Head light died

Ennsync_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello Cb 1100 frined s,
I was lucky last night whern I pulled the Cb1100 to ride , every thing fine , until the head light died on me (both the hi and low beams), bike was at idling before even moving .prior to that like twice it started blinking on me and then completely dark. every thing else including the gage and rear running lights are ok , the only strange thing is that hi and low beam not working both and Also the blue light at gage i also on for both hi and low beam . what could it be ? I am thinking fuse , is there a fuse box for CB1100 and where, I am going to try to find the OEM light that I replaced with
the expensive direct plug and go replacement one from ADVmonster .but before doing that do you think it might be something more than light or fuse ?
Thank you
Ride safe /Ride long:)
 
I had the same problem but easily could have died !
Last year I replaced the H4 headlight on my CB 1100 2013 and 2014 with a LED light from ADVMONSTER , after only a few weeks having the LED light I came into a tunnel on the BRP and suddenly It was all dark on both beams and I nearly died from fright !
Slowly I rode out of the tunnel and realized that the fuse had burned. When at home at put a new fuse in and a H4 bulb and all was ok . I also took the LED out of my 2014 and contacted the company , they send me replacements which I put in my wife's CRV

DO NOT USE THEIR LED 'S THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED AT NIGHT OR IN A TUNNEL !!!
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I had the same problem but easily could have died !
Last year I replaced the H4 headlight on my CB 1100 2013 and 2014 with a LED light from ADVMONSTER , after only a few weeks having the LED light I came into a tunnel on the BRP and suddenly It was all dark on both beams and I nearly died from fright !
Slowly I rode out of the tunnel and realized that the fuse had burned. When at home at put a new fuse in and a H4 bulb and all was ok . I also took the LED out of my 2014 and contacted the company , they send me replacements which I put in my wife's CRV

DO NOT USE THEIR LED 'S THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED AT NIGHT OR IN A TUNNEL !!!
Thank you for your prompt response , I am sorry for your horrifying experience . I am going to replace it with a OEM now after your experience , I don't know how ever where the fuse box is. could you please show me where to look for it?
Thank you
Ride safe /Ride long:biker:
 
It’s under the seat, above the battery toward the rear next to the rear brake reservoir. Remove the tool box if needed.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
It’s under the seat, above the battery toward the rear next to the rear brake reservoir. Remove the tool box if needed.
Thank you so much .:thanks:
Ride safe/Ride long :biker:
 
Pterodactyl has had some problems with his low beam as a result of a dirty connection in the starter switch in the throttle grip. I think it's because there's a circuit that switches the head light off as the bike cranks. He's had dirt in there which has resulted in the light not coming on again after the bike has started. I can't remember now whether it affects the high beam.
 
If the fuse was bad, the blue high beam indicator wouldn't come on at all. The high beam indicator now comes on whether on high or low beam because both circuits are connected inside the bulb on the ground side. So you'll get power to the high beam indicator all the time, but no high or low beam because the bulb itself is not grounded.

I'd look for a bad ground wire connection (green) outside the headlight. Don't blame the bike if you've been adding accessories or prowling around inside the headlight case. :idea:
 
In my case it was the LED light itself , I told the Company that those lights are a law suit waiting to happen. They were not even cheap .
 
pekingduck_imp said:
If the fuse was bad, the blue high beam indicator wouldn't come on at all. The high beam indicator now comes on whether on high or low beam because both circuits are connected inside the bulb on the ground side. So you'll get power to the high beam indicator all the time, but no high or low beam because the bulb itself is not grounded.

I'd look for a bad ground wire connection (green) outside the headlight. Don't blame the bike if you've been adding accessories or prowling around inside the headlight case. :idea:
Sorry, meant to say to look for a bad ground wire connection (green) outside the headlight bulb.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl has had some problems with his low beam as a result of a dirty connection in the starter switch in the throttle grip. I think it's because there's a circuit that switches the head light off as the bike cranks. He's had dirt in there which has resulted in the light not coming on again after the bike has started. I can't remember now whether it affects the high beam.
Thank you will look to clean area
Ride safe/Ride long
peterbaron_imp said:
Crappy parts = problem
OEM, very unlikely. 0.02
leson learned.
Ride safe /Ride long
pekingduck_imp said:
If the fuse was bad, the blue high beam indicator wouldn't come on at all. The high beam indicator now comes on whether on high or low beam because both circuits are connected inside the bulb on the ground side. So you'll get power to the high beam indicator all the time, but no high or low beam because the bulb itself is not grounded.

I'd look for a bad ground wire connection (green) outside the headlight. Don't blame the bike if you've been adding accessories or prowling around inside the headlight case. :idea:
is the grean wire inside the head lightbowl and accesable if the screws opened?
Thank you
Ride safe/Ride long
 
pekingduck_imp said:
If the fuse was bad, the blue high beam indicator wouldn't come on at all. The high beam indicator now comes on whether on high or low beam because both circuits are connected inside the bulb on the ground side. So you'll get power to the high beam indicator all the time, but no high or low beam because the bulb itself is not grounded.

I'd look for a bad ground wire connection (green) outside the headlight. Don't blame the bike if you've been adding accessories or prowling around inside the headlight case. :idea:
is the grean wire inside the head lightbowl and accesable if the screws opened?
Thank you
Ride safe/Ride long
[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are many green wires within the headlight. Look at the bulb socket and trace from there.
 
Pekingduck is spot on with his assessment as usual, however a little background may be helpful here.
The led unit has a " controller " which is a small plastic hermetically sealed box about 40 mm long in between the led unit and the original 3 pole halogen connector.

In my case i mounted the unit outside the headlight fixture for cooling purposes, mine still works so far but i fear Ennsinc's controller has followed the demise of Houtman's unit, i very seldom ride in the dark but am aware of the unpleasant surprise when chinese electronics revert to being a bit of sand ( silicon ) again and close the recycling loop despite their best efforts.:-/
 
Play it safe and go back to an H4 light bulb, with the head light shell of the 2013 and 2014 build for the H 4 bulb and NOT a LED light the light distribution was not all that great with the LED. I know that there are many different H 4 replacement LED's but I do not want to waste more money trying to find the right one for the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Pekingduck is spot on with his assessment as usual, however a little background may be helpful here.
The led unit has a " controller " which is a small plastic hermetically sealed box about 40 mm long in between the led unit and the original 3 pole halogen connector.

In my case i mounted the unit outside the headlight fixture for cooling purposes, mine still works so far but i fear Ennsinc's controller has followed the demise of Houtman's unit, i very seldom ride in the dark but am aware of the unpleasant surprise when chinese electronics revert to being a bit of sand ( silicon ) again and close the recycling loop despite their best efforts.:-/
Thank you for comprehensive explanation
Ride Safe/Ride Long
Houtman_imp said:
Play it safe and go back to an H4 light bulb, with the head light shell of the 2013 and 2014 build for the H 4 bulb and NOT a LED light the light distribution was not all that great with the LED. I know that there are many different H 4 replacement LED's but I do not want to waste more money trying to find the right one for the CB1100.
I will Go back to OEM.
I took a motorcycle riding course this weekend and the officers were all from 3 different police departments and from 8 to 25 years on motorcycle and on road , their advise was more lights save life and not louder pipes. between Darla from Clearwater and Chinese knock off from ALiexpress( name is Gold Runway) i am still undecided . Clear water is based in northern California and all the BMW dealers recommned them and good quality and service , ALi Express products come from China ,but the price is like triple with CW.
Ride safe/Ride Long :biker::thanks:
 
I checked out both Clearwater and Gold Runway sites, and Clearwater is not cheap, but American made, and can back it up with good customer service. It's hard to compare products between the two, but I think Clearwater is way more than 3 x price - maybe 5x-10x more.

Customer service through Alibaba can be really frustrating and useless, so figure you bought a used part at a below-used part price. However, Gold Runway also sells on eBay, at a higher price, but there is some chance of customer service.

I've heard of drunk drivers crashing head-on into Police cars with all lights flashing due to target fixation. I wonder if brighter lights can cause some accidents due to target-fixation while preventing others that are inattentive.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for responses , So I will change the fuse , change the bulb with OEM clean the starter switch place with contact cleaner spary , while changing the bulb look for green wires.I should be safe .will probably order a good pair of fog/spot.
Ride safe/Ride long
pekingduck_imp said:
I checked out both Clearwater and Gold Runway sites, and Clearwater is not cheap, but American made, and can back it up with good customer service. It's hard to compare products between the two, but I think Clearwater is way more than 3 x price - maybe 5x-10x more.

Customer service through Alibaba can be really frustrating and useless, so figure you bought a used part at a below-used part price. However, Gold Runway also sells on eBay, at a higher price, but there is some chance of customer service.

I've heard of drunk drivers crashing head-on into Police cars with all lights flashing due to target fixation. I wonder if brighter lights can cause some accidents due to target-fixation while preventing others that are inattentive.
Yes I will see if ebay has the same choice of Gold RW ,but last week checking on ebay the offers are more limited , price on ebay for same package is not more than 6-9 $ difference , but so far my experince with ebay was not bad. I hope no motorcycle will face a drunk driver situation:biker::thumbsup:
Rjde safe/Ride long
 
Back
Top