Headlight is absolute junk!

FLYTYM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
It was just a nice night I decided to go for a ride and realized the headlight was pretty much useless on low beam,high beam for that matter. I spent a lot of time using the flash to pass button,couldn’t see anything to the sides of the road,curves that were easily 15 MPH curves you couldn’t tell until you were right on top of them. Had a few pucker moments coming in to fast,couldn’t see anything. But on a side note me and a friend rode about 100 miles mostly through canyons,12 at night in a T shirt and jeans. You could be filthy rich yet a bike ride late at night in a T shirt and jeans,don’t get no better than that. I know all the safety issue I ignored with my choice of dress my choice.
 
Many have found LED replacements.
 
I just replaced my headlight bulb with this LED bulb: AdvMonster.com is for sale | HugeDomains

I chose it because all of the "guts" of it are on the bulb side, and there are no hot parts inside the plastic headlight bucket to potentially melt wiring or the bucket itself. So far, very happy with the beam it puts out and the added visibility it provides in daylight for safety.
 
I replaced my stock bulb with a Sylvania Silver Star. 10 bucks at the local auto parts store. Big improvement.
 
I never ride my motorcycle at night, I just feel too vulnerable. Hard enough avoiding the distracted and impatient motorists in daylight when riding.

I believe the LED headlight on my CB1100 EX is set too high because some oncoming cars flash their high beams at me. As that makes me more visible, I have no intention of correcting it.

At my age even my car lights are not good enough on dark nights. By the time I am close enough to read the street name sign, it is too late to make the turn. Like my dad did, I use buildings and other large landmarks to alert me of upcoming turns.

But even though I have lived in Ottawa for 73 years, I still get fooled. Turned onto a busy 4 lane road I had not used for a number of years. Missed my next turn because the high school I used as a landmark was replaced with a large mall.

When Penny asks me what route I am going to take, I can't tell her. I have lived here so long I don't have a plan when I drive, I just get there by instinct.

On a trip to her cousins in Syracuse she called them on her cell phone to get directions. Although I had only been there once before, I pulled into their driveway before the she could finish her call. She asked me how I knew the route. I told here I drive by sense of smell. If looks could kill.
 
I ride quite a lot at night and you are correct about the low beam .. of the best. I find the high beam to be adequate, and quite honestly I keep the high beam on most of the time at night . As it is a bit underpowered I rarely get flashed by oncoming cars and it still provides good visibility .. for me anyway .
 
HondaJon_imp said:
My one complaint about the CB - A glass headlight lens would have been a nice touch.

+1
 
bought mine late evening and rode it home 45 miles with no issues at night. why would you ride fast at night? animals are everywhere.
 
I did the same as DBM. Picked up a Sylvania Silver Star bulb. What a difference it makes. Good for safety as well being seen during daylight hours of riding.
 
cooldrum_imp said:
I did the same as DBM. Picked up a Sylvania Silver Star bulb. What a difference it makes. Good for safety as well being seen during daylight hours of riding.
I assume the Silver Star simply plugs in just like the factory bulb.
I also assume there are no heat issues.
 
I use Silver Stars in my cars. No more heat than a regular bulb.

Regarding a glass lens vs. plastic, I replaced my Bonneville's plastic headlight with a Hella H4 glass lens/housing from ebay. Just a little bit of work to dismantle the headlight assembly and remove the plastic and replace with glass. I imagine the same could be done on the CB without too much difficulty. Looks like some retaining tabs on the metal ring around the lens would need to be bent and bent back.
 
Rocky_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
I did the same as DBM. Picked up a Sylvania Silver Star bulb. What a difference it makes. Good for safety as well being seen during daylight hours of riding.
I assume the Silver Star simply plugs in just like the factory bulb.
I also assume there are no heat issues.
I assume the Silver Star simply plugs in just like the factory bulb.
I also assume there are no heat issues.
Yes. Simple plug and play
 
Yep, plug and play. Just came back from two hours of riding and no heat issues. A very bright light according to my wife. Better than the stock bulb.
 
Back
Top