Ulvetanna_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
OK, that is truly good for a chuckle! You make such a great point about the suggestion to buy a bike with a full fairing. Those bikes are always more expensive and the kind of newer riders who haven't figured out earplugs are a must unless you want to go deaf are not buying bikes with fairings, they're getting the naked bikes, the retros, and so on.:beerchug:EmptySea_imp said:I'm big on ear protection. I'm not big on spending $800+ on a helmet. I think your helmet skirt recommendation should have been included in his list of strategies, but the helmet option was only one of several that he listed and, I suppose, if you didn't purchase an after-market and loud exhaust, you may might save enough money for the $800 helmet so maybe his recommendations are not so extravagant.
Use Protection. Store-bought foam earplugs can substantially lessen sound pressure in your ears. <-- pretty frugal solution
Find a Quiet Helmet. Schuberth promotes the C3 Pro as “one of the quietest helmets in the world,” while Sena’s Smart Helmet has built-in noise-canceling technology. <-- pretty expensive solution, unless there are other benefits than noise reduction to the particular helmets (fit, weight, etc.)
Consider the Wind. Among road bikes, nothing is quieter than a full-fairing tourer. <-- Not a bad solution, but involves a major decision on what kind of bike you want to ride.
Keep it Stock. Want to hurt your hearing? Swap out OE intake and exhaust systems for great-sounding free-flowing components. <-- Doesn't cost anything unless your bike is already loud.
Personally, I think the author could have done, or at least looked up, some research on the topic and given a few brand options, especially for the earplugs.
Here's a couple links that might be more helpful. They were for me.
Best Motorcycle Ear Plugs Reviewed - Read Before You Ride
Hearing Protection for Motorcyclists | Rider Magazine
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html
NoNoise Motorsport Hearing Protectors Review | Rider Magazine
Great post...you can keep your hearing AND your money if you do a little research and, of course, commit to actually protecting yourself
I need something will drop it over 30 dB. Foam does it, I use a new pair every ride, go through about 150 pairs a year.EarsOnWheels_imp said:Shoei Neotec + Etymotic earplugs
Seriously, check out these earplugs: Etymotic Research ER20XS High Definition Motorcycle Ear Plugs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010C8HZSY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oyMnybZ4Z3VCX
Don't waste money on packs of orange foam.
I like the 3M brand disposable, I get two packs of 80 pairs each year. I think it's about $20.Rocky_imp said:I buy boxes of 200 pairs of E.A.R foam earplugs and use them regularly.

I am reasonably sure that you’re trying to be funny here, rotor, but since you should have hearing protection anyway, your choice of exhaust is pretty much irrelevant; at least as far as most of the relatively quiet aftermarket exhausts that most CB1100 riders use is concerned.rotor_imp said:All the solutions mentioned above should be tried only after putting the stock muffler back on...![]()