Had to drop the bike today

jeffmazz_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I had to drop the bike to avoid a Taxi that turned left in front of me in Harrisburg PA. No turn signal and seems as if he made a split second decision to turn in front of me into an alley. It was either put it down or nail him broadside. I managed to avoid making contact although my front wheel was just under the rocker panel of his van.

Plenty of witnesses (one was a police officer). Could have been a lot worse. I have minor scrapes and a pulled a muscle in my chest along with a slightly banged up knee. Be careful out there. You never know when someone is going to cross your path.
 
Bummer but glad to read you have very minor injuries. The bike is easy to fix.

The time a car turned left in front of me it was a lot worse...totaled bike, broken R hand, nose and R foot, 7 broken teeth, knocked unconscious for nearly an hour. Of course it happened so fast I didn't have any time to do anything except Tbone the front passenger door of the car.

Heal fast and get back into riding slowly.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Bummer but glad to read you have very minor injuries. The bike is easy to fix.

The time a car turned left in front of me it was a lot worse...totaled bike, broken R hand, nose and R foot, 7 broken teeth, knocked unconscious for nearly an hour. Of course it happened so fast I didn't have any time to do anything except Tbone the front passenger door of the car.

Heal fast and get back into riding slowly.
Thanks Ferret. No matter how vigilant you are, unfortunately, you usually don't have enough time to react to a left turner. Glad you survived your accident. I'm sure it is an experience you'll never forget. I lost two friends to left turners and always wondered if there was something they could have done to avoid their untimely demise. After experiencing it myself I now know they most likely didn't have a chance.

Stay safe.
Mscb1100_imp said:
Glad you are ok and had witnesses
Thanks! Witnesses are good...........
 
Jeff, besides wearing better more visible gear if I see someone pulling out from a sidestreet or stopping to turn left in front of me, I will do a small back and forth weave in my lane to draw attention that I am there. Of course if they are coming towards you on the move and make the decision to turn spur of the moment, you don't have time for that.

Left turners and inattentive lane crossers are a couple of my biggest fears.
 
Gee Jeffmax, that really sucks. Taxis and limousines....
Mend well and the CB does not look so damaged that a few parts will take care of.
 
Sorry to hear about this jeffmazz, but glad you're apparently not too badly hurt. The down under equivalent (a right turner) got me once years ago. I don't think there was anything I could have done.
 
Thread starter
Mscb1100_imp said:
I m curious, was it the didn't see you or thought he could make it defense?
The guy didn't speak much english but he said he didn't see me.
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I priced out the parts and was surprised to find that the side cover is $100 and the speedo cover is $25. I thought these parts were going to be much more expensive. I'm going to get an estimate for the repairs and most likely fix the bike myself after I get paid.
The ferret_imp said:
Jeff, besides wearing better more visible gear if I see someone pulling out from a sidestreet or stopping to turn left in front of me, I will do a small back and forth weave in my lane to draw attention that I am there. Of course if they are coming towards you on the move and make the decision to turn spur of the moment, you don't have time for that.

Left turners and inattentive lane crossers are a couple of my biggest fears.
Ferret, I've been riding for 35 years and never thought to do the weave to attract attention. That's great advice and something I will do from now on when possible.
Thanks!
 
Glad you're here to post about it. You never know what these cagers are thinking.

I used to flash my hi/lo beams to be more visible when a car was upcoming to make a left turn. Then I thought..does he think I'm flashing him to go ahead? I stopped doing that. The lane weave is a good idea I think.
 
I also for years have moved around in my lane in heavy traffic, I once got pulled over
for this but as soon as he saw my gray hair he said - oh sorry - and pulled away.
 
CA200_imp said:
I also for years have moved around in my lane in heavy traffic, I once got pulled over
for this but as soon as he saw my gray hair he said - oh sorry - and pulled away.
That's classic! I'm going to be sure to pull my helmet off if (when) I get stopped while riding. I'll just point to the every growing white/grey sparseness and see if that helps.
 
Glad you are okay. I was in a head-on with a station wagon years ago. Came right at me from the right with no time to react. There was a telephone pole between us and I think it blocked his view. Eye contact, watch the front tires, and swerving in lane are a necessity. Still, some times quick reaction like you did, laying it down, is the only choice. Good job!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Any crash where you can walk away and the bike is not totaled is as close to a win as you can get without crashing. Good on ya!

The sudden left turn is just so darn scary, because at some point you have to commit...unless you want to slow to a virtual crawl. Which, I have to admit, I have done on occasion when a driver's vehicle language suggests impatience. If someone lets their car keep rolling or creeping...I do slow down greatly while watching the mirrors and stare right at the offender.

In addition to ferret's weaving maneuver, I ride with daytime brights (yes, I know it's illegal in some over-regulated societies) and will ride straight at a side-entering or left-turning vehicle to give them the full brilliance of those lumens.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Jeff, besides wearing better more visible gear if I see someone pulling out from a sidestreet or stopping to turn left in front of me, I will do a small back and forth weave in my lane to draw attention that I am there. Of course if they are coming towards you on the move and make the decision to turn spur of the moment, you don't have time for that.

Left turners and inattentive lane crossers are a couple of my biggest fears.
That's good practice Sir. It's probably been mentioned before but I also will use my high beam at intersections and for oncoming traffic who might turn left or for impatient oncoming tailgaters who may try and pass using the left lane . It's a tactic similar to those motorcycle alternating head lamp flashers, although I discovered the tactic myself while driving a Truck. No one tries any cute maneuvers when a big truck coming at them turns on the bright headlights. It works so well that I use it for any vehicle I drive/ride now. I'm glad you're ok. Quick thinking on your part to ditch it.
 
Glad you and the bike are going to be ok.
I have a question about "dropping the bike".
Is it something that is practiced and learned, or was it just instinctive and automatic?
Did you consciously drop the bike, or did it just happen subconsciously?
Just curious.
Thanks.
Crutch
 
Back
Top