Got in first crash recently.

walrusz06_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey all, first I'll start out with that I'm doing ok, just some sore shoulder and hips. Was cut off and couldn't stop in time and dumped on the side.

Glad I had all my gear on, I've seen some threads about not wearing gear when just around town, I was just getting gas locally and put my gear on even though it was 85 outside and boy am I happy.

Secondly I'm wondering about the eventual repair of the bike. Damage was limited to engine case on left side and my windscreen I just bought from samurider.

Thoughts on how to repair the engine? Just repaint and leave the scratched damage? Replace that side piece cover? Is that a big job? What is the paint code for the black engine.?

5775149c19f4c956a3554f4bf057f898.jpg
9fd95dae19d4907f381e532fb0a1d555.jpg
2fab9f66bfa546cf8ace245aac571cc2.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hey walrusz, I'm really pleased to hear you're all right and sorry to hear about the bike. Don't know what to suggest about the repair; if you're good enough you may be able to sand the worst of the scratches out and repaint. The paint code is on a sticker under the seat, I think; otherwise you should get be able to get it from a dealer.
 
Glad you are OK and I agree about always ridings with protective gear. I have a question for you. If you where riding the the DLX model with ABS would have that made a difference? Thanks.
Safe riding.
Frank Ferrante
 
Thread starter
Sadly, I do think the ABS might have avoided the final fall after the hard breaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The reason I asked was because I looking to buy a DLX but there are none to be had in my trip state area. Plenty of the standard model. So I can't decide on what to do. Thanks.
 
Glad to hear you are ok with only bumps and bruises. This is a perfect advertisement for protective gear and stories like this have persuaded me to invest in some better gear. I just last week bought a Shoei helmet and am looking at jackets etc.
I was interested to hear that you thought ABS may have saved you from actually coming off as opposed to being able to make the emergency maneuver and staying on the bike. I have the DLX and this was one of the reasons I sought the bike out.
As for the damage it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the side engine cover but providing it has not been cracked during the contact with the road it could also be repaired.
Seeing other reports of low siding I would say it would be a wise consideration to get some engine crash bars.
I have some SW Motech bars in black that came off my bike. The original owner had installed highway pegs to them so they are in need of a little paint job but I would be happy to send them to you free of charge. PM me if interested.
 
Glad you're OK and was smart enough to put your gear on for a gas run. Maybe replace the side cover and just sand and repaint the other small areas of scratches?

ABS would only have been of a help if in this case you locked the brakes and went into a skid for some distance. If you were braking forcefully and cleanly and just ran out of room due to the other vehicle suddenly in your front space, then ABS wouldn't really add anything to the mix.
 
Walrus,

Here is a site (there are others) that you can use to check and/or order parts and get part numbers: http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/#/c/honda_motorcycle_2014/parts pick your bike and the parts will come up. Or pick other years and bikes if you have more Hondas!

Cormanus is correct, the paint code is under the seat on a sticker on the frame.
 
Thread starter
So has anyone replaced that side case plate? Does that require anything special other than a gasket?
Think it comes painted?

The reason I think the abs may have helped is because at the last minute of the stop the front fork started twisting left and right violently due to likely skidding of front tire. It all happened in a number of quick seconds so I just squeezed the levers and hoped for the best. In the end I was astonished how I walked away and then rode home after adjusting the clutch lever.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Walrus, check the site I posted. If the part was painted from the factory, then the new part for YOUR bike will be too. Now if you ordered one with the part number for exampld the '13, then it would not be painted.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Glad you're OK and was smart enough to put your gear on for a gas run. Maybe replace the side cover and just sand and repaint the other small areas of scratches?

ABS would only have been of a help if in this case you locked the brakes and went into a skid for some distance. If you were braking forcefully and cleanly and just ran out of room due to the other vehicle suddenly in your front space, then ABS wouldn't really add anything to the mix.
This would be my inclination as well.

As the others have shared, I'm glad that you're doing okay and didn't suffer worse injuries.
 
Glad you are ok Walrusz06. Mind if I ask if you were wearing riding pants? That's the one piece of gear I always struggle with wanting to wear.
 
That cover covers the stator and the nose of the starter. There should be no oil behind it and it should just bolt on and off. If you can get a PN you should be able to order another black one from the dealer (though being an OEM part id wager it's going to be $400+)

Glad to hear you're okay. That sucks about the damage, but all in all it's not too bad for a low side.
 
I have repaired cosmetic side cover damage by sanding the damaged area, filling voids with JB Weld, sand smooth and repaint. If done carefully you really can't tell the part had been damaged and will save a bundle.
 
Thread starter
Ok. Great. Glad that it's just a cover. I'll check with the dealer a few hundred bucks for a full bike slide is in my mind no sweat.
I think I need to get back on the horse and start riding so the nervous feeling does not build up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also. I was just wearing jeans. No riding pants. It was relatively low speed so I didn't slide too far. Jeans were scuffed but didn't rub through. I assume if I was traveling faster and slid longer only riding pants or Kevlar jeans (on order right now) would have protected me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Glad you are ok and bike is too relatively speaking. Minor is good.

I like to tell people this about ABS. If a motorcycle traveling 55 mph will stop in 135 feet with ABS, if the object in your path is 140 feet away you will be good. However if the object in your path is 130 feet away, you are still going to hit it., or have to figure out another way to avoid it.

ABS has it's limits, however a skidding motorcycle is an out of control motorcycle, and that's never good.
 
Just one word of caution. Sometimes. when the stator takes a hit, it won't charge like it is supposed to. If you don't know how to check it, get a volt meter, set it to DC, put the black on Neg and the red on Pos on your battery posts. Start the bike and you should see a reading of ~14-16 volts @ 3k rpm. Just to be safe.
 
Good advice Toddman :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top