Heated Grips End Caps

GaryRudolph_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I was working on the heated grips install today and ran into an issue with the end caps. The instructions have you reuse the screw from the original end caps. But, they are black (the new end caps are chrome), and appear too long.

Anyone else install these themselves? If you had the dealer install it are the screws black on your end caps?

Doing the throttle sleeve is a real PITA...
 
Gary,
I had the same problem. Dealer installed. Crome bar ends, different shape and size than black stock ones. No new screws included. So ended up re-using stock screws, cut down about a half an inch. Bingo. No color match, but it worked.
 
If you can figure out the thread pitch shouldnt be to hard to order up a set in stainless. Not an identical match but closer than black. I order a lot of specialty bolts from http://www.boltdepot.com They have great service. They also have some bolt thread gauges that are cool. When I order from them I always get a few extra to give as gifts. Always good to know what size the thread is sometimes.
 
kenfyoozed_imp said:
If you can figure out the thread pitch shouldnt be to hard to order up a set in stainless. Not an identical match but closer than black. I order a lot of specialty bolts from http://www.boltdepot.com They have great service. They also have some bolt thread gauges that are cool. When I order from them I always get a few extra to give as gifts. Always good to know what size the thread is sometimes.
http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Flat_Socket_Head_Cap_Screw_6MM_Stainless_Steel_p/5500000.htm
thread size is 6mmx1.0 pitch. the stock screw length is 65mm long. above is an example you can probably get at your local ace hardware store.
Paul.
 
Thanks kenfyoozed for the boltdepot.com lead, tons of great info there.
And vfrpaul98 thx for the quick sizing. See if I can find something at ACE to fit.
 
Thread starter
I ended up taking a wire wheel to the stock screws to have them match better. Part of the reason they didn't screw all the way in was the old thread sealant in the end caps I had to take out. I was able to make the stock ones work eventually.
 
Is the grip rubber softer and is the grip design (the cut-outs in the rubber) different? The stock grips are so hard they hurt my hands after a while.
 
GaryRudolph_imp said:
They are about the same hardness/design as the stock.
Bleh. And they're unbelievably expensive. ~$350 for the two kits required. Gack. I may end up buying them anyway. :-D
 
Hello, where do you plug in the heated grips ? Is there an accessory outlet ? If so, what type of plug it connector is it ? Can you post a pic ?

I'm have my heated jacket installed directly to the battery and would like to install it to a switched outlet so I don't drain the battery if I forget to switch off the accessory

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
They have a module that connects inline. It's not something that is easily usable for a heated jacket. I think you're better finding a switched source and wiring in a relay.
 
IndianRider_imp said:
Hello, where do you plug in the heated grips ? Is there an accessory outlet ? If so, what type of plug it connector is it ? Can you post a pic ?

I'm have my heated jacket installed directly to the battery and would like to install it to a switched outlet so I don't drain the battery if I forget to switch off the accessory

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a complete wiring harness for the grips that connects to the bike's wiring; it's not something you could really hook anything else up to.

Don't you have to disconnect from the bike to get off of it? How could you forget that?
 
Back
Top