Grip Puppies

dbarkdoll_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Has anyone here experienced a sticky throttle after installing the foam Grip Puppies? I trimmed them a bit to avoid any overhang on the stock grips, so I know that they are not hanging up on anything. Almost seems like they're gripping TOO tight and impeding throttle action. :huh:

(Dont worry I immediately took them back off)
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Has anyone here experienced a sticky throttle after installing the foam Grip Puppies? I trimmed them a bit to avoid any overhang on the stock grips, so I know that they are not hanging up on anything. Almost seems like they're gripping TOO tight and impeding throttle action. :huh:

(Dont worry I immediately took them back off)
Good call.
 
I never had any problems with Grip Puppies on the CB or two previous bikes.

The Grip Puppies would have to be dragging on the bar-end to cause a sticky throttle. And they likely wouldn't get past the flange at the top of the grip to drag on anything else, or could they? ;)

I don't see how they could be so tight as to compress the throttle tube, unless your throttle tube was damaged in a previous accident. A botched installation of OEM replacement or aftermarket grips could potentially cause such a problem too, but you wrote that you still had stock grips.

Did you have proper throttle free-play with the bars in all positions before you installed the Grip Puppies? If not, I would suspect that your throttle cables might need to be adjusted to prevent binding.

I installed hand guards and needed to be careful with the external routing and adjustment of my throttle cables to prevent binding at full steering lock positions.
Bar risers that are too tall, could potentially cause a similar problem with cable routing.
 
+1 on Gumby's comments. The Grip Puppies need to be trimmed to fit only over the existing grips. If they were properly installed, it's very unlikely that you solved your throttle problem by removing them. Although, i suppose it's possible that the relative tackiness of the new grips against your glove is giving you a feeling that that the throttle is sticking.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the responses y’all. I’ll investigate further later this week. I don’t think cable routing is the issue.
 
Thread starter
FYI I tried again today and got them on there with no issues. Not sure what the problem was before. It was cold and rainy today so no test ride but I can tell that I will really enjoy the added comfort of these.
 
I have used grip puppies for years. Great product and relatively cheap. I even have a set on my ATV and yes my SNOWBLOWER!
 
Back
Top