Had a small crash

jermo47_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Had a small crash on Friday. I've been testing the lean angles lately trying to get a feel for how far over I can lean this thing and expected the peg feelers to give me enough warning to pull out of it, well apparently the crash bars are right there and when the peg feeler started rubbing it was a split second to when the crash bar hit and bam slide.

Vid:

Bike is fine and I'm fine. The crash bars took all of the slide essentially.

Crash bars: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...cE4YanjRTQ

I know how far I can lean now lol. Seriously though... Good crash bars for crashing.
 
Thanks for the heads up jermo, i fitted crash bars to mine , others have mentioned this issue and i feel i'm missing out on a bit of fun cos i'm wary on the curve's. I guess its a trade off for the piece of mind they give, pleased your ok.
 
jermo47_imp said:
Had a small crash on Friday. I've been testing the lean angles lately trying to get a feel for how far over I can lean this thing and expected the peg feelers to give me enough warning to pull out of it, well apparently the crash bars are right there and when the peg feeler started rubbing it was a split second to when the crash bar hit and bam slide.

Vid:

Bike is fine and I'm fine. The crash bars took all of the slide essentially.

Crash bars: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...cE4YanjRTQ

I know how far I can lean now lol. Seriously though... Good crash bars for crashing.


Wow I am glad you are ok! I have Motech bars and my peg feelers touch first. I have been on the fence about removing the feelers for looks only. It looks like the only thing that touched was the bars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
What use2be said. Glad you're OK.
 
Glad you are ok. That didn't seem like too sharp of a corner.
 
Great video, thanks for sharing. Glad you and bike are OK. Looked like pretty low speed. Any other contributing factors? Tires? Slick pavement? Did the engine guards exacerbate the problem?
 
Thread starter
clearviewx_imp said:
Glad you are ok. That didn't seem like too sharp of a corner.
Yeah the angle doesn't look as steep as I was leaning because of the helmet mount and the way I keep my head angled through corners. I'll just have to lean a bit more and keep the bike a bit more upright.
The A-man_imp said:
Great video, thanks for sharing. Glad you and bike are OK. Looked like pretty low speed. Any other contributing factors? Tires? Slick pavement? Did the engine guards exacerbate the problem?
Yeah the guards hit right after the peg feelers. In the vid you can hear the peg feeler start to scrape and then bam the crash bars. Road was dry not oily tires are still good only a couple thousand miles on them. The crash bars did save the engine and the rest of the bike but at the trade-off of them hitting very soon after the peg feelers.

I have some pictures closer of the damage I'll drop on imgur and Link in a reply here in a minute.
Link to pics of the damage.
 
I prefer to leave a little mystery into how far I can lean. Glad to hear you and the bike are both ok.

Btw I couldn't get the vid to open.
 
Glad you're ok! If I'm reading the speedo right in the video, it looks like you were doing 25 to maybe 30mph. Better to find out what you can't do at that speed and not at something a lot higher.
 
Yep. You don't have to go fast to find max lean angle.

After I installed my Over Racing crash bars from Samurider, I went out to the airport and tested the lean angle on a wide expanse of empty pavement. I was able to scrape the feelers with hard turns at 15 mph and verified that the bars had plenty of clearance.

On the bright side, the crash bar did what it was supposed to do and minimized the damage.
 
I'm impressed with just how well the bars protected everything else. Hope my OEM bars could do as well, and hope to never find out!
 
I have the Honda OEM "Engine Guards" and I'm able to touch the foot pegs without any interference from the engine guards.

5b0ebcee901c469274d0f7fa6a9116f6.JPG


751094d9ffcde2dbdfa7c2a78bcf3295.JPG
 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
I have the Honda OEM "Engine Guards" and I'm able to touch the foot pegs without any interference from the engine guards.

5b0ebcee901c469274d0f7fa6a9116f6.JPG


751094d9ffcde2dbdfa7c2a78bcf3295.JPG
I think the OEM ones allow the engine case to scratch on the ground, or at least I think I remember seeing a post about it on here which is why I went with the larger ones but at the cost of some lost lean angle it would appear lol.
 
Very glad you're okay. Also great is that the bike is fine. However, a DLX would probably need some $$ since it would have likely scraped the left exhaust. Part of the reason I went for frame sliders instead of engine guards is that the sliders mount higher. If you scrape the pegs, they're sprung to move out of the way a bit. Not so with engine guards.

Having scraped the peg feelers only very rarely and usually in tighter corners like in the one you had in the video, it's good to hope for a bit more reserve before hard things scrape.
 
I actually scraped my peg feeler, And the Motech engine guard bracket slightly. It was enough to knock the little plastic nut cover off. I have scraped the pegs many times. This was the first contact with engine guard. No worries.
4d1f8046b900ec3289fa6990b1da1549.png

This was on a little 100 mile ride yesterday.
 
Back
Top