Good deal vs. Not-so-good deal

Buffalohead_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and introduced myself yesterday under "New Members". I thought some of you might be interested in this info.

I read in a previous post where another member flew to another state to buy a CB because the price justified the extra trouble. He said it was the Honda dealer in Chattanooga TN. (sp?)

I thought some of you might want to know about another dealer who makes good deals.

I will be buying a CB1100 soon and I have a friend who recently bought one. What a great dealer to be about 100 miles away. I also previously bought a Suzuki TU250X from the same dealer and received a great price (every day low price).

The dealer is Bartlesville Cycle Sports in Bartlesville Oklahoma.
Their total out-the-door price quoted to me is currently $9388.00 for a CB1100.
I think that is pretty good and I am going to buy mine from them. My friend and I have both been very happy dealing with these guys. Of course I have heard of other dealers who offer great no-haggle pricing but it's good to know where these dealers are and to find one close to you.

I hope it's okay to post this kind of information. I know I would want to be informed. Competition is a good thing!
 
Out the door for under $9200??? I'd jump on that without hesitation.

Although, if I was shopping today, I'd have a tougher time deciding... the Honda dealer in Dallas is clearing out 2012 VFR1200's (blue) for $5000-5500 under MSRP right now ($11,000! before TTL for non-DCT model).
 
Thread starter
CBMike_imp said:
Out the door price 800ish below msrp...seems like a smoking deal to me.
I guess I'm losing it in my old age. I forgot about the $200 deposit! The total price was $9,388.00 Still not bad, though.
You'd think I would have remembered since I loaned my friend the $ for a few weeks.
It was the cashier's check I had made out for $9,188 that stuck in my mind. Sorry about that! I hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up!
 
Quote:I guess I'm losing it in my old age. I forgot about the $200 deposit! The total price was $9,388.00 Still not bad, though.
You'd think I would have remembered since I loaned my friend the $ for a few weeks.
It was the cashier's check I had made out for $9,188 that stuck in my mind. Sorry about that! I hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up!
Wow, that would be great! In Florida that would represent a price of approximately $8600 on the bike with no freight, assembly, or dealer admin fee.

Best price I've seen here is $8800 on a used bike with 156 miles.
 
Thread starter
When I bought my 2013 Suzuki TU250X from Bartlesville Cycle Sports, I paid almost $1000 less than 6 other dealers I found that quoted prices on new 2012 models.(!) I thought I could save some $ by buying a 2012 but Bartlesville beat their prices big time on a 2013. (and that is for a bike that has a MRSP of $4399 before shipping/prep!)
 
What is the sales tax % in Oklahoma and how much are plate fees there? This has a huge impact on OTD prices. In sales tax alone a dealer in a 10% sales tax state is at a big disadvantage to a dealer in Montana where there is no sales tax.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Chip,
In Oklahoma there is no sales tax on a Vehicle. An excize tax and registration/tag fee is charged when registering the vehicle. If you buy a vehicle here but live in another state, you pay whatever your state requires in your state for registration but you pay no tax/tag fee here. I called the tag agent to confirm this.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Chip,
In Oklahoma there is no sales tax on a Vehicle. An excize tax and registration/tag fee is charged when registering the vehicle. If you buy a vehicle here but live in another state, you pay whatever your state requires in your state for registration but you pay no tax/tag fee here. I called the tag agent to confirm this.
That is great information. No sales tax would make Oklahoma a great place to buy any car or bike for anyone close enough to make the drive.

Chip
 
I paid $11k OTD. Lowest price I was able to find in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. Granted, Californian's have to buy the CB11 in-state because of crazy emissions requirements. CB11s sold in other states are different and can't be registered here. That limits our supply and drives the price up.
 
Joola_imp said:
I paid $11k OTD. Lowest price I was able to find in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. Granted, Californian's have to buy the CB11 in-state because of crazy emissions requirements. CB11s sold in other states are different and can't be registered here. That limits our supply and drives the price up.
However, I presume you got the best deal in CA given the restrictions there .....
 
Joola_imp said:
I paid $11k OTD. Lowest price I was able to find in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. Granted, Californian's have to buy the CB11 in-state because of crazy emissions requirements. CB11s sold in other states are different and can't be registered here. That limits our supply and drives the price up.
Are you sure? I think it's a 50 state bike actually.

But even if you could buy it in another state, when you try to register it in California you'd have to pay sales tax on it, and I don't think you can buy a vehicle less than some thousands of miles out of state and then bring it in.. I don't remember exactly, but they are picky about it.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
I paid $11k OTD. Lowest price I was able to find in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. Granted, Californian's have to buy the CB11 in-state because of crazy emissions requirements. CB11s sold in other states are different and can't be registered here. That limits our supply and drives the price up.
Are you sure? I think it's a 50 state bike actually.

But even if you could buy it in another state, when you try to register it in California you'd have to pay sales tax on it, and I don't think you can buy a vehicle less than some thousands of miles out of state and then bring it in.. I don't remember exactly, but they are picky about it.
The CB1100 is not a 50 state bike according to the Honda website. Their specifications page states "Meets current EPA standards. California version meets current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment."
Source (emissions)

Any vehicle with 7500+ miles is no longer considered new and can be registered in CA.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
Chip,
In Oklahoma there is no sales tax on a Vehicle. An excize tax and registration/tag fee is charged when registering the vehicle. If you buy a vehicle here but live in another state, you pay whatever your state requires in your state for registration but you pay no tax/tag fee here. I called the tag agent to confirm this.
That is great information. No sales tax would make Oklahoma a great place to buy any car or bike for anyone close enough to make the drive.

Chip
That is great information. No sales tax would make Oklahoma a great place to buy any car or bike for anyone close enough to make the drive.

Chip
I am by no means a tax expert but I purchased my bike in MD. I live in VA. Because I was out of state, I was not charged sales tax on the purchase of my bike in MD. When I went to register my bike in VA, the DMV collected 3% sales tax on the purchase price of the bike. I expected this as this was the second bike I have purchased this way in the past two years. I think one way or the other, the tax man is going to get you.
 
Thread starter
If you are going to buy a bike in another state, you had better check with your state's DMV first so you will know what to expect. Every state has their own regs. I was surprized to find out how different Texas is from Oklahoma.
 
Ive bought several bikes out of state and I don't pay any tax regardless of the rules in that state.
However I still pay sales tax required in my state and county when I register the bike.

Sales tax is figured by your address not where the bike is purchased.

I bought the CB in state and I paid about $9800 otd including state tax. We don't pay registration at the dealership, I had to pay a bit more for county tax and registration when I got my plate.

I generally don't like to include taxes or registration when quoting a price because everybody has to pay something different and it doesn't give you a fair comparison of the actual price of the bike.
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Ive bought several bikes out of state and I don't pay any tax regardless of the rules in that state.
However I still pay sales tax required in my state and county when I register the bike.

Sales tax is figured by your address not where the bike is purchased.

I bought the CB in state and I paid about $9800 otd including state tax. We don't pay registration at the dealership, I had to pay a bit more for county tax and registration when I got my plate.

I generally don't like to include taxes or registration when quoting a price because everybody has to pay something different and it doesn't give you a fair comparison of the actual price of the bike.
Taxrate indicates CO state sales tax is 2.9% so you paid roughly $9500+ for the bike and slightly < $300 in state tax?
 
Thread starter
I live in Oklahoma. I bought a motorcycle in Texas a few years ago and paid no tax because of my Oklahoma residence. A few months ago I bought a sidecar from a dealer in Ft. Worth and I did have to pay sales tax even though I lived in Oklahoma.

I had to pay tax in Oklahoma on the bike but I didn't have to pay tax in Oklahoma on the sidecar. I know it's normal but it still seems weird to me. They've got it figured out. As greedy as governments are, it puzzles me that they don't get you coming AND going!
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
I live in Oklahoma. I bought a motorcycle in Texas a few years ago and paid no tax because of my Oklahoma residence. A few months ago I bought a sidecar from a dealer in Ft. Worth and I did have to pay sales tax even though I lived in Oklahoma.

I had to pay tax in Oklahoma on the bike but I didn't have to pay tax in Oklahoma on the sidecar. I know it's normal but it still seems weird to me. They've got it figured out. As greedy as governments are, it puzzles me that they don't get you coming AND going!
The side car is not registered vehicle, I'd say that's a different category. If you would have had the side car delivered you would not have had to pay sales tax
 
maybe that's why some prices seem so low here, their OTD price does not include tax, registration, etc. My price in Del. includes all that when I say OTD, $10, 800.00...maybe we should clarify in say ITGD. ( In The Garage Door)
 
Back
Top