Hauled bike out of storage wont start.

Oboro_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Seems like the bike isnt getting fuel. Its getting spark, plugs look good, the starter is going, the fuel pump primes when I turn the key, intake looks good, all the fuses tested fine and the pump and ignition relays, full charge on the battery, I am hoping I missed something stupid. All I can think of now are the injectors or ECU. I washed the bike, stored it along with my other bike and here we. Never had any issues with the bike before.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 
Maybe stupid to ask, but IS there fuel in the tank? Did you have the tank off for any reason and maybe didn't hook the line up?

After work I'll look at the wiring diagram and the ignition circuit (they have a separate drawing for that). Until then, maybe someone else can help.

I can't remember off the top of my head how everything interplays, but make sure the sure the clutch switch is plugged in good (the spade lugs can get loose/corroded) and the sidestand switch is ok (plugged in or check with a meter). You know the kill switch is good or the pump won't come on.
 
Thread starter
I wish it was that simple. Now one thing I forgot to mention if you try to start it with the throttle open you can hear the faintest change in sound. Like a very small rumble. Very small. Nothing that suggests it's about to start though.
 
Thread starter
Tank is totally full. Filled and put in stabilizer just before storage. All lines where hooked up. I just took the tank off yesterday to look around.
I had the battery on a tender. But would this be some reset issue in the ECU?
 
So the bike is cranking over, just not starting. That rules out any possibility of a bad switch, etc.

This sounds like a rodent issue.....they love to chew on wires.
 
Oboro_imp said:
Tank is totally full. Filled and put in stabilizer just before storage. All lines where hooked up. I just took the tank off yesterday to look around.
I had the battery on a tender. But would this be some reset issue in the ECU?
Could be. I think there is some special procedure to follow, if you removed the battery for some time, as the ECU lost some adjustments in its memory, e.g. the throttle poti positions.

I don't have a service manual any more, I sold it with my CB. May be, someone of the service manual owners could look it up.

May be, you try this:

1. switch on ignition, wait for fuel pump finishes,
2. open throttle slowly to max and close it again, 2 times,
3. start engine
 
I had a similar problem with a fuel injected Ford truck. I called the service dept at my local dealer to have the truck towed. Service tech told me to hold the throttle fully open and start the truck. That worked but I had to have the throttle position sensor replaced.
 
Full throttle while cranking on almost all FI engines cuts the injectors -- it's done to allow people to crank an engine with the gas off to clear a flooded engine.

Will it run on starting fluid? I know it's crappy to do this on a modern (or even nice) bike, but it is diagnostic.
 
Put your kickstand up and down a few times and work your clutch in and out several times. Bikes actually do better when they are ridden daily.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I have tried already kickstand up and down, clutch level in out, etc... tried to get it started for 2 days now. May have to run it to the dealer at this point.
 
Disconnect the negative side of the battery. Leave it off for a few minutes. Reconnect and see if she'll fire (don't touch the throttle). If no go; as mentioned previously, shoot some starting fluid into the air filter chamber (works better if you remove the filter).

Good luck!
 
Oboro, Well, after looking at the simplified wiring schematic in the ignition section of the manual, I was going to suggest that you try starting with the clutch lever pulled. If it had started, that would point to the neutral switch or the blocking diode.

Anyway, can you read a wiring diagram? If so I can email you the ignition system diagram (not the entire bike diagram). If you have any electrical or electronics knowledge, you will easily see how it works. Hopefully it is not the ECM, but if under warranty, no cost to you. The manual says most problems are connector problems.

Anyway, if you want the diagram, PM me your email address.
 
From everything he is saying it sounds like he's not getting fuel. This points to something with the ECU to me unless there is a blown fuse that he missed.
 
And Randy, either of those is a possibility. Would be nice if he did the spark test. That would help narrow it down to a system.
 
Thread starter
Lever in with the bike in gear or in neutral didnt work. I'm going to unplug the battery and see if that resets the ecu and gets things going. Hard to imagine the ecu crapping the bed suddenly but things happen I suppose.
I would love see that diagram though.

randallvienneau@gmail.com

Thanks
 
Back
Top