Have you installed a headlight modulator (and with or w/o solid state relay)?

Thread starter
silascopathic_imp said:
interesting. never heard of this before.
Yes, my friends with the modulator feel bare without them. Only question is whether our bike needs the relay or not.
 
Dumb question..how does your bike know whether it is day or night?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Dumb question..how does your bike know whether it is day or night?
No dumb questions at all.

The modulator has a light sensitive sensor connected to a long thin cord that you place somewhere that is exposed to open light. If there is enough ambient light, the modulator stays on. If the ambient light goes down, then the modulator turns off. The review I linked to has a picture of one such setup. It's Photo 5 (the photo isn't named, but you'll know it's the right one when you see a white arrow pointing to the sensor). Hope this helps.
 
I have seen this on many bikes and have been thinking about it but I find myself hitting that flash to pass switch when I think I am heading into somewhere that the cagers are not paying attention

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.3
 
Not a huge fan of these things, and you shouldn't let them give you a false sense of security.
That is, your level of riding caution should be the same whether you have a modulator or not.

Plus, I've heard of too many instances where drivers mistake this modulation for the rider "flashing" them to go ahead or pull out.
Just my opinion, but I think they're more annoying to other drivers than anything you'll gain in safety (which is minimal, if anything).
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
Not a huge fan of these things, and you shouldn't let them give you a false sense of security.
That is, your level of riding caution should be the same whether you have a modulator or not.

Plus, I've heard of too many instances where drivers mistake this modulation for the rider "flashing" them to go ahead or pull out.
Just my opinion, but I think they're more annoying to other drivers than anything you'll gain in safety (which is minimal, if anything).

Thanks for your opinion, Jim. You raise legitimate points. With that in mind, I hope forum members can respect those who choose to get a modulator, and vice-versa. And I look forward to hearing an answer to the technical question that was posted - whether the CB1100 has a built-in headlight relay that eliminates the need to get an aftermarket one. Thanks in advance, fellow riders.
 
rjk555_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
Not a huge fan of these things, and you shouldn't let them give you a false sense of security.
That is, your level of riding caution should be the same whether you have a modulator or not.

Plus, I've heard of too many instances where drivers mistake this modulation for the rider "flashing" them to go ahead or pull out.
Just my opinion, but I think they're more annoying to other drivers than anything you'll gain in safety (which is minimal, if anything).

Thanks for your opinion, Jim. You raise legitimate points. With that in mind, I hope forum members can respect those who choose to get a modulator, and vice-versa. And I look forward to hearing an answer to the technical question that was posted - whether the CB1100 has a built-in headlight relay that eliminates the need to get an aftermarket one. Thanks in advance, fellow riders.
I don't think that will be much of an issue as we seem to have a really good bunch of guys here.

:D :biker:
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Not a huge fan of these things, and you shouldn't let them give you a false sense of security.
That is, your level of riding caution should be the same whether you have a modulator or not.

Plus, I've heard of too many instances where drivers mistake this modulation for the rider "flashing" them to go ahead or pull out.
Just my opinion, but I think they're more annoying to other drivers than anything you'll gain in safety (which is minimal, if anything).
Agreed. I think learning to "waggle" in the lane a bit when someone is waiting to pull out to increase the chance of being seen is safer than the flashing which so many drivers use to communicate so many different things ("go ahead", "cop ahead", "turn your lights on, dumb@ss") stuff like that.
 
I've Been doing the weave/waggle thing ever since I read a british report on it last year.
 
Thread starter
ThomWill_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
Not a huge fan of these things, and you shouldn't let them give you a false sense of security.
That is, your level of riding caution should be the same whether you have a modulator or not.

Plus, I've heard of too many instances where drivers mistake this modulation for the rider "flashing" them to go ahead or pull out.
Just my opinion, but I think they're more annoying to other drivers than anything you'll gain in safety (which is minimal, if anything).
Agreed. I think learning to "waggle" in the lane a bit when someone is waiting to pull out to increase the chance of being seen is safer than the flashing which so many drivers use to communicate so many different things ("go ahead", "cop ahead", "turn your lights on, dumb@ss") stuff like that.
Agreed. I think learning to "waggle" in the lane a bit when someone is waiting to pull out to increase the chance of being seen is safer than the flashing which so many drivers use to communicate so many different things ("go ahead", "cop ahead", "turn your lights on, dumb@ss") stuff like that.
For those of you new to modulators, here are some useful links:

A link to a gear review and comparison video showing the same motorcycle with the modulator on, then off. The headlight modulator segment starts at 53 seconds into the video. Forum members (including me) have only shared written anecdotes, and so it may be hard for other members to actually visualize how modulators work. This comparison video showing the modulator in action may help our members make an informed decision about its safety benefits, or lack thereof.

[url=http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342381]A 23-page headlight modulator thread on ADVRider, with both sides passionately arguing their case. Shows the issue is up there in terms of debate with "what octane is best for your bike." Perhaps "headlight modulator" will someday reach The Ferret's [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/58311/]"7 forbidden word list." :s Although I believe in modulator use, it is up to each person to make his/her own decision, and whether it fits their personal riding style. Some people may choose to "waggle," thinking the modulator is annoying. Others may think that manually waggling long-term is exhausting and use the modulator to increase visibility and safety.

[url=http://www.gadgetjq.com/headflash_dot_regs.htm]Legal reference showing use of motorcycle modulators is legal within the United States. The nation's legal system allows modulator use. People may disagree with this law, as is their right. But modulators CAN be used legally. The question of whether modulator use is legal is asked a lot in headlight modulator forums, so I'm addressing it up front.

I hope this info proves useful. Let's all ride safe and enjoyably.
 
The situation that really gets me nervous is approaching an intersection with a car on the opposite side waiting to turn left (in front of me) and I've got no cars around me.

In the past, I'd move around in my lane hoping to make myself more noticeable. Since getting the CB11, I've been taking advantage of the little high beam trigger on the left pod. Three or four flashes while I'm still a hundred yds. or so from the intersection seems to do the trick.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The situation that really gets me nervous is approaching an intersection with a car on the opposite side waiting to turn left (in front of me) and I've got no cars around me.

In the past, I'd move around in my lane hoping to make myself more noticeable. Since getting the CB11, I've been taking advantage of the little high beam trigger on the left pod. Three or four flashes while I'm still a hundred yds. or so from the intersection seems to do the trick.
Same here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
 
Those left turn cagers scare me more than anything else and as others have posted I'm afraid to flash the headlight and send the wrong message and they pull out, I just been slowing down and cover the brakes, look for an escape route and watch the cager carefully. I have considered the modulator, but I'm staying what I'm doing at this point.:biker:
 
Gingersdaddy try weaving a bit in your lane as you approach, a study in Britain noted the movement made you much more conspicuous to oncoming drivers when doing so.
 
Rjk555....poor guy, never got his original post answered (he was asking a question, not for our opinion on modulators).

And sadly, I was the first to do it to him :(
Can anyone help him out??
 
I've not read of anyone on this forum installing one, unless they've done it and not mentioned doing it which seems unlikely.
 
Back
Top