Had to drop the bike today

They do. But I wonder how many of us would have not only the skill but the presence of mind to put it down rather than ride into something?
 
First, I'm glad the OP is ok!! That is scary stuff.

So...just adding to the discussion, not trying to start a tussle, I promise! My motorcycle safety instructor insisted the "lay it down" thing is actually not a valid way to avoid a collision. He explained it this way...if momentum is still carrying you and your bike forward, but your tires are no longer able to apply braking force and traction against the street because you've laid it down, then hard (and smooth) parts of your bike are essentially taking the place of your tires. These hard parts are much more likely to slide farther than the bike would have traveled had it remained in an upright position with appropriate braking technique. Not only that, but now the rider has voluntarily placed their own body on the pavement while in motion, and he simply couldn't endorse that under any circumstances. His theory was the rider should always stay with the bike and use the controls, don't take the chance that a bike (and rider) sliding across the pavement is ever a valid way out. In the circumstance described here, he might have said, "so the front tire came to rest just under the car's side panel, ok, but that tells me had you stayed in the saddle and kept the bike under control, then there actually was time and space to avoid the car after all."

Personally, I'm very lucky to never have been in this situation (knock on wood), so I can't say I'm an expert. What the instructor said seemed to make sense to me, though. One of many things I remember from class.
 
Kvdv, I’m not taking sides here either. The bike mags say what your instructor said.
 
kvdv' pid='184164' dateline='1506540177 said:
First, I'm glad the OP is ok!! That is scary stuff.

So...just adding to the discussion, not trying to start a tussle, I promise! My motorcycle safety instructor insisted the "lay it down" thing is actually not a valid way to avoid a collision. He explained it this way...if momentum is still carrying you and your bike forward, but your tires are no longer able to apply braking force and traction against the street because you've laid it down, then hard (and smooth) parts of your bike are essentially taking the place of your tires. These hard parts are much more likely to slide farther than the bike would have traveled had it remained in an upright position with appropriate braking technique. Not only that, but now the rider has voluntarily placed their own body on the pavement while in motion, and he simply couldn't endorse that under any circumstances. His theory was the rider should always stay with the bike and use the controls, don't take the chance that a bike (and rider) sliding across the pavement is ever a valid way out. In the circumstance described here, he might have said, "so the front tire came to rest just under the car's side panel, ok, but that tells me had you stayed in the saddle and kept the bike under control, then there actually was time and space to avoid the car after all."

Personally, I'm very lucky to never have been in this situation (knock on wood), so I can't say I'm an expert. What the instructor said seemed to make sense to me, though. One of many things I remember from class.

Laying bike down : I crashed !
 
I agree with Kdvd. If you're putting you bike down, you're relinquishing control, you're lengthening your stop, and you're in a collision by default. In 20-odd years of riding, I've never been in any situation where me sliding on the ground was the optimal choice, and, obviously, there are innumerable situations that I haven't experienced, so take my armchair quarterbacking with a grain of salt and please don't take it personally.

For the gray-haired riders round here, is the notion of having to put a bike down, in the case of a seemingly inevitable collision, something that lingers from the past, you know, before ABS, riding modes, traction control, big effective disc brakes, and slipper clutches? Or does it still apply? I'm guessing that there are more situations than there are viable rubber-side-down options.

I'm really glad you're ok Jeffmazz
 
Thread starter
crutch_imp said:
Glad you and the bike are going to be ok.
I have a question about "dropping the bike".
Is it something that is practiced and learned, or was it just instinctive and automatic?
Did you consciously drop the bike, or did it just happen subconsciously?
Just curious.
Thanks.
Crutch
I intentionally put it down. If I didn't slide sideways I would have hit him with the front wheel.
 
Thread starter
kvdv_imp said:
First, I'm glad the OP is ok!! That is scary stuff.

So...just adding to the discussion, not trying to start a tussle, I promise! My motorcycle safety instructor insisted the "lay it down" thing is actually not a valid way to avoid a collision. He explained it this way...if momentum is still carrying you and your bike forward, but your tires are no longer able to apply braking force and traction against the street because you've laid it down, then hard (and smooth) parts of your bike are essentially taking the place of your tires. These hard parts are much more likely to slide farther than the bike would have traveled had it remained in an upright position with appropriate braking technique. Not only that, but now the rider has voluntarily placed their own body on the pavement while in motion, and he simply couldn't endorse that under any circumstances. His theory was the rider should always stay with the bike and use the controls, don't take the chance that a bike (and rider) sliding across the pavement is ever a valid way out. In the circumstance described here, he might have said, "so the front tire came to rest just under the car's side panel, ok, but that tells me had you stayed in the saddle and kept the bike under control, then there actually was time and space to avoid the car after all."

Personally, I'm very lucky to never have been in this situation (knock on wood), so I can't say I'm an expert. What the instructor said seemed to make sense to me, though. One of many things I remember from class.
kvdv,
If I had stayed in the saddle and continued straight I would have hit the Taxi with my front wheel and most likely done a lot more damage to the bike and myself. When I dropped the bike I slid sideways then went down. This put more room between me and the vehicle. When I stopped, my front tire was just under the rocker panel and my rear tire was an inch or two away from the rocker panel. I'm not suggesting to anyone to drop their bike to avoid a collision but I would never tell anyone to never do it. Every situation is different and it may be the better option.
 
I very seldom ride my motorcycle in the city. But a couple of weeks ago after topping up the gas tank after a day long ride I had a close call. I looked left and then right exiting a shopping center parking lot. There were cars approaching from the right but they turned right into an opposing entrance leaving me the right of way. Just as I started forward I heard the sound of a loud horn and screeching brakes. I instinctively turned hard left towards the curb and applied the brakes. I ended up a couple of inches away from a shiny new BMW.

The young driver had turned left from behind the store while I was looking right. When he rolled down the passenger window I apologized and thank him for stopping quickly and sounding the horn.

After he had driven away I wondered if I had spent more time looking right than I realized, or did he race around the corner and hence the screeching brakes. As my dad used to say, "It takes two mistakes to make an accident." But I know I should have made a second look left before proceeding. Rode away happy there was no contact.
 
jeffmazz_imp said:
crutch_imp said:
Glad you and the bike are going to be ok.
I have a question about "dropping the bike".
Is it something that is practiced and learned, or was it just instinctive and automatic?
Did you consciously drop the bike, or did it just happen subconsciously?
Just curious.
Thanks.
Crutch
I intentionally put it down. If I didn't slide sideways I would have hit him with the front wheel.
Lol. Glad you're OK though.
 
I like ABS for this reason and when I went down on my 250 I could have used it, but, sometimes these drivers leave no time. I think we need bright clothes and helmets and bikes. We have to be like Christmas trees. People pull out on front of CARS, never mind bikes. They mis judge or don't care, "I'll make it". I liked my CB500F because you could just bugger onto the brakes and hammer the thing if need be and then get back on the gas and scoot around some tool who pulled in front of you, and I had to do just that on occasion. It was light so I could just slam it.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
I like ABS for this reason and when I went down on my 250 I could have used it, but, sometimes these drivers leave no time. I think we need bright clothes and helmets and bikes. We have to be like Christmas trees. People pull out on front of CARS, never mind bikes. They mis judge or don't care, "I'll make it". I liked my CB500F because you could just bugger onto the brakes and hammer the thing if need be and then get back on the gas and scoot around some tool who pulled in front of you, and I had to do just that on occasion. It was light so I could just slam it.
I liked my CB500XA for the same reason. I had a woman speed up from behind me in the other lane of a highway and turn right at me because she was going to miss her exit. From 100 KPH to a dead stop. ABS and a lighter bike saved my butt.

I ride the back roads. It was routine for me to have to make a hard stop when animals ran out of the bush in front of me: wild turkeys, countless deer, and a black bear. Something about the sound of the CB500XA made them panic.

Oddly enough I don't have the same problem with the CB1100 EX. Maybe the quieter motor and louder mufflers keep them away?

When I rode in the 60s, 70s and 80s farm dogs would run to the bottom of the laneway to chase you. Oddly enough I have not had that happen on either bike over the last 4 years.
 
jeffmazz' pid='183903' dateline='1506217090 said:
I had to drop the bike to avoid a Taxi that turned left in front of me in Harrisburg PA. No turn signal and seems as if he made a split second decision to turn in front of me into an alley. It was either put it down or nail him broadside. I managed to avoid making contact although my front wheel was just under the rocker panel of his van.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope you heal quick. Can you explain why you "had to drop the bike"? Does a bike really stop quicker sliding on the pavement than it would with both tires contacting the ground? I did not read KVDV's comments before this post, sorry.
 
Btw
My slogan is still:

go/drive as if you are invisible



Clear , black clothes/helmets with black bike is still ""the best""
 
Most important thing is that jeffmazz is OK.

Without a doubt the 'rubber-side-down' attitude delivers more stopping power than the metal/plastic bits on the side of the bike. Sometimes in a panic stop it's easy to apply a little too much brake, especially whilst turning, and down she goes faster than a groom's pants on the wedding night. Many years ago I was told by my instructors to regularly practice hard braking but I'll admit that those practice sessions are way too infrequent these days. Jeffmazz's incident is a good prompter to work on my braking skills.
 
Back
Top