Helmet noise

I tried the ribbed style of shooter ear plugs. They did cut some of the noise, and were easy to insert after stops for breakfast and lunch. But they were not comfortable to wear all day, and would not stay put all day. Really annoying when you have to stop every 15 minutes, remove your helmet, and push them back into sore ears. Sometimes they would pop back out just putting my ear scraping Shoei helmet back on.

Wearing ear buds and playing music louder than wind noise doesn't sound like a good idea either.

The wax swimmers style of ear plugs were comfortable, but you could not hear anything while riding or anyone while stopped.

I tried them all before finding my 3M Yellow Neons. These ear plugs met all my requirements for comfort and safety. A box of 200 pair is only $40. I paid that for 2 pair of shooters ear plugs. 20 cents a disposable set allows me to hand a wrapped pair to curious bikers to try when they ask me about them.
 
memphismike_imp said:
Thanks Memphismike, for the tip on earpeace.com . I had not heard of that brand before, and had been considering trying Nonoise earplugs I found on revzilla.com, Motorcycle Accessories - RevZilla . Interestingly, although Nonoise and Earpeace both use filter technology, Nonoise wants $30 for one set with ONE filter that has 6db less noise reduction than the max of the THREE filters included with the Earpeace brand. I was also pleased to see that free shipping is included with Earpeace, and a money back guarantee, whereas shipping is extra with Nonoise, and no money back guarantee. All of these differences make me more willing to try Earpeace.
 
Here's what I use. They are disposable and inexpensive. I carry about 6 pairs in my tank bag. They are rated to reduce lawnmower-level noise to conversation level. The contour fits my ears better than other foam earplugs I have tried. Combined with my full face helmet, I can still hear road noise from passing traffic, but it's pretty quiet. I can still hear car horns.

 
When I bought a new Arai helmet last year I thought that I leave the chin curtain in it till the summer but the nose reduction was so good that I leave it in the helmet the whole year round.
It is probably a little hotter with it in but the helmet has good ventilation and so no problem for me , I still wear foam 33 NR plugs as well.
 
Same here. I always remove the chin skirt but when I bought my Shark I left it on. Noticeable difference in noise....and temperature. Worth the trade-off.
 
Houtman, I noticed the same thing with the chin curtain on my latest helmet. Thought I'd remove it for the hot weather, but the noise difference was very noticeable. It went back in.

I'm also using Hearos Extreme 33NR disposable foam plugs. I buy them in bulk on Amazon.

I spent all afternoon at 80 mph on the slab today and all I could hear was the faint sound of the engine in the background.
 
I gotta be honest. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 70's and went to more than one Deep Purple concert and admittedly because of that kind of exposure and plenty of power tools over the years my hearing isn't the best. But I'm not bothered by helmet noise. As a matter of fact I like to crack open the visor of my Shoei RF1200 helmet sometimes so it's NOT so quiet. I guess I'm just different.
 
I'm with KE. Anything under 60mph just isn't noisy to me. I have an Arai QuantumX helmet at the moment, and it's been years since I've had anything but Arai, so maybe there is something to the helmet itself. I'm just not bothered by noise though. I'll admit that I also have attended more than one Deep Purple concert...but my hearing tests fine (I was a Yanny by the way, so evidently my high frequency sensitivity is good also...)

For those who are bothered by the noise, at what speed does it typically start to become a problem?
 
For noise, I think environment contributes as much as speed. Passing a tractor-trailer rig at 70 mph on a busy interstate is really noisy--18 wheels "sing" pretty loud. Plus all the other vehicles...

70 mph on a deserted two lane road is just some wind noise.
 
My open face Bell helmet is unbearable at highway speeds. There are ear pockets for speakers for a com system. I would have preferred if it came with removable earmuffs for those that want a com system. It also has a drop down sun visor under the clear face shield making the helmet bobble head wide. That makes it easy for wind to slip under the shield and back into the ear pockets. Fortunately my ear plugs make the ride quiet and comfortable.

My Shoei RF-1200 full face helmet is quieter and can be ridden at highway speeds. However it is much quieter with ears plugs. I can still hear the exhaust note when accelerating or decelerating. I can also hear people at food or gas stops before removing my helmet.

So yes Helmets make a difference, as do their chin curtains. But comfortable ear plugs take it one step further and the ride more pleasant.
 
I ruined part of my hearing at a 1989 Rolling Stones concert in Syracuse (Steel wheels ) since than have been to at least another 25 concerts from the Stones but no problems as I book a ticket a better position at the venue.
I ruined part of my hearing at a 1989 Rolling Stones concert in Syracuse (Steel wheels ) since than have been to at least another 25 concerts from the Stones but no problems as I book a ticket a better position at the venue.
I ruined part of my hearing at a 1989 Rolling Stones concert in Syracuse (Steel wheels ) since than have been to at least another 25 concerts from the Stones but no problems as I book a ticket a better position at the venue.
 
Nortoon, I also wear a Shoei RF-1200. With the vents open, there's a bit of wind noise. With earplugs, it's perfect at any speed.

Houtman, you ruined your hearing at the same Stones concert three times??!! :)
 
tommymck_imp said:
I'm with KE. Anything under 60mph just isn't noisy to me. I have an Arai QuantumX helmet at the moment, and it's been years since I've had anything but Arai, so maybe there is something to the helmet itself. I'm just not bothered by noise though. I'll admit that I also have attended more than one Deep Purple concert...but my hearing tests fine (I was a Yanny by the way, so evidently my high frequency sensitivity is good also...)

For those who are bothered by the noise, at what speed does it typically start to become a problem?
Roper_imp said:
For noise, I think environment contributes as much as speed. Passing a tractor-trailer rig at 70 mph on a busy interstate is really noisy--18 wheels "sing" pretty loud. Plus all the other vehicles...

70 mph on a deserted two lane road is just some wind noise.
It really doesn’t matter how good you think your helmet is. Riding produces wind noise that will damage your hearing. Although these guys clearly have a vested interest, this article is well worth a read, http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm
 
Roper_imp said:
Nortoon, I also wear a Shoei RF-1200. With the vents open, there's a bit of wind noise. With earplugs, it's perfect at any speed.

Houtman, you ruined your hearing at the same Stones concert three times??!! :)
I do not know why this was posted 3 times , I never did drugs but consumed large quantities of alcohol.
 
Thanks for the article, Cormanus. I'm a bit skeptical, though. The article has inconsistencies and inaccuracies.

- The article: "This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw." The common measurement reported for chainsaw is 120dB. Besides, I use a chainsaw almost every fall for firewood. Riding at highway speed is nowhere near as loud. For the record: 100dB is 8x as loud as 70dB (normal radio/TV audio.) 120dB is 32x as loud as 70dB. (doubles every 10 dB.)

- The article: "But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds ... these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds." Wait--wearing a helmet actually increases wind noise from 103dB (reported early in the article) to 110-116dB? I'm not buying it.

I think IPS's marketing department is playing fast and loose with the facts. Regardless, I still wear earplugs and a full lid when I ride. And I have over-the-ear barriers for the chainsaw ;)
 
I think you're right to be sceptical about that article, Roper. As I noted, the authors had a vested interest. Now I wonder if IPS was the author. I did a bit more searching on the internet and found the same article here, Hearing Health Blog | Hearing Loss Clinic. I wonder if it was a press release prepared by an audiologists' association?

Perhaps more helpful is an article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine reporting on a study into hearing loss in Grand Prix motorcyclists. (see http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/28/1/35.full.pdf) The following paragraph is relevant:

Quote:It has become increasingly apparent over the past 10-15 years that motorcyclists are exposed to noise levels far in excess of those that would be permitted in an industrial setting' (85 dB(A): Health and Safety at Work Act 19912). This noise arises, not from the machinery, for which adequate controls exist, but from turbulent air flow around the rider's helmet. This low frequency 'wind noise' reaches 90 dB(A) at about 40 m.p.h. and increases linearly with log-10 speed (m.p.h.) to reach levels of 110 dB(A) at 100m.p.h. At 150m.p.h., a not uncommon speed for a Grand Prix motorcyclist, noise levels of the order of 120 dB(A) would be expected.
This article cited noise levels of "about 90 dB(A) at 60 km/h and increasing linearly when plotted against the log of speed, to reach 110 dB(A) at 160 km/h".

While there may be problems with the IPS piece and the identical piece I referred to, there does seem to be agreement in more august journals that wind noise is a problem. I think I'm right in saying that hearing damage is cumulative, so Houtman's three times damage from one Stones' concert will be exacerbated by tearing up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I've already got a low level of tinnitus and I'll wear hearing protection in the hope that it won't get worse.
 
Thanks, Cormanus. No doubt that prolonged exposure to loud noise is cumulative and leads to hearing loss. It also means that at interstate speeds, hearing damage from wind will happen in 15 minutes or less. Another good reason to wear earplugs, and to stay off the interstate :) Thanks again for the articles, Cormanus. Earplugs should be part of every ATTGATT routine.
 
I started at the beginning of this thread and read everything with interest. Yes, I have experienced annoying wind noise ( without ear plugs ) with every modern helmet I have owned. Yes, I do wear ear plugs. Currently I use silicone solid plugs, issued when I worked in a factory years ago. They do give the closed off head feeling, but I can still hear situational awareness sounds around me, granted at much lower volume. I have tried the disposable squash and insert foam plugs, but just dont like them. I have a set of Earpeace plugs arriving today, that I hope will solve both the closed off head feeling and wind noise issues.

From here on are just my speculations about wind noise. It may be more an issue of failing memory ( LOL ), than failing hearing, but I just dont remember wind noise (or engine noise) being a factor back in the day. This made me wonder if, in the quest for better head protection, modern helmets had actually increased wind noise as an unintended by-product.

My first helmet was a plain white Bell 3/4 in 1967, my second, a green metal-flake Buco 3/4 in 1969. I still have the Buco, pictured below. Helmets back then fit much closer to the head, and remind me of the helmets modern down hill ski racers wear today. The Styrofoam shell lining was much thinner, as was the minimal cloth and open cell foam soft lining. There was also no helmet venting. Full face really did not gain popularity and/or availability until the mid 70s if I remember correctly (remember the failing memory part ), and of course modulars much much later.

By comparison, modern helmet outer shells are much bigger, Styrofoam shell liners thicker, and there are thicker soft lining materials. All this would seem to increase the space between the head and the outer shell, consequently creating a larger entrance for wind to enter, than older less protective helmets. The same gap principle could be demonstrated by the wind noise difference between a full face or modular helmet worn with, and without a chin curtain.

I am also reminded of something I learned as an audiophile years ago. Cloth and open cell foam rubber do have some sound muffling properties, but do retain a significant amount of acoustic transparency. Think cloth or open cell foam grills on stereo speakers. Would it be feasible to use closed cell foam for helmet soft linings, and if so, would it make a significant difference in noise reduction to the interior of the helmet?

I have included pictures for physical size comparison between my old 1969 Buco, and a modern Shoei RJ-Platinum-R, but I only wear modular now. I dont know if my speculations have any accuracy or not, but thought it might be interesting to consider. If the lining in my old Buco had not deteriorated so much with time, I would ride test it ( and my memory ) against the RJ-Platinum-R. Even if there is any accuracy to my speculations, protection outweighs noise reduction as far as I am concerned.
 
Back
Top