Handle Grip Options

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm wondering if there are some fatter grips that I could put on my 2014 CB1100 A.

My Shadow 750 has thicker grips that are more comfortable for my extra large hands, but no weights on the bar ends.

I believe the handlebar is 7/8 on both bikes, but I'm not sure.

With winter coming up soon, maybe I should look into heated grips?

The cramp buster helps a little, but I think my hands are just a little large to comfortably grab the stock 7/8 rubber grips. And suggestions appreciated.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I'm wondering if there are some fatter grips that I could put on my 2014 CB1100 A.

My Shadow 750 has thicker grips that are more comfortable for my extra large hands, but no weights on the bar ends.

I believe the handlebar is 7/8 on both bikes, but I'm not sure.

With winter coming up soon, maybe I should look into heated grips?

The cramp buster helps a little, but I think my hands are just a little large to comfortably grab the stock 7/8 rubber grips. And suggestions appreciated.
Only Harleys don't actually taper to 7/8 at the bar ends, so having that in mind, your shadow might have had some fatter grips. I have ridden a shadow years ago, but I don't remember off the top of my head what it felt like and whether they were indeed larger. What you can do for yourself apart from heated grips, but even with them, is too do a quick Google search for either "grip buddies" or "grip puppies" and find a dealer near you, they are sleeves that go over your stock grips and not only do they provide a wider grab, but will also reduce some vibration. Good for a buzzy handlebar.

Good luck!

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Rboe_imp said:
I have Biltwell Renegade on my 650L and '13 CB (they look like this Biltwell Renegade 1" TPV Grips - RevZilla).

Really like 'em.

Got Grip Puppies on the '14. Like them too - but not as well as the Biltwells.
Note; that link is for the 1" version. They make a 7/8" version too.
Plus 1 for the Grip Puppies, $20, cut to size if necessary and they soften things up a tad and provide a lot more grip to grab. I just did this for my w800 (thanks to a member's suggestions) and it makes a big difference. If you didn't like 'em, easy to remove and you still have the original grip on your bike.
 
(+1) for the Grip Puppies on the 2014 CB1100A. They are firm and durable baking in the sunshine and soaking in the rain day in and day out. They took any residual buzzy vibe out of the handlebar at certain engine speeds.

Those same Puppies now reside on my current ride (I just moved them).
 
+1 for the grip puppies too, excellent low cost solution. I bought them to open up my hand grip originally but the extra little vibration damping is also welcome.
 
So I bought a pair when I bought my CB in the spring. I went to move the bike in the garage and in a short 6 months, they have stretched out and are now loose on the grips underneath to the point where I can just slide them off and back on again.

The packaging looked authentic but they did come from Amazon who is apparently not an authorized dealer and as such they won’t honor the warranty. Has anyone else had this happen to their Grip Puppies?
 
Whoops_imp said:
So I bought a pair when I bought my CB in the spring. I went to move the bike in the garage and in a short 6 months, they have stretched out and are now loose on the grips underneath to the point where I can just slide them off and back on again.

The packaging looked authentic but they did come from Amazon who is apparently not an authorized dealer and as such they won’t honor the warranty. Has anyone else had this happen to their Grip Puppies?
Not me. They are firm and non-rotating on my bikes, even after multiple transplants.

I did have knock-offs that weren't Grip Puppies, and they simply zucked (loose).

I suppose it would not be difficult to clone the Grip Puppies packaging. It isn't very sophisticated.
 
Thread starter
Thank you to everyone who replied! I ordered some Grip Puppies. The low cost, ease of install, and preservation of the stock grips make it a no-brainer. I may continue to look for replacement grips, but this seemed to be worth a try!
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Thank you to everyone who replied! I ordered some Grip Puppies. The low cost, ease of install, and preservation of the stock grips make it a no-brainer. I may continue to look for replacement grips, but this seemed to be worth a try!
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
 
Just an FYI....I added Grip Puppies to my C14 as soon as I got it this summer. It has heated grips and I wasn't sure how the GP's would work with heated grips but I figured I could always take them off if problematic. At any rate I was riding this weekend in cool weather for the first time so I turned on those heated grips. It was not an issue, I felt the heat just fine through the Grip Puppies.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Thank you to everyone who replied! I ordered some Grip Puppies. The low cost, ease of install, and preservation of the stock grips make it a no-brainer. I may continue to look for replacement grips, but this seemed to be worth a try!
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
FYI only: I just used Windex.
 
I always wrap the grips of every bike I've owned with foam bicycle handlebar tape. Provides some cushion and extra girth. Stretch it out a little as you wrap it.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Thank you to everyone who replied! I ordered some Grip Puppies. The low cost, ease of install, and preservation of the stock grips make it a no-brainer. I may continue to look for replacement grips, but this seemed to be worth a try!
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
FYI only: I just used Windex.

Correct- no residue after the alcohol evaporates. Soap is not ideal.


I had grip puppies- but one of them ripped so I removed them- and just learned to use a loose grip on the bars.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Thank you to everyone who replied! I ordered some Grip Puppies. The low cost, ease of install, and preservation of the stock grips make it a no-brainer. I may continue to look for replacement grips, but this seemed to be worth a try!
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
You can find some youtube video install techniques that over-complicate things in my view, but dishwashing soap inside the puppies, water on the grip and for me they slid on with moderate effort. Let that dry overnight and then they are good.
FYI only: I just used Windex.

Correct- no residue after the alcohol evaporates. Soap is not ideal.


I had grip puppies- but one of them ripped so I removed them- and just learned to use a loose grip on the bars.
It's one of those counterintuitive things about motorcycling that needs to be taught and reinforced

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
I realize dirt bikes all use thinner grips, so maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

I have pretty large hands, size 3x or 4x, but I didn't mind a thinner grip when I was younger. I just feel more comfortable with a thicker grip today.

With the stock grips on the CB1100, my fingers cramp up unless I use the Cramp Buster.

I don't have any cramping problem on my Shadow with the higher bar and thicker grips.

My Grip Puppies arrived in the mail today, so hopefully I can install them tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip about using Windex instead of soap!
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I realize dirt bikes all use thinner grips, so maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

I have pretty large hands, size 3x or 4x, but I didn't mind a thinner grip when I was younger. I just feel more comfortable with a thicker grip today.

With the stock grips on the CB1100, my fingers cramp up unless I use the Cramp Buster.

I don't have any cramping problem on my Shadow with the higher bar and thicker grips.

My Grip Puppies arrived in the mail today, so hopefully I can install them tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip about using Windex instead of soap!
Hey, ya ... hopefully it is a non-eventful to install (should be), and [literally] an improvement over the stock grips. If not, they can be easily removed without destroying them. I used Windex again to help remove them.
 
pdedse_imp said:
What's the problem with soap? It works fine, windex too.

Windex evaporates. Soap simply dries.

Heck- I washed my bike last week- and just from that my left heated grip went completely loose and rotating with no effort.

And I didn't use soap to install it- it was just what ran in from washing.

Once it sat a couple days it is pretty much solid now- but I am going to order some grip glue and add a couple drops anyway.
 
Back
Top