Good Deal on 2013?

I am somewhat familiar with a certain dealer cost on another brand. One that I know of- on a $17,800 bike, the dealer cost is approx. $15,500-$15,700.

So, the MSRP of that 2013 CB1100 was $9,999. I can't see the dealer cost in reality being less than $8000.
This is very estimated and doesn't take into consideration factors like seasonal price differences, factory to dealer incentives, deals, and rebates, etc.

As you know, some dealers throw out a low price, then add two fees of between $100-$250 EACH...such as documentation fees, then there may also be a delivery fee. And they will then try to make more money on you in extended warranties and financing rates. Accessories also are profitable for them and generally have a 50% markup. When I was looking for a CB, before I drove to the dealers I asked them what other fees there may be in addition to their selling price. I found a dealer with a reasonable asking price and lowish documentation fees, and negotiated back and forth, chipping away at the price and the added fee, arriving at a final "OTD" price plus state tax.
 
I think the dealers get really good deals on leftover stuff, though. Especially since they are competing with used bikes. IIRC, I saw a used '13 CB - with 845 miles on the clock - at $7,699 last Saturday.
 
There is a brand new '13 ABS model for sale new for $9,999+ and a '14 standard non-ABS for $9,999+ here at the Beaverton store. Prices are being held high around here. Hillsboro motorsports where I and Guth bought have a new non ABS '13 for $7,999 + fees.
 
specialist8_imp said:
Hey guys,

Completely new to this forum (just signed up today). I am looking to buy a 2013 CB1100. I live in Chicago and have been scoping out this model for the past few weeks. There's a dealership about 60mi way from me that is selling the 2013 NON-ABS version for 7k. I was a little surprised at the price because everything in or near Chicago is more expensive than most places. The bike is brand new, never ridden. Is this something I should probably jump on? Thanks for any input, it'd be greatly appreciated as this would be my first brand new bike purchase.

Currently sitting on a 79 CB750-F. Amazing bike for it's age but the unreliability of it has made me set on getting a brand new bike as I've had too many problems with mine related to the carbs. It's posted on CL with a few bites. Should be able to sell it in a few weeks hopefully! I live in Chicago and don't own a car, however having a motorcycle in the city has many advantages when it's not so cold/snowy/wet. Plan on being 'that guy' that rides when most would stow their bike away for 5 months of the year that Chicago weather usually demands. 26 y/o but my Dad has always been insistent on the reliability of a Honda and he himself has a '95GL1500SE Goldwing with sidecar.
HI Specialist8. I am the resident shopaholic and just bought a used 13.
7K is the best price I have heard of on a new 13 with warranty ect... As classicvw said you have to watch BS fees ect after the fact. I had a knock down drag out with a dealer over this for 2 weeks before they finally caved in. I refused to give in one cent over principal and I was so pissed I had to get counseling and advice from the forum members here. :@

7K is and excellent price. The advice I got was to get the out the door price because that is all that matters. I dont know what Illinois state tax is but you can add that along with tags and title. Make them break it down for you then give it some thought.
 
specialist8: G'day and welcome to the forum. Good to know you're thinking of joining us. However, in the interests of full disclosure, I do feel the need to advise you that at least one member of this forum asserts that the CB750 is a vastly superior machine. See this post and the following discussion.

I can't help with the price. If my comrades in the States reckon it's good, it probably is. I can tell you it's a good bike. 29,000 kms on mine and still loving it.

Warning: for at least part of this post, the author's tongue was wedged firmly in his cheek.
 
Thread starter
Welcome, Specialist8. Good luck on your search. I think that 7k is a good price, but it's all about the Out The Door price. Since there are several dealers in the area, I would get OTD prices from at least two places before making your final decision. if one of those places happens to be Des Plaines Honda, send me a PM and I'll tell you who you should talk to there.

Matt
 
Guys, THANKS so much for all the input. I'm feeling very confident about this pricing now. I'm actually looking at Willy World Cycles in Joliet for this bike. Des Plaines listed theirs as $8k though. Unless Willy World really adds a ton for all the surcharges, I'll definitely consider DP and shoot you a message.

I love my 750, but the carb issues combined with my lack of mechanical prowess are just not a good combination. 35 year old bike though and I have a buyer that's eager to see it Friday. Asking $1400 for it, so can't complain.
 
Unless its a hunk of junk, you are probably a grand low on your 79 750 F
 
Thread starter
List, schmist. Call Zach at DP Honda and tell him that Matt said to give you a great price. Not sure what that will do for you, but I'd be interested in his reaction. LOL. Good luck with your purchase. :)
 
So I go and try and start my motorcycle this morning as the buyer will be/hopefully showing up today. And it just can't start. The electric works, and I even used starting fluid on the air filter but it's around 25 degrees here today. Any tips on getting this bike started? It's a working bike and I just rode it two weeks ago, but need a heads up on starting tips for a 79 CB750-F. Thanks guys.

EmptySea, I'll throw your name out there just for kicks. Can't hurt right?
 
Having lived in Upstate NY for 22 years I always had an 1500 watts electric heater facing the engine of my bikes for 45-60 minutes in the winter.(bikes were inside unheated garage)
The bikes always started first time (including CBX,s)
The oil is nice and warm and the gas ignites a lot better, less wear on the engine and you can drink your coffee and get dressed when the bike is warming up.
An heater with a blower is best one for this , do not put it too CLOSE !
 
EmptySea_imp said:
List, schmist. Call Zach at DP Honda and tell him that Matt said to give you a great price. Not sure what that will do for you, but I'd be interested in his reaction. LOL. Good luck with your purchase. :)
Hey there EmptySea,

I'm going to bite the bullet soon and visit DP Honda. They've got the CB1100 there for $7k listed. Should I still consult Zach and see about that discount? Prepared to buy very soon as well.

Thanks bud. Hope you're doing well.
 
Thread starter
LOL...no, you shouldn't call Zach. He's a good guy, but has moved on to (hopefully) greener pastures. Mike is the manager there, but there's another guy who I like a lot, but I can't recall his name right at the moment. I'll think of it soon, I'm sure, then I will post it here. PM me if you have more detailed questions about the dealership, but I'll tell you one thing is true for Des Plaines Honda that is true for every dealer out there (and nearly every private seller)...they want to make some money (shock!). So get your best out the door price from them before you get emotionally attached to this great bike. Oh...and in my opinion, the VIP package they sell is worth it unless you turn your own wrenches.

Good luck and I'll try to get back to you today with the guy's name...dang it's tough gettin old.
 
Thread starter
I think Specialist may have ventured over to our local Honda dealer today. Here's hoping that we will have a new Chicago CB1100 rider among us soon.
 
On the train now to make a deal. I got the B.O.S. faxed to me though and theres a $310 "other" fee. Think i can talk em outta it? They already got me for the setup, documentation.
$8985 OTD though.
 
Unless there's what you would agree was a good explanation, tell them you're walking out and head for the door. See if they follow you. If they dont, it's their loss.
 
Thread starter
I don't know what the "other" fee is...but yes, I think you can talk them out of it, especially if you're willing to walk away from the deal. Incidentally, I don't comment on whether it's a good deal or a bad deal, because it's like buying art...you're buying it because you love it and if it is a good deal to you, then it's a good deal.

I hope it works out for you. If so, I think we're planning another CB1100Forum -Chicagoland Chapter meeting in the spring and you're more than welcome to join us.
 
Back
Top