Grand Prix of Malaysia ***spoiler alert***

Thread starter
Yea me too. As a Dani fan I should be thrillled. All I can think is Rossi is riding like a guilty man with a bad conscience right now.

Ok 4 am going to bed. Will find out outcome in the morning.
 
Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch this one. What I am reading is not good. I had thought a lot of the pre-race talk from Rossi was just more of his psych-war stuff. Sounds like he deliberately ran Marc off the track. Now he's probably lost the championship (he starts last in the grid for the last race) as well as severely tarnished his legacy.

Too bad.
 
Thread starter
6 hours sleep ugg. Just read race directors decision. 3 penalty points and starting last at Valencia

Sad fact is it's a lot more than 3 points..it's the championship, respect from his fellow riders, respect from fans and like DAC said a tarnishment of his legacy. Wow stupid move Rossi.

and CONGRATS DANI!
 
The overhead shot was most telling. Besides looking back several times, besides deliberately running wide, besides slowing down, you can clearly see Rossi kicking his knee out and hitting Marc's front fork.

What was he thinking? Valentino went off the deep end this week starting with the press conference Thursday. Very sad.

IMHO, the 3 point penalty is a travesty. I guess Dorna wanted to keep the championship alive and the money coming in for Valencia.

Edit: I just saw the rest of the penalty. Last place on the grid? Congratulations Jorge. As much as I dislike his occasional bad attitude (and the fact that he often beats MM), he truly deserves the championship.

Will Valencia be anticlimactic? Anything can happen.
 
What started as a thrilling race between Rossi and Marquez soon became a bar room brawl. Sad to see Rossi behave in this way. Though there was truth I think in his earlier comments about Marquez, Rossi should have kept silent and concentrated on finishing well.

Congrats to Dani whose outstanding race performance was overshadowed by other events out of his control.
 
Rossi's a jerk sure. To me for the MotoGP officials to give him a slap on the wrist will cause this type behavior to continue. They should have pulled him from the race. They leave him in to promote the drama which appears to be working (sadly).
 
I don't know this sport very well, but I didn't see this as a wrist slap. Though I will say it was a genuinely dangerous thing that he did. The penalty more or less gives Lorenzo an inside shot at the title.

Oh, and if Marc wasn't motivated to slow Rossi before, he sure is now. In fact, I don't think any rider will make it too easy for him to work his way through the pack. In the end, I think Marc just wants to win.
 
Might as well stir the possum.

I must be getting old, but I am terribly tired of the tolerance shown to execrable behaviour by elite athletes the world over. We probably expect way too much from them, but that doesn't excuse their occasionally appalling behaviour and governing bodies have an obligation to make a very strong stand against it. That they don't speaks volumes for how much more they care about gate takings than anything else.

Valentino Rossi made a cynical calculation and deliberately knocked a fellow rider off his bike. Marquez was lucky. He got back on and rode to the pits; but the consequences could have been considerably worse. No sane rider will ever want to be anywhere near Rossi on a track.

Sadly, the only proper response is to advise Mr Rossi that his services to MotoGP are no longer required. Officials should also express great sadness about such a brilliant and distinguished career ending in such a pathetic way.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Might as well stir the possum.

I must be getting old, but I am terribly tired of the tolerance shown to execrable behaviour by elite athletes the world over. We probably expect way too much from them, but that doesn't excuse their occasionally appalling behaviour and governing bodies have an obligation to make a very strong stand against it. That they don't speaks volumes for how much more they care about gate takings than anything else.

Valentino Rossi made a cynical calculation and deliberately knocked a fellow rider off his bike. Marquez was lucky. He got back on and rode to the pits; but the consequences could have been considerably worse. No sane rider will ever want to be anywhere near Rossi on a track.

Sadly, the only proper response is to advise Mr Rossi that his services to MotoGP are no longer required. Officials should also express great sadness about such a brilliant and distinguished career ending in such a pathetic way.
Yea baby
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Might as well stir the possum.

I must be getting old, but I am terribly tired of the tolerance shown to execrable behaviour by elite athletes the world over. We probably expect way too much from them, but that doesn't excuse their occasionally appalling behaviour and governing bodies have an obligation to make a very strong stand against it. That they don't speaks volumes for how much more they care about gate takings than anything else.

Valentino Rossi made a cynical calculation and deliberately knocked a fellow rider off his bike. Marquez was lucky. He got back on and rode to the pits; but the consequences could have been considerably worse. No sane rider will ever want to be anywhere near Rossi on a track.

Sadly, the only proper response is to advise Mr Rossi that his services to MotoGP are no longer required. Officials should also express great sadness about such a brilliant and distinguished career ending in such a pathetic way.
Very, very true. Hard riding, aggressive overtaking and defending a position are all a legitimate part of this demanding sport. But Rossi's move? Mate, as our cousins the Brits say, "That was not cricket". As I remarked in a previous post, I have followed Rossi's career since his 250cc days. From day one a remarkable talent despoiled by a spoiled brat attitude. A lot of Rossi's on track rivalries have been marked by unsavoury "incidents", broken friendships and unflattering comments from other riders. Nothing has changed. Talent? Yes. Enough maybe even to start from last on the grid and still salvage the Championship. Courage? Well I suppose so or he wouldn't be in the game. But courage of the right sort? No. It would have taken courage of the right sort to subdue MM in a hard fought and fair battle rather than stoop to an act that can only be described as desperate, despicable and dangerous. And, I nearly forgot, gutless.

Cheers
 
From a financial perspective, it's weird and not too astute for Rossi to pick a fight like this. His major sponsor is Movistar - a major telecom company in, um, Spain!

On a more positive note, glad that Dani Pedrosa get a win. Seems he's been through a lot this year.
 
I used to love nascar, nowadays not so much, pretty boring, I used to "love to hate" Dale Earnhardt Sr., he would pull this kinda crap all the time against some of my favorite drivers, sometimes it worked in his favor, sometimes not. Sponsors back then ate it up. nowadays it's become to PC. Nascar has finally realized this a couple of years ago and has been trying to get that back, in my eyes it's a little to late. Long story short, Rossi "earnhardt" his A$$. To me it keeps it exciting, glad Marquez wasn't hurt, but after watching and reading about this, I'm thinking he may have had it coming and while it was intentional on Rossi part, I don't think he meant to take him down, "it was that emotion thing" that got him in trouble. To me this is part of the whole package and it makes it even more exciting, It will be fun to watch the next race even more so.....
 
^^^^^. Respectfully, couldn't disagree more. Hard, no quarter given motorcycle racing is dangerous enough and about as far away from PC as you can get. To slow down and intentionally run wide to push another rider wide is like playing aces from your sleeve. Even the usually toothless race revue committee delivered a (gentle) slap to Rossi.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
^^^^^. Respectfully, couldn't disagree more. Hard, no quarter given motorcycle racing is dangerous enough and about as far away from PC as you can get. To slow down and intentionally run wide to push another rider wide is like playing aces from your sleeve. Even the usually toothless race revue committee delivered a (gentle) slap to Rossi.

Cheers
Respect given...:thumbsup: as you say a (gentle slap) it's just there way of looking like they care without ruining one of there "stars" of the sport and all the revenue that he creates, ticket sales, tv revenue, sponsorship, paychecks etc. without him and a select few riders nobody would care at that level unless you are strictly a manufacturer fan (honda for me). IMO motogp is loving the attention that this is bringing there brand....:beerchug:
 
^^ Quite right Headbanger02: the MotoGP organisers are loving this. No news is bad news, as they say. The controversy, the thrills and spills, Rossi's naked animosity are all part of attracting people to watch the sport.

With respect, my problem for me is that, like my friend Pterodactyl, I find the whole business of pulling aces out of sleeves repugnant—particularly when, in this environment, it's more akin to pulling a loaded gun from your sleeve. After Rossi pulled his 'marketing stunt' I lost interest in the race and still feel deeply annoyed ('cause that's a family-friendly word I can use here) that he ruined Dani Pedrosa's afternoon with an act of bastardry. He should be told to gather up his leathers, his helmet, his motorcycle and his attitude and take them home for good. The sport doesn't need him.

But, for the reasons you outline, the pusillanimous lot who run the show have not done it.

Pity.
 
Dale Earnhardt Sr. use to annoy me the same way RIP, wanted to tar and feather him every week, Didn't Marquez force himself into the last corner and bump Rossi to cut the corner at the Dutch Gp for the win or did the old dog (Rossi) school him and us into making us "think that" so he could cut the corner for the win. Is he that cunning and passionate enough to win and do this. I think so, how many championships has he won. Remember I'm a Honda/marquez fanboy, did I like it, no, did I enjoy it, yes. Of course, as always it just my opinion. thumbs up
 
Back
Top