Greetings from the California Coast

JRD

First service completed
Thread starter
Good morning, all! I just had the amazing fortune of being able to pick up a 2017 cb1100ex and wanted to introduce myself to the community.

I have already found this space to be very useful for finding information and advice on our limited accessory options. Seems like a very helpful and knowledgeable group.

I have been riding, intermittently, for about 20 years. My first bike was a ‘92 cb Nighthawk 750 that I got when i was 19 and used as my only transportation for about three years. Great bike that I didn’t appreciate or take proper care of at the time. Since then I have owned a Shadow Aero 750 and a RE INt650.

Just got the CB a few weeks ago. Found a mint 2017 with only 4400 miles on it. Clean bill of health from my mechanic. Probably paid a bit too much for it but the 2017s seem rare as hell and I wanted it.

I am absolutely blown away by how nice this bike is. Everything about it inspires confidence. Solid as a rock. Not a lick of plastic bodywork on it. Feels like it is held to the ground with magnets. Can pull power from any gear at any speed. Can comfortably do 80 in 3rd gear while also happy to just cruz at 25mph (also in 3rd). Too heavy to really throw around in the windies, but if you follow its lead it will sigh and settle into corners like your dad easing into his favorite recliner.

Reviews say it is underpowered but I can’t imagine what they are talking about. I’m not racing this thing against R1s at the track. It has ample power, at any speed, out if any gear. I twist the throttle. I go. What more could I want?

Reviews say it is overweight. I ask “compared to what?” It is 100lbs less than my old Shadow (with twice the HP) I think maybe folks only know sport bikes? This isn’t trying to be a sport bike. It’s trying to be a UMJ. The weight grants stability and comfort and smoothness and confidence that a lighter bike simply couldn’t have.

I. Love. This. Bike. Last king of a dying kingdom. 

Came with a National Cycle 17” universal mount windscreen. Works fine but the turbulance off the screen edge crests right into my helmet and really ups the wind noise. Took that off (it’s for sale, if you still want it after that review) and the bike runs much smoother and quieter. The pressure on my chest above 80mph is a bit much, now, so I’m in the process of moving the Dart Marlin over from my RE (Dart was able to dig a mounting kit out of backstock for me). Experienced tells me that it’s the perfect little windscreen: takes the pressure off your chest but lets your head ride in clean air.

Came with some small zip-tied on leather saddlebags. Work okay. Look okay. I’m currently looking into hard luggage options.

Can’t wait for the weather to get dry so I can load up my pillion and take it for some real adventures!
 
Howdy JRD and welcomd to the forum. Congrats on finding a great bike. We are kind of fond of the CB 1100s here.
 
Welcome JRD. It's good to hear of a new owner's excitement over their CB1100. To find a '17ex with only 4400 miles is a good find. I suspect that the mileage will increase rapidly. When you get the opportunity, it would be cool to see some photos of your new ride.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JRD
Welcome to the forum, JRD.
 
Welcome and congrats on your new bike.
I assure you, you won’t be disappointed, I've had three CB1100s. 
Pics are needed to believe you actually have one ;)
 
Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to your pictures and posts.

Last year, I purchased my 2017 CB1100EX. Like you, I love the motorcycle for all the reasons you listed and more.

I have been working on it since I had the good fortune to purchase it. Please see a few accessories I picked up along the way which may be of interest to you:

Rear Rack: The CB1100 Community Forum

Top Case: The CB1100 Community Forum

Screen: The CB1100 Community Forum

Crash Bars: The CB1100 Community Forum

RLET: The CB1100 Community Forum (the most important accessory on the Forum!) :)
 
I have been pleased with a Dart Marlin on several bikes.
0-60 in 3.3 seconds with the 2014 standard is not in the slow category.
A little heavy to move around the garage, but once it is rolling, I found it to handle the twisties fine.
And high speed passing in the remote areas of Nevada was a thrill.
 

Attachments

  • F2-Badwater 1 Feb 2018.webp
    F2-Badwater 1 Feb 2018.webp
    926.5 KB · Views: 34
Welcome, JRD! Where are you in CA if you don't mind me asking. Just like to know where my fellow CB1100 riders are, since they're so rarely seen! Nice assessment of the bike, and I heartily agree.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
Welcome, JRD! Where are you in CA if you don't mind me asking. Just like to know where my fellow CB1100 riders are, since they're so rarely seen! Nice assessment of the bike, and I heartily agree.

I’m in Santa Cruz. Great area for weekend rides!
 
Nice! I love it up there. It’s been a while since I’ve passed through but I hope to soon.

Where does one ride in Santa Cruz for recreation? I’ve just passed through coming down from San Francisco or up from Monterey.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
Nice! I love it up there. It’s been a while since I’ve passed through but I hope to soon.

Where does one ride in Santa Cruz for recreation? I’ve just passed through coming down from San Francisco or up from Monterey.

The the Santa Cruz Mountains, Coastal Redwoods, and ocean views make for a lot of good rides in the area.

My go-to is hw9 up to Skyline, a stop at Alice’s Restaurant to chat and look at the bikes, then down 84 through La Honda to the Ocean. Hw1 back home (with maybe a detour through Boony Doon if I want to get a few more windies in at the end).
 
That sounds awesome! I love riding through the Redwood Forest. Always wanted to go to Alice’s Restaurant!
 
Gone in 60 said:
That sounds awesome! I love riding through the Redwood Forest. Always wanted to go to Alice’s Restaurant!

You should go Gone. I've heard you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.
 
Well ... exceptin' Alice.
 
Back
Top