Help a potential buyer out?

Verdecken_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey all! I'm on the younger side at 25, but I've wanted a CB1100 since they were announced. My first bike a couple of years ago was a '71 CB750 and I loved it. Unfortunately, it had quite a few issues and previous owners had butchered it a bit so I let it go. I'm currently on a 2015 FZ07, but it just doesn't have that CB feel.

I found a 2014 CB1100 STD for $6300 and ~3k miles about 160 miles from me, so I can't just go check it out. Does this seem like a good deal?

I'm also interested to see if anyone has put on aftermarket exhausts? I've done some googling but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I like the look of some Cycle Exchange pipes, which are made for the 70s-80s 750s through 1100s. Does anyone know if these would work on a new CB1100 even though they're not designed for them? Is the geometry similar enough?

Anyway, if I can get the price and trade that I want, I may be posting about my new CB this weekend!!! Thanks in advance for all of your help and info.

http://www.big4cycle.com/showcaseproduct...593&Used=1
 
Verdecken_imp said:
Hey all! I'm on the younger side at 25, but I've wanted a CB1100 since they were announced. My first bike a couple of years ago was a '71 CB750 and I loved it. Unfortunately, it had quite a few issues and previous owners had butchered it a bit so I let it go. I'm currently on a 2015 FZ07, but it just doesn't have that CB feel.

I found a 2014 CB1100 STD for $6300 and ~3k miles about 160 miles from me, so I can't just go check it out. Does this seem like a good deal?

I'm also interested to see if anyone has put on aftermarket exhausts? I've done some googling but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I like the look of some Cycle Exchange pipes, which are made for the 70s-80s 750s through 1100s. Does anyone know if these would work on a new CB1100 even though they're not designed for them? Is the geometry similar enough?

Anyway, if I can get the price and trade that I want, I may be posting about my new CB this weekend!!! Thanks in advance for all of your help and info.

http://www.big4cycle.com/showcaseproduct...593&Used=1

Sounds like a pretty good deal.:beerchug:
 
Sounds like a good deal to me too.

I looked at the Cycle Exchange pipes and I think a member has something pretty much like that on his bike. You can spend a LOT of time here searching on exhausts and see a LOT of them.

You do have to make sure you can get to the oil filter.
 
If the bike is essentially "as new" then that sounds like a good deal...I will not get into the exhaust issue..I have OEM on my 2014 and I am fine with it...
I bought my 2014 std less than two weeks ago for $8600 out the door brand new and I feel like I stole it.
(I actually traded two bikes for it AFTER I had the out-the-door price quoted and the dealer gave me what I asked for in trade. No hassle.)
I took a spirited ride this morning and as my 23rd bike since 2008 I was ga-ga over the performance and handling...

Only saying,
Bob, age 79
 
Thread starter
Bokobob_imp said:
If the bike is essentially "as new" then that sounds like a good deal...I will not get into the exhaust issue..I have OEM on my 2014 and I am fine with it...
I bought my 2014 std less than two weeks ago for $8600 out the door brand new and I feel like I stole it.
(I actually traded two bikes for it AFTER I had the out-the-door price quoted and the dealer gave me what I asked for in trade. No hassle.)
I took a spirited ride this morning and as my 23rd bike since 2008 I was ga-ga over the performance and handling...

Only saying,
Bob, age 79
I was just reading your thread last night, Bob! Glad you're loving it so much. I am definitely not planning on swapping exhausts immediately, but I love the symmetry of a good 4-2. Maybe I'll cave and pick up one of those 4-4 people have posted. haha. That $8600 truly is a steal! I wish I could go to your dealer. :thumbsup:
 
It's very personal, but the the four into four; at least the one I heard, was very nice and I love the look. But I like the quiet on the stock unit. She looks better than OK (my Griso stock can is something only a mother can like and it has grown on me so my standards are very flexible) and on a recent 1K trip, was not fatiguing. Dang wind was, but the noise wasn't.

Something else to keep in mind. When it comes time to sell; stock sells much better than tarted up. Do what you want, but if you can make it stock again, it will sell faster for more money. Especially if you don't keep a bike for that long.
 
I know Ken at Cycle Exchange. He helped me with parts when I was rebuilding the engine in my CB750 chopper. I suggest you give him a call and see what he thinks of fitting his exhausts to the CB1100.
 
Rboe_imp said:
It's very personal, but the the four into four; at least the one I heard, was very nice and I love the look. But I like the quiet on the stock unit. She looks better than OK (my Griso stock can is something only a mother can like and it has grown on me so my standards are very flexible) and on a recent 1K trip, was not fatiguing. Dang wind was, but the noise wasn't.

Something else to keep in mind. When it comes time to sell; stock sells much better than tarted up. Do what you want, but if you can make it stock again, it will sell faster for more money. Especially if you don't keep a bike for that long.
I was looking at a very clean V-Rod a few weeks ago. The bike was unmolested except for an aftermarket Vance and Hines exhaust. I asked the seller if he still had the stock exhaust. He thought I was nuts. That was the end of that.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
It's very personal, but the the four into four; at least the one I heard, was very nice and I love the look. But I like the quiet on the stock unit. She looks better than OK (my Griso stock can is something only a mother can like and it has grown on me so my standards are very flexible) and on a recent 1K trip, was not fatiguing. Dang wind was, but the noise wasn't.

Something else to keep in mind. When it comes time to sell; stock sells much better than tarted up. Do what you want, but if you can make it stock again, it will sell faster for more money. Especially if you don't keep a bike for that long.
Good points! I definitely am not dead set on an exhaust, especially if it's pricey, and I hold off on major mods for a year to make sure I'm keeping the ride. lol. I'd never just get rid of the stock exhaust either, I have experienced the benefit of selling stock.

INTP_imp said:
I know Ken at Cycle Exchange. He helped me with parts when I was rebuilding the engine in my CB750 chopper. I suggest you give him a call and see what he thinks of fitting his exhausts to the CB1100.
Thanks! I'll do that if I get the bike. It's not an immediate concern, just kind of wanted to ask as it was on my mind.
 
Peeped out the bike. Looked in good condition. Its acutally been there since at least early summer & the guy that owns the place will be ready to get rid of it i'd imagine since they don't even really care about selling motorcycles anymore.
 
Thread starter
1ate7records_imp said:
Peeped out the bike. Looked in good condition. Its acutally been there since at least early summer & the guy that owns the place will be ready to get rid of it i'd imagine since they don't even really care about selling motorcycles anymore.
Great to hear. Them not selling bikes explains why they wouldn't offer me a trade in on my FZ07. Hopefully I can find a buyer for my bike so I can go down and pick up the CB. The Newburgh dealer has a good deal on a new 2014, but they don't want to give me enough on my trade for me to afford it. I am hoping for good news on my listing so I can come back here and let everyone know I bought a CB! :beerchug:
 
Good luck, Verdecken. We'll be waiting to hear how you get on.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good luck, Verdecken. We'll be waiting to hear how you get on.
Thanks!! As a talking point while I let craigslist do its magic, I would like some opinions. If you (members of CB1100 forum) are buying a 2014 standard, would you pay 6300 for used with 3k miles, or 8500 for new?
 
That's a personal decision. If $2200 is significant in your life, buy the used bike and don't look back. It sounds like a great deal, and 3k miles is nothing. If the difference in price isn't that important, buy the new bike and enjoy that new car smell. Me? I saved thousands by buying a clean used DLX. I couldn't justify the cost of a new one, even if I could have located one.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
That's a personal decision. If $2200 is significant in your life, buy the used bike and don't look back. It sounds like a great deal, and 3k miles is nothing. If the difference in price isn't that important, buy the new bike and enjoy that new car smell. Me? I saved thousands by buying a clean used DLX. I couldn't justify the cost of a new one, even if I could have located one.
same here.
almost got a new STD, but just $800 more for a used deluxe with about 3000 miles. couldn't resist for the model i really wanted.
 
Verdecken_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Good luck, Verdecken. We'll be waiting to hear how you get on.
Thanks!! As a talking point while I let craigslist do its magic, I would like some opinions. If you (members of CB1100 forum) are buying a 2014 standard, would you pay 6300 for used with 3k miles, or 8500 for new?
If the bike was cared for and broken-in responsibly...you're ahead with the used one. That's scarcely enough use to burn the wax off the headers.

If you get a brand-new one, and you want it to last...you have to baby it for the first 800 miles or so. That's a pain.

If you can get a better financing deal with the new (my credit union loaned me at two percent) then go that way. Otherwise...two grand is two grand. That's some serious money; and this being a Honda and a substantial machine, it WILL last - maybe longer than you can ride it.
 
Back
Top