handles corners about as well as any bike I have ever ridden. Following the Ferret on NC's twisty roads gave me a lesson on the CB's fine handling qualities. A change to better, stickier tires like Michelin PR3's makes a difference also in boosting one's confidence.
 
Thread starter
Well, unfortunately I am limited to one bike right now. Otherwise, I'd get a DR650 and an RC51 and keep the CB :D I can dream, right? Just looking for something that does touring/commuting well enough for a young guy like myself and still can be dipped in to a corner without issues. The VFR looks like it's the right package, PLUS the sound of a V4... Oh man...

Luckily, I have a BUNCH of time to make a decision
 
Depends on your age and physical state. If your in good shape, it could be possible. VFR's really do have a beautiful sound. But, that riding position takes it's toll.

I had a VFR and I'm glad I did it. A bike you can look back on with fond memories.

I would advise looking for a clean, used 6th gen. It's got the same engine and frame as the "8th" gen and they are available in quantity at about half the price. You can get that V4 bug out of your system without too much of a depreciation hit.
 
Unless your intention is getting a knee down in the corners, I can't imagine what issues one would have with the cornering ability of the CB. Perhaps you could explain the problem.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Unless your intention is getting a knee down in the corners, I can't imagine what issues one would have with the cornering ability of the CB. Perhaps you could explain the problem.
I'm not kDiggm, but I'd say lack of ground clearance, weight/weight distribution, excessively soft suspension, tire availability are all issues I have with my CB's cornering ability.
 
Back
Top