Helmet Review AGV K3

Gus

First service completed
Thread starter
I bought this helmet for all of the right reasons. The red one is almost a perfect match to my 2014 DLX. After 3 years riding with it, there is one feature that puts it head and shoulders above any other helmet I have ever worn. (how is that for a tease?)

Shoei has been my go-to helmet for my entire streetbike riding career, 35-some years. They have moved upmarket in the last decade or so, but I have always found Shoei to be good value. Plus, I have an humongous head, and Shoei has always had a size that fits me. I’m not talking too tight when it is on. There are many brands that, even in the largest size, I can’t even get the neck portion over my head. The K3 comes in 3 shell sizes, and their largest (2XL, 63-64cm) fits me. There are plenty of 2XL helmets that I can’t even get on my head.

The leading feature? The aero. It slices through the air unlike any other helmet I’ve worn, especially at freeway speeds. I don’t have to tell you guys & gals what kind of advantage that is on an unfaired bike. I can tell the difference of less neck and upper back fatigue in as little as two hours of riding. In an 8- or 10-hour day, it’s the difference between enjoying my evening or feeling like I need a visit to the chiropractor.

It is not just the head-on wind; it is also better in crosswinds. How they do it, I don’t know. It just works.

AGV K3 plusses: Aero, sizing for larger heads, ECE 22.06 certification, flip down sunvisor (something I have always thought was a gimmick, but I like not having to mess with sunglasses any more), pinlock capability (you have to buy it separately), and price (currently $319 at Revzilla). Oh, and it’s the perfect color match if you have a red CB.

AGV K3 minuses: A little noisy (I always wear the pink 33db reduction Max earplugs), and not great ventilation. There is one plus with the ventilation. There is a tab right below the middle of the visor that will just barely crack the visor open. I think it is intended for cool, foggy conditions, but I find myself using it most of the time. It is way better than that side tab that Shoei uses, which is great for defrosting the visor left side while your right side totally fogs up.

Check it out!
Gus
 
That red is a pretty good match for the CB1100.
How would you rate the shape of the helmet... round, oval, peanut-head, etc.?
 
Thread starter
That red is a pretty good match for the CB1100.
How would you rate the shape of the helmet... round, oval, peanut-head, etc.?
Oops, I forgot to include a picture.

It is advertised as "intermediate oval." I can't really comment on my head shape, just that the AGV is all-day comfortable. My Shoei's over the years have tended to be tight around the forehead, especially right in the middle.

I ordered it at Cycle Gear so I could try out the fit without having to mess with a mail order return.

Gus
 

Attachments

  • 20231005_120741.webp
    20231005_120741.webp
    473.4 KB · Views: 4
I bought my helmet at Cycle Gear, too, for the same reason. I have been back a couple of times to help with a few adjustments and they have been very accomodating.

Interesting that the shape helps with crosswinds. I wear a Shoeii Air 3 and have noticed that a strong cross wind for an extended time does strain my neck a little. David
 
Back
Top