Helmet Poll

Guth_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I have a 3/4 helmet that I purchased before I had enough knowledge. With a retro styled leather jacket, a 3/4 would sure look good with our bike, but I can't bring myself to give up the full face, even for one ride.

I've been all about the Snell rating up until now, but I think my next lid will be a Shoei GT Air with a built in sun visor which precludes it from being Snell-approved...my research indicates to me that the helmet is just as safe as their helmets without the built in visor.
I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.
I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.
Here's an interesting Snell approved solution to the sun visor issue. Shown is my new Arai RX-Q with the Arai Pro Shade System. The Pro Shade is an option for some of the new Arais, but at around $100 for just the System, it ain't cheap. It is, however, an integral system that includes the clear shield. The tinted portion can also be locked in the up position for use as just a visor when the clear screen is down. I haven't had a chance to try it on the bike yet as we are still in the full throes of winter, but am looking forward to seeing how it works. My head is very sensitive to helmet fit, and I've found Arai are the only brand that keeps my melon happy.


[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00236_zpsc19e5bfb.jpg.html]
 
I wear a full face Scorpion EXO-700 and also own a Scorpion half shell that I rarely wear. Lately I've been considering going with a modular helmet, checking options...
 
Scoob interesting looking helmet. That also has the pinlock anti fog on it doesn't it?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Scoob interesting looking helmet. That also has the pinlock anti fog on it doesn't it?
Ferret, it's pinlock ready, but my screen doesn't have it as of yet, though I do plan on looking into it. Have never used pinlock before, usually just crack the bottom of the screen open if it starts fogging. To be honest I don't know much about pinlock, but have heard good things about it.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I have a 3/4 helmet that I purchased before I had enough knowledge. With a retro styled leather jacket, a 3/4 would sure look good with our bike, but I can't bring myself to give up the full face, even for one ride.

I've been all about the Snell rating up until now, but I think my next lid will be a Shoei GT Air with a built in sun visor which precludes it from being Snell-approved...my research indicates to me that the helmet is just as safe as their helmets without the built in visor.
I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.
I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.
Here's an interesting Snell approved solution to the sun visor issue. Shown is my new Arai RX-Q with the Arai Pro Shade System. The Pro Shade is an option for some of the new Arais, but at around $100 for just the System, it ain't cheap. It is, however, an integral system that includes the clear shield. The tinted portion can also be locked in the up position for use as just a visor when the clear screen is down. I haven't had a chance to try it on the bike yet as we are still in the full throes of winter, but am looking forward to seeing how it works. My head is very sensitive to helmet fit, and I've found Arai are the only brand that keeps my melon happy.


[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00236_zpsc19e5bfb.jpg.html]

I forgot to mention that I'm using the Pro Shade setup on my Arai. I understand and appreciate Arai's philosophy to keep the helmet shape itself as round and smooth as possible and design the external components to break away in the event of a crash. The Pro Shade fits in with this way of thinking and it works alright, but I have to admit that it isn't nearly as slick as the built-in system featured on the GT Air. I'll be replacing my current helmet in a few months and find myself torn between the GT Air and Arai's new Defiant design (which is claimed to be designed with riders of naked/standard bikes in mind who enjoy a more upright riding position).
 
Guth_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I have a 3/4 helmet that I purchased before I had enough knowledge. With a retro styled leather jacket, a 3/4 would sure look good with our bike, but I can't bring myself to give up the full face, even for one ride.

I've been all about the Snell rating up until now, but I think my next lid will be a Shoei GT Air with a built in sun visor which precludes it from being Snell-approved...my research indicates to me that the helmet is just as safe as their helmets without the built in visor.
I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.
I've never worn anything other than a full face helmet. Doubt I'll ever change. Since returning to riding, I've only worn Arai helmets, but I too am considering the Shoe GT Air for my next lid. My understanding is that SNELL won't even bother testing the helmet due to the built in sun visor. But I like the things I've read about it and it is certainly comfortable and a good fit for my head shape. Very tempting.
Here's an interesting Snell approved solution to the sun visor issue. Shown is my new Arai RX-Q with the Arai Pro Shade System. The Pro Shade is an option for some of the new Arais, but at around $100 for just the System, it ain't cheap. It is, however, an integral system that includes the clear shield. The tinted portion can also be locked in the up position for use as just a visor when the clear screen is down. I haven't had a chance to try it on the bike yet as we are still in the full throes of winter, but am looking forward to seeing how it works. My head is very sensitive to helmet fit, and I've found Arai are the only brand that keeps my melon happy.


[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/DSC00236_zpsc19e5bfb.jpg.html]

I forgot to mention that I'm using the Pro Shade setup on my Arai. I understand and appreciate Arai's philosophy to keep the helmet shape itself as round and smooth as possible and design the external components to break away in the event of a crash. The Pro Shade fits in with this way of thinking and it works alright, but I have to admit that it isn't nearly as slick as the built-in system featured on the GT Air. I'll be replacing my current helmet in a few months and find myself torn between the GT Air and Arai's new Defiant design (which is claimed to be designed with riders of naked/standard bikes in mind who enjoy a more upright riding position).

I forgot to mention that I'm using the Pro Shade setup on my Arai. I understand and appreciate Arai's philosophy to keep the helmet shape itself as round and smooth as possible and design the external components to break away in the event of a crash. The Pro Shade fits in with this way of thinking and it works alright, but I have to admit that it isn't nearly as slick as the built-in system featured on the GT Air. I'll be replacing my current helmet in a few months and find myself torn between the GT Air and Arai's new Defiant design (which is claimed to be designed with riders of naked/standard bikes in mind who enjoy a more upright riding position).
Guth, I've heard a lot of pros and cons with the Pro Shade so we'll see how it goes. I wear contacts when I'm riding as glasses somehow seem to affect my depth perception, so for the past 10 years or so I've been wearing Arais with the clear shield and tinted sunglasses with the rubber gaskets to keep air off my eyes. This does, however, lead to face baking in the summer with the clear screen. Hopefully the Pro Shade will at least keep some sun off my face, which will be a nice change for me. I suppose I'll have to see if I need to switch to clear glasses to wear with the shade. As I've said, I'm kind of married to Arai, and it's about my only real choice in helmets.
 
Understood Scoobynut. I've been very happy with Arai which is why I find myself torn between the Shoei and another Arai. I'm guessing that overall you'll be happy with the Pro Shade system. It can serve as a visor when you don't want to pull it all the way down. However, I usually just flip it all the way up or down depending on the situation.
 
I bought the Shoei Neotech last month as a Xmas gift to me, it came with stainless latching system and the pinlock system, which I am liking with the colder weather. It's both DOT and ECE rated but not Snell since I haven't found a modular meets their requirements. The Neotech has, like my other helmets, a drop down sun shade, I like this one quite well, it doesn't contact my nose and it seems to fill the entire area rather than just the eyes. As far as Snell ratings, I cannot imagine that in real world conditions it is any better than the other ratings. Don't consider that a flame or complaint, just an opinion, one I hope never to personally test.
 
I have a Shoei open face and full face. I use the full face all the time and use the open face as a spare/passenger helmet.
 
I wear a HJC Modular mainly because of the convenience with wearing glasses, as well as being able to drink or talk without taking the helmet off. I also really like the built-in sunshield it has.
 
I keep reading about the convenience of modular and 3/4 helmets for eyeglass wearers and I just don't get it. I wear either sunglasses or clear glasses under my full face helmet (I have a clear visor) at all times...I take the glasses off, put the helmet on, put the glasses back on. what am I missing? I see the other benefits of the modulars and 3/4s, just not this particular one
 
I don't like having to remove my glasses, been there done that. I wear small wire frames and they aren't easy with a full face. If they were, I'd gotten a Bell Bullitt.
 
I'm with you, MTC. I wear glasses under my full face and simply take them off, put the helmet on and put my glasses on again. I have a Shark helmet which has been designed for those of us who wear spectacles and they are very easy to put on. The KBC full face I used to have was much less friendly to spectacle wearers. I tried a couple of modular helmets when I was looking last time and still had to remove my glasses to put them on.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I keep reading about the convenience of modular and 3/4 helmets for eyeglass wearers and I just don't get it. I wear either sunglasses or clear glasses under my full face helmet (I have a clear visor) at all times...I take the glasses off, put the helmet on, put the glasses back on. what am I missing? I see the other benefits of the modulars and 3/4s, just not this particular one

Its the taking the glasses off and on part. I have to do this when I wear a full face. Then you have to find a safe place to put them while you adjust and strap the helmet. I have had them slide off tank bags, tail bags, seats, and have kicked them off seats while getting on after forgetting to put them back on. A 3' drop to asphalt is not good for the lenses. If you wore glasses 100% of the time instead of just sunglasses or readers, you'd understand. They become part of your face and you forget they are there. I have ripped them off my face putting on or taking off tshirts and sweatshirts as well. Plus some glasses frame arms don't like being poked into the eye hole on certain full face helmets. It's a real hassle. I bought a pair of glasses with bendy arms specifically for this. My regular stiff frame armed glasses won't go in an eye port. Also some glasses arms curve around the back of the ears. Nearly impossible to get on with a full face helmet.

Once while wearing a full face I had taken them off put them on the seat, strapped on the helmet, got on the bike took off down the road and about a mile and a half later thought man, I'm not seeing too well today, reached up into the eye port and realized my glasses weren't there. Went back to the house and found them lying in the driveway where my bike was warming up. Either they slid off or I kicked them off. I was lucky they weren't broken. At $600 a pair I can't afford to replace them more than once a year or so.

If it wasn't an issue, so many guys wouldn't mention it as such.
 
I will concede the point that the flip-up face mask is more convenient for eyeglass wearers. However, and for the record, I've worn glasses since second grade. I switched to contacts several years ago, but I cannot see much at all without corrective lenses and never could, so I'm well aware of how glasses become part of one's face. Since I wear glasses anytime I ride, I am also aware that glasses become part of a full helmet's donning/doffing routine. For me, I find this routine no more or less of an issue than having to tighten my chinstrap before slipping on my gloves.
 
hmm I don't recall seeing you wearing glasses other than mine to read a menu at Bob Evans. I looked at all my pics and the only glasses you have on is sunglasses when you are riding or standing around. If you don't have the sunglasses on then you don't have any on.

I have worn glasses whenever I am awake for the last 26 years. First thing I put on after swinging my legs out of bed in the morning. Last thing I take off before crawling into bed at night. I have gone looking for my glasses before and found them on my face. They literally become part of your face after so many years. Pain in the rump, but I hate to think of the alternative of not being able to see. I can't do contacts.
 
Before getting my first modular I always wore a full face helmet and also wore wire frame glasses whenever awake. Riding to work one morning before sunrise I stopped to apply some anti-fog to my face shield. I placed my glasses on the tank bag and as I removed my helmet, my glasses fell to the ground. Could not see them in the dark so I got off the bike cautiously and, of course, stepped on the glasses, knocking out one of the lenses. Unable to replace the lens in the dark, I rode on to work with essentially one eye with clear vision. I got my first Nolan modular shortly afterwards and cannot imagine not having the convenience of a modular now even though I no longer need glasses.
 
I always take my helmet along when I shop for frames.
redbrids tale about dropping his glasses in the dark reminded me of a time in the 90s on the way to Road America on my gold wing. I had on a full face but with the wing I used to keep the shield open most times. Going along at 55-65 one of my lenses popped out, I pulled over very slowly and sure enough it had fallen right in my lap.
A little duct tape got me back on the road , I am sure I looked like a geek all day walking around RA with my duct tape glasses ;)
 
Glad I stumbled on this thread. I am in the beginning phases of deciding (yep it's going to take me a while) on a new lid. I have traditionally liked Shoei lids (Arai didn't fit my head shape, but I understand they offer a more oval shape for folks like me). A couple years ago, I needed to replace my aging Shoei RF1000 and didn't have a ton of money. I bought a Scorpion for $120 on clearance and it's been ok. It's just a bit noisy, but comfortable and I like the flip down sun shield. The Shoei GT Air looks like a good option.

I have always worn full face helmets. I might consider a modular. I bought a $39 Bilt 3/4 with flip up face shield for short rides around the neighborhood on the XL175. Also have a Bell MX helmet I probably should toss due to age and I never use it. I am also considering one of the ADV type helmets. The new version of the Shoei Hornet looks to be quiet and flows air around the visor without catching like a sail. It would look silly on the CB, so it makes more sense to invest in one helmet for my V Strom and CB.
 
Back
Top