H4 Head light Bulb Question

I did not feel any heat at all , just a little warm after installing the Native H4 , I have to say that I never checked the heat when running the standard H4 , could even be the same warmth.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I did not feel any heat at all , just a little warm after installing the Native H4 , I have to say that I never checked the heat when running the standard H4 , could even be the same warmth.
Thanks Houtman. That is encouraging, given even the large heatsink on some LED subassemblies.

I would expect [good] engineers to do proper heat management design considerations in an enclosed environment. That said, some do not and we pay in inconvenience.
 
There are many types of LED H4 replacements bulbs for sale but I think that you are safe with the Native H4 one as many bikers have installed them on their bikes and many of the other ones for sale seem more for car/truck applications , see the reviews on the ADVMONSTER website as well.
 
So do we have a definitive review of the Native H4's performance compared to the OEM bulb? My main focus is on being able to see at night and low-beam/high beam distance and brightness. I find it way too easy to outrun the stock headlight. And does it work well with the standard "reflector" setup? Sorry, I know that isn't the proper term.
 
I have not had my bike out at night but in my garage with no lights on you can see a BIG difference , the H4R3 I put on my wife's car are MUCH better but of course on that light the dim stays on while on big beam . They are all cheap up grades , being better seen in the day time could be worth your life !
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Elevenminusoneblade_imp said:
I recently installed one of these: https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm35-bulbs-only/ in both my Moto Guzzi and Ducati. Installation was as easy as replacing a standard halogen bulb. Super bright and not bluish at all.
I still wonder how effective cooling is when the warm air accumulates in the mostly closed plastic shell of the original CB headlamp assembly. Maybe it is a non-issue if the temperatures approach that of the halogen bulb or is less. However, the LED electronics have to still tolerate the internal headlight ambient temperature, something that is a non-issue for a halogen bulb (no electronics).
I still wonder how effective cooling is when the warm air accumulates in the mostly closed plastic shell of the original CB headlamp assembly. Maybe it is a non-issue if the temperatures approach that of the halogen bulb or is less. However, the LED electronics have to still tolerate the internal headlight ambient temperature, something that is a non-issue for a halogen bulb (no electronics).
I'm not sure. The website describes a brushless fan which cools things. You wouldn't know it by looking at it though. Certainly can't hear anything. They're about twice the price of the native h4 bulbs.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have not had my bike out at night but in my garage with no lights on you can see a BIG difference , the H4R3 I put on my wife's car are MUCH better but of course on that light the dim stays on while on big beam . They are all cheap up grades , being better seen in the day time could be worth your life !
Thanks for the response. And I'll keep you in my prayers for the surgery. Hope to see you again at the next rally.
 
I updated my headlight bulb using the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9003. Brighter white light. 20 bucks at the local auto parts store. Very happy with the performance.
 
Thread starter
I did ride last night for 3 hours in dark road canyons and free way and highways, my members of riding group were very loud complimenting the new bulb, I was also able to see much better , I used the H4 direct plug in from ADVmostre ,installation was as easy as lifting your finger, then i used the side screw to point it exactly to the 12 o'clock, and used two side screws to lift it to point to the distance good for my riding . I could not be happier with the 40 $ spent. I was thinking to ad fog lights for more visibility ,which will not be needed.
Thank you forum.
Ride safe/Ride long
 
Yep, I think I'm slightly over 2 years in with the H4R3 from Advmonster....and I still love it. It's a fantastic upgrade for the price.

The one thing that slightly concerns me with LED bulbs is what happens when they die? I know they last a very, very long time....but not forever.

With the stock incandescent lamp, if the low beam goes out at night, I think we can still ride home with the high beam on.....is that correct?
I'm not sure if that's the case with the LED. It's not a serious matter though, as I ride vastly more in the daytime....so my chances are good of it happening then :)

If not, I do keep the old stock bulb wrapped up in plastic, under the seat. I hope I never need it!
 
Jim, if the low beam filament blows on the stock bulb, high beam still works.
 
Ennsync_imp said:
I did ride last night for 3 hours in dark road canyons and free way and highways, my members of riding group were very loud complimenting the new bulb, I was also able to see much better , I used the H4 direct plug in from ADVmostre ,installation was as easy as lifting your finger, then i used the side screw to point it exactly to the 12 o'clock, and used two side screws to lift it to point to the distance good for my riding . I could not be happier with the 40 $ spent. I was thinking to ad fog lights for more visibility ,which will not be needed.
Thank you forum.
Ride safe/Ride long
I assume that you used the Native H 4 ?
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Ennsync_imp said:
I did ride last night for 3 hours in dark road canyons and free way and highways, my members of riding group were very loud complimenting the new bulb, I was also able to see much better , I used the H4 direct plug in from ADVmostre ,installation was as easy as lifting your finger, then i used the side screw to point it exactly to the 12 o'clock, and used two side screws to lift it to point to the distance good for my riding . I could not be happier with the 40 $ spent. I was thinking to ad fog lights for more visibility ,which will not be needed.
Thank you forum.
Ride safe/Ride long
I assume that you used the Native H 4 ?
I assume that you used the Native H 4 ?
yes they have 2 types ,i used the native, just plug in.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Yep, I think I'm slightly over 2 years in with the H4R3 from Advmonster....and I still love it. It's a fantastic upgrade for the price.

The one thing that slightly concerns me with LED bulbs is what happens when they die? I know they last a very, very long time....but not forever.

With the stock incandescent lamp, if the low beam goes out at night, I think we can still ride home with the high beam on.....is that correct?
I'm not sure if that's the case with the LED. It's not a serious matter though, as I ride vastly more in the daytime....so my chances are good of it happening then :)

If not, I do keep the old stock bulb wrapped up in plastic, under the seat. I hope I never need it!
Just a bit of clarity, the LED substrate rarely fails and I have yet to hear about one that did. More commonly the power electronics fails. This can happen due to sub par electronic components (e.g. capacitors from strange nations), or heat fatigue. This point is moot to the rider because the light subassembly still fails. I haven't checked, however, there could be redundancy engineered in case the standard low beam functionality fails that maybe a secondary system will illuminate enough to get to safety. Check with your manufacturer's specifications.
 
Back
Top