helmet size/fit

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I promise I searched. I wear a 2x in Bell helmets for street riding. xl for track. the other day I tried on a 2x HJC at a dealer and it fit like a Bell xl. anyone know if this is common across bell/hjc ?
 
Thread starter
ended up buying a scorpion EXO-AT950 Neocon Helmet - Dual Lens in Orange (orange trim)

this is an Awesome helmet! I love it! It's my first modular helmet. It is a 3XL and fits like a Bell 2XL, maybe even a bit more snug.
 
Weird how helmets are sized. Scorpion XL is my perfect size/head shape in their full-face models, but I had a Scorpion XL modular and had to give it to someone because it didn't work as well for me.

Newer Scorpions are supposed to me more accommodating for longer-headed riders. I bought an EXO-420 in January, and it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.
 
i think it have to do with the shape of the helmet as well. I felt that Bell are more "round" on the Skull area while HJC is abit more oblong... the proper sizing will depends on the shape of your head matching to the shape of the helmet. Thus some people can never get the proper fitting in certain brand. Best is test few brands until the perfect match is found.
 
FWIW, I've tried several brands of helmets and finally settled on HJC for the fit, price and general good quality.
I had one crash in an HJC flip-up and it held together fine - my dislocated shoulder didn't handle it so well :D
 
It's funny but about 100 miles or so north of me is a motorcycle accessory mega store called Iron Pony

https://www.ironpony.com/

They carry about every type, size ,color of motorcycle helmet made which you are free to try on. We go up about once a year and meander, try on helmets, jackets and boots and gloves. etc

Anyhow I have tried on every helmet from Schubert to Bell to Arai, to Shark, to Nolan, to Shoei, to Scorpion, to Icon, and HJC and the HJC's always make me say AHHHHH when I put them on. They are just the most comfortable for me.Probably why I have like 9 HJC's sitting on the shelf i rotate wearing lol. I think my son fits best in a Shoei, his father in law in a Bell. The absolute worst for both my son and I were the Schuberths.

Most of the time I wear one of my HJC modulars, which is almost all the time since I wear glasses and they make it so much easier to put on and take off my glasses, or grab a drink of water from the bottle in my tank bag, but when I do put on one of the full faces, every time I stop, I try and lift the face bar which of course doesn't lift. LOL
 
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny but about 100 miles or so north of me is a motorcycle accessory mega store called Iron Pony

https://www.ironpony.com/

They carry about every type, size ,color of motorcycle helmet made which you are free to try on. We go up about once a year and meander, try on helmets, jackets and boots and gloves. etc

Anyhow I have tried on every helmet from Schubert to Bell to Arai, to Shark, to Nolan, to Shoei, to Scorpion, to Icon, and HJC and the HJC's always make me say AHHHHH when I put them on. They are just the most comfortable for me.Probably why I have like 9 HJC's sitting on the shelf i rotate wearing lol. I think my son fits best in a Shoei, his father in law in a Bell. The absolute worst for both my son and I were the Schuberths.

Most of the time I wear one of my HJC modulars, which is almost all the time since I wear glasses and they make it so much easier to put on and take off my glasses, or grab a drink of water from the bottle in my tank bag, but when I do put on one of the full faces, every time I stop, I try and lift the face bar which of course doesn't lift. LOL
Your experience is much like mine which is why I settled on HJC and have been wearing them for at least 20+ years.
I always choose white for the visibility factor.
 
HJC is my go-to brand for form/fit/function/price. I'm still using one I bought umpteen years ago, but I've owned others, and am shopping for another modular. My previous modular kept my brainpan intact when I experienced an unplanned get-off a couple of years ago. The helmet itself was scuffed but didn't have any apparent structural damage, and I toyed with the idea of replacing the clear shield and keep using it, but I was advised that that is not a good idea. At an on-sale price, they're reasonably inexpensive.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
HJC is my go-to brand for form/fit/function/price. I'm still using one I bought umpteen years ago, but I've owned others, and am shopping for another modular. My previous modular kept my brainpan intact when I experienced an unplanned get-off a couple of years ago. The helmet itself was scuffed but didn't have any apparent structural damage, and I toyed with the idea of replacing the clear shield and keep using it, but I was advised that that is not a good idea. At an on-sale price, they're reasonably inexpensive.
Smart move. Your noggin is too valuable to not spend a couple of hundred dollars for a new helmet.
The general acceptance is - one crash, and it has hit the ground, toss it.
 
My Honda dealer has an accessory area where I can try on helmets. I bought a Bell Mag-9 because I like peak, flip down sun shade and clear visor. It was fine around the city but too noisy on the highway. Took me a summer to find comfortable ear plugs so I could use the helmet.

Bought a Shoei RF-1200 for the highway. It was quiet on the highways but very tight fitting. "You can't chew gum in a Shoei." The dealer said it would break in. It didn't.

Bought a pair of $50 thinner cheek pads but the straps are shorter and harder to connect. Maybe I should have just put the thicker cheek pads under something heavy for the winter.

Best advice, find a place to try on helmets and try them all not just the manufacturer you prefer. The best helmet is one that is comfortable and quiet.
 
I actually washed the interior padding of my buckets today (*ick*). Now that all the waxy and black soot is gone, they actually look and smell like new again.
 
Back
Top