Great Basin of Nevada Ride Planning

GoldOxide_imp said:
Zion National Park is quite simply stunning and a must see if in the area. If I had to choose between the Grand Canyon and Zion, I would choose Zion. Of course, do both if that fits the schedule.

Highway 89: This is a must do scenic highway. If there is any highway in and around AZ, NV and UT, this is a superb candidate.
For clarity: Highway 89A (AZ) is pretty darn nice too - but a much different experience than 89 (AZ/UT). Do both!
 
89 south of Prescott has some twisties, but 89A over Mingus Mountain between Prescott and Clarkdale - Cottonwood is an excellent motorcycle road... as is 89A from Sedona up to Flagstaff going through Oak Creek Canyon.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
89 south of Prescott has some twisties, but 89A over Mingus Mountain between Prescott and Clarkdale - Cottonwood is an excellent motorcycle road... as is 89A from Sedona up to Flagstaff going through Oak Creek Canyon.
Yeah, Highway 89 is more about the geography WOW experience.

(you feel kinda insignificant at times)
 
89 going into Sedona is a great road geographically from what I remember when my wife and I rode in in 2003
 
Thread starter
Happy New Year, crew! I was away for the holidays with family & friends, just jumping back in here.

Thanks for the additional tips and hints!
 
Welcome back!
This info is from post 24 link of coldest cities in each state:

Nevada: Ely

– #24. nationally
– Average temperature, 2018-2022: 46.2 F
– Average daily maximum: 63.3 F
– Average daily minimum: 29.1 F

I was there, 11 Feb 2021, to operate steam engine 93. It was COLD, but the fireman shoveled 8 tons of coal (his estimate). Glad I was not there in the summer!
 
Thread starter
I'm definitely bringing my winter riding gear with me, even in May!
dca59a703a7f8486aedd2dcaf1ab1f9f.png
 
The ferret_imp said:
89 going into Sedona is a great road geographically from what I remember when my wife and I rode in in 2003
You are probably remembering 89A

89 has curves From Wilholt up towards Prescott.
Then it is rather straight from Prescott to AshFork and is the same as Interstate 40 until Flagstaff.

89A has multiple scenic twisties over Mingus Mountain, through Jerome to Clakdalle/Cottonwood. Then from Sedona, scenic twisties through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff.
Stichill_imp said:
I'm definitely bringing my winter riding gear with me, even in May!
dca59a703a7f8486aedd2dcaf1ab1f9f.png
Good idea. At that elevation (6,437 feet) it cools down quickly at night, even in the summer.
 
Back
Top