Hanging up the helmet

Rocky_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi everyone:
As the header says, I'm hanging up the helmet. This has been coming on for over a year and I knew it was time to quit as my interest in riding began to ebb.
I just sold the CB and the other bikes are on the chopping block too.
It's been a wonderful 30+ years back in the saddle and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
But I'm 86, and still in good health, but there is no denying I'm not as physically strong as I was - which is just natural aging. The weight of the CB was becoming harder to handle than it was ten years ago.
This has been a fantastic forum and I received so much help and information over the years.
I can't thank Guth, the Ferret and Cormanus enough for running such a great place to visit. I also thank all the members for their comradery and good humor.
I'll be leaving the forum but may drop in once in a while.
Be safe everyone, over and out.
 
Nice having you around Rocky. Best wishes with whatever hobby you replace it with next!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Oh Rocky - it was a pleasure reading your shared posts over the years. Ending this chapter in your journey must not be easy.

Perhaps from here on it is "can touch", but "don't ride". :)

Cheers Rocky!
GO
 
What GO said, Rocky. You’ve been (and will continue to be) an inspiration to keep riding on those occasional dark days.

Very best wishes for whatever comes next.

Please don’t be a stranger to the forum.
 
Glad you are able to do this on your own terms. Like Cormanus said, you have been an inspiration to those of us wondering how much longer we will be able to ride.

Wishing you the best, in whatever life brings you going forward.

Thanks Rocky!
 
I'd be thrilled if I could ride till I'm 86! Thanks for providing us "youngins" with inspiration for riding a number of years yet.
 
Rocky, echoing Pdedse, riding to 86 is a great inspiration and I hope to be as lucky. Hope you'll stick around with your friends here!
Us youngins do need some advice now and then...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Rocky, echoing Pdedse, riding to 86 is a great inspiration and I hope to be as lucky. Hope you'll stick around with your friends here!
Us youngins do need some advice now and then...
(+1) !

... "Rocky, you met your match"
And Rocky said, "Doc, it's only a scratch"
And I'll be better, I'll be better, Doc, as soon as I am able ...
 
You had a good run Rocky! I hope I do.

Now maybe you can consider, like some guys here, a sports car! Or a Trike. Or a Can-Am.

Or, maybe not :D
 
What about a Grom? Or one of the other modest-sized 125 stable?
 
If I thought I could still be riding at 86 I'd be a happy man. Actually I wouldn't mind just living to that age! Congratulations Rocky!
 
Tev62_imp said:
If I thought I could still be riding at 86 I'd be a happy man. Actually I wouldn't mind just living to that age! Congratulations Rocky!
Aye.

Lest, we be careful what we ask for.

I know many men and women permanently walking around with urine catheter bags - even after "successful" operations to eliminate them.

... but yeah.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
If I thought I could still be riding at 86 I'd be a happy man. Actually I wouldn't mind just living to that age! Congratulations Rocky!
Aye.

Lest, we be careful what we ask for.

I know many men and women permanently walking around with urine catheter bags - even after "successful" operations to eliminate them.

... but yeah.
Aye.

Lest, we be careful what we ask for.

I know many men and women permanently walking around with urine catheter bags - even after "successful" operations to eliminate them.

... but yeah.
I'll be more than happy if I make it to 86 and am active enough to be considering whether or not I can still ride. As Mrs. G's medical specialty is elder care, she's been the one needling me a bit for my recent efforts to get healthy and lose weight. "I'm taking care of people who didn't take care of themselves when they were your age."

I do like the Monkey idea. Heck, I'd take one now, let alone at 86. But might that be an option for ya?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
If I thought I could still be riding at 86 I'd be a happy man. Actually I wouldn't mind just living to that age! Congratulations Rocky!
Aye.

Lest, we be careful what we ask for.

I know many men and women permanently walking around with urine catheter bags - even after "successful" operations to eliminate them.

... but yeah.
Aye.

Lest, we be careful what we ask for.

I know many men and women permanently walking around with urine catheter bags - even after "successful" operations to eliminate them.

... but yeah.
That won't be me GoldOxide. I have lived with a hole in my heart that you could stick your thumb through from birth and it was only closed in the last couple of years (I'm 62 in May). Consequently the right side of my heart is 50% enlarged which doesn't bode well for a long old life. I don't mind though and don't let it worry me. I'm just thankful that the three TIA's I had (which led to highlighting the fact that I had a hole) were not full strokes incapacitating me in a drastic way. I see that as an upside and what will be will be.

An interesting point - The heart surgeon told me about 20% of people are born with holes in their heart, it is very common, most just grow over in our teenage years and never need any attention.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Glad you are able to do this on your own terms. Like Cormanus said, you have been an inspiration to those of us wondering how much longer we will be able to ride.

Wishing you the best, in whatever life brings you going forward.

Thanks Rocky!
Rocky, ^^+1^^ to what the ferret said. You are one of the reasons I’m still riding at 73. Thank you.
 
Back
Top