Gogoro Electric Scooter with swappable battery

Pretty cool, but there is no way I’m paying a monthly fee for battery swap access. I would want my own batteries I could charge myself. YMMV
 
Pretty cool. Video was about useless.
 
Not surprised this is available. Applying the idea of swappable batteries to automobiles has been ongoing problematic.

Yes, the video is really an insult to anyone with some intelligence.
 
I think the battery subscription concept makes good sense.

Nissan brought two Leaf electric cars to my workplace this past week to pitch their virtues and offer test drives. The salespitch mostly revolved around reducing CO2 emissions and cost per mile economy. I drove one of the cars and felt it was a decent and comfortable $18k sedan, but with a $43k price tag. Not for me, thanks.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I think the battery subscription concept makes good sense.

Nissan brought two Leaf electric cars to my workplace this past week to pitch their virtues and offer test drives. The salespitch mostly revolved around reducing CO2 emissions and cost per mile economy. I drove one of the cars and felt it was a decent and comfortable $18k sedan, but with a $43k price tag. Not for me, thanks.
Even with the tax credit, not viable. I think the key to having an affordable electric is to buy it as late model used car. That knocks off a very large amount of depreciation. There's a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt on autotrader.com with 8,570 miles for $25,950.

Re: Gogoro, I'd like to know if it can do a burnout using peak electric torque from a standstill. Re: the video, it's directed at the adult children in their 20s and 30s who are the target market. Have you ever stayed in a Hilton Tru? Get ready for the culture shock of adult kindergarten.


 
RE: Hilton Tru

Seems to be the current trend for many main stream 2.5+ star hotel chains. Marriott has offerings, and similar to Hilton, Holiday Inn Express has significantly raised the bar.
 
Hilton Tru is specifically designed to appeal to Millennials. It's less expensive for starters. The room is sparse, with nowhere to sit but at the small desk. It's like a European hotel room, but less complete. There's limited closet space and no drawer space. No complimentary soaps and shampoo other than the communal squeeze bottles. Stingy towel allotment. The idea is that you will prefer to spend time hanging out in the public spaces in the lobby vs. in your uninviting and spartan room.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Hilton Tru is specifically designed to appeal to Millennials. It's less expensive for starters. The room is sparse, with nowhere to sit but at the small desk. It's like a European hotel room, but less complete. There's limited closet space and no drawer space. No complimentary soaps and shampoo other than the communal squeeze bottles. Stingy towel allotment. The idea is that you will prefer to spend time hanging out in the public spaces in the lobby vs. in your uninviting and spartan room.
Okay, stingy towel allotment hurts. Do Millennials shower less often? I smell daily examples of that possibility - or they don't wash their clothes (or both)?

Communal squeeze bottles (locked down) seems to be the new normal as the planet steps away from throw-away plastics.

I can understand no drawers as I find many don't use them since most stays are one night.
 
Stichill, do those exist or only in artists renderings?
 
Wow. I have never seen one. If I were traveling on my own and they were like $30 a night I could stay there for a night. I'm small, don't need much room :D
 
They’d work for me too if they were cheap. :D
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Hilton Tru is specifically designed to appeal to Millennials. It's less expensive for starters. The room is sparse, with nowhere to sit but at the small desk. It's like a European hotel room, but less complete. There's limited closet space and no drawer space. No complimentary soaps and shampoo other than the communal squeeze bottles. Stingy towel allotment. The idea is that you will prefer to spend time hanging out in the public spaces in the lobby vs. in your uninviting and spartan room.
Okay, stingy towel allotment hurts. Do Millennials shower less often? I smell daily examples of that possibility - or they don't wash their clothes (or both)?

Communal squeeze bottles (locked down) seems to be the new normal as the planet steps away from throw-away plastics.

I can understand no drawers as I find many don't use them since most stays are one night.
Just being "green", and saving some green ($) on laundry expenses to boot.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Hilton Tru is specifically designed to appeal to Millennials. It's less expensive for starters. The room is sparse, with nowhere to sit but at the small desk. It's like a European hotel room, but less complete. There's limited closet space and no drawer space. No complimentary soaps and shampoo other than the communal squeeze bottles. Stingy towel allotment. The idea is that you will prefer to spend time hanging out in the public spaces in the lobby vs. in your uninviting and spartan room.
Okay, stingy towel allotment hurts. Do Millennials shower less often? I smell daily examples of that possibility - or they don't wash their clothes (or both)?

Communal squeeze bottles (locked down) seems to be the new normal as the planet steps away from throw-away plastics.

I can understand no drawers as I find many don't use them since most stays are one night.
And as hotels step away from the cost of individual toiletries. I just read an article that was basically complaining that many "green" initiatives by corporations aren't morally virtuous because they happen to result in cost savings. I thought there goes Immanuel Kant's horrible influence on western culture again, i.e. an action is only virtuous when it does not benefit the actor (selfless) and is maximally virtuous when it actually goes against the interests of the actor (self-sacrificial). I found the critique surprising because the profit motive powerfully drives the search for cost savings. Cost savings come from the elimination of waste: wasted materials, wasted transportation, wasted energy, wasted space, etc. The perfectly efficient process produces only the intended output and nothing else.

The ferret_imp said:
Stichill, do those exist or only in artists renderings?
The one we stayed at was in Richmond, Kentucky. I had no problem with the European vibe of the room, but they missed the mark. It was just way too stripped-down for our taste. There was no carpet, the better to facilitate faster cleaning, but the result was a very "live' and noisy room acoustically. We could hear everything happening in the adjacent rooms and in the hallway. Plus the air conditioner was noisily grinding away all night. We totally hated it! :dodgy:
The ferret_imp said:
A room with a king is a little less than $100 / night at the Richmond, KY location.
 
Stayed at a new "2.5 star" Holiday Inn Express in Elizabethtown, KY that behaved more like a 4 to 5 star. The room in particular was stellar, large, modern, bright, quiet, fresh, crisp, clean, very large LG TV, very wide and tall windows with a total privacy view with and without the electric blinds drawn. Full connectivity, recharge facilities, personal and pleasure amenities, a very quiet A/C (go figure!!), a massive and crisp washroom with an entrance sliding pull barn door, etc. etc. Beds were firm, quiet and fresh. Towels were big, plush and brilliant. No throw-away consumables - well not true, they had one of those wasteful Keurig coffee pod machines which I did not use. I just filled up with coffee downstairs in the cafeteria (better tasting). The common facilities included a gym, pool, and pretty decent patio that spanned the length of the hotel and had three outdoor fireplaces.

All for a buck 44 U.S. (including breakfast) all in.

Anyway, really exceeded my expectations.
 
Lol I think i've paid $39 a night ( in a little town in Texas) and I've paid $300 a night ( in Glacier Natl Park.) The one in Glacier was the worst, but had the best view

I usually stay at a Quality inn, or Comfort inn or Red Roof Inn for around $ 79 -99 a night, but every once in awhile will hit a Holiday Inn Expess for $ 120. I dont like spending more than that for a few hours of sleep and watching a little TV in the room. When touring I'm usually pretty beat from a day on the road and all I want is a little food and a little sleep so I can repeat the next day
 
Ok, I just worked for like, 15 hours in the hot sun at a race track. I'm tired, sweaty and cranky, and I shamble back into that lobby at 10 pm. That's way too many bright colors to hit me with.

But, when I do travel on my own dime, particularly taking motorcycle trips, I tend to stay as cheap as I can, which means Motel 6. I've noticed that a lot of them have morphed into that kind of fun, cheap atmosphere - the rooms have plywood and orange modular fixtures.
 
Back
Top