Good article comparing the CB with the BMW R nine T Pure

Capo_imp said:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no shaft drive race, or true high performance motorcycles. There are ample benefits and drawbacks to each.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K1300S would qualify in my book, but your point is well taken.
 
Good review.
I agree on the "almost like a cruiser" feel

Riding stance is the same as the DLX and my Vulcan vaquero. "


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Why are you guys lubing an o-ring chain?

All the lube you need is already sealed inside the rollers.

IMO- at best you are simply keeping cosmetic rust away. At worse you are adding a sticky substance that will attract dirt and therefore friction and wear/tear on the mating surfaces.
 
Capo_imp said:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no shaft drive race, or true high performance motorcycles. There are ample benefits and drawbacks to each.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About as close as you get to a high performance shaft bike. I have a R1100S. I would call it more a sport touring bike, but it is styled more toward sport.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Why are you guys lubing an o-ring chain?

All the lube you need is already sealed inside the rollers.

IMO- at best you are simply keeping cosmetic rust away. At worse you are adding a sticky substance that will attract dirt and therefore friction and wear/tear on the mating surfaces.
Not all of it.

Chain needs lubrication at two points:

First, at the contact of links and rollers. On modern chains this is indeed already sealed inside the rollers.

Second, at the contact of the outside surface of the rollers and sprocket teeth. This lubrication must occasionally be re-applied, or both the chain and the sprockets will wear out and will have to be replaced more often than necessary.
 
Got me? I use my clutch every shift up or down.
 
Guzzi has raced in the Big Twins (I think, I forget the section it raced under - and won it one year). Which segways into this: comparing the R9T to the Moto Guzzi Griso would have made more sense. Not the CB1100. Apples and Oranges.

Back to racing, people would ask about the shaft vs. chain, figuring the chain had the advantage. The Guzzi racing team said that the chain had the advantage early in the race (this was in the 90's I think) but wore and lost effeciency while the shaft remained constant. Not sure that would remain true today.

Full disclosure; I own a Griso and the CB.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Got me? I use my clutch every shift up or down.
I use the clutch on all down shifts but only on 1st to 2nd on upshifts. With the Honda trany, there is little need for the rest. I'm sure I could eliminate the 1st to 2nd as well, with better coordination!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
spacetiger_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no shaft drive race, or true high performance motorcycles. There are ample benefits and drawbacks to each.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About as close as you get to a high performance shaft bike. I have a R1100S. I would call it more a sport touring bike, but it is styled more toward sport.

About as close as you get to a high performance shaft bike. I have a R1100S. I would call it more a sport touring bike, but it is styled more toward sport.

Yes, close. There are examples of taking oddball engine configs and drive trains and layering performance goodies to make them sport- ish. I've ridden a friends and it is cool. But an unusual outlier, and even BMW has gone to chains for their S1000RR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaSwami_imp said:
Looking at the article, why would you want to do a "clutchless upshift"??

Once you use a quick shifter, it's intoxicatingly fun and the propulsion it provides makes for a nice sensation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It is done with electronics, up and down quick shifters blip the throttle for rev matching. No harm at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You don't need electronic wizardry to do clutchless upshifts that don't harm the transmission, just a bit of foot and throttle work.

Other than 1-2 upshifts, which are best done with the clutch as Retsel mentioned, 2-5 or 2-6 can be done clutchlessly.

Procedure:
[li]Prior to shifting, apply upward foot pressure on shift lever, as you would normally for a clean shift with clutch.[/li] [li]Maintaining upward foot pressure on shift lever, reduce throttle and quickly pull lever up smartly with your foot. Gear will change instantly.[/li] [li]Immediately / simultaneously resume throttle.[/li] [li]Repeat for remaining upshifts.
[/li]
If you are slow or awkward with your throttle work, the bike will lurch as you interrupt power; but unless you are terribly sloppy, the transmission will not be harmed.

I do this very often on my CBR250R while group riding with more powerful bikes. With only 23 HP on tap at max throttle, I minimize any time wasted shifting in order to keep accelerating under power almost continuously.
 
Back
Top