Go Pro question.

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I got a Go Pro for Christmas and tried it out this past weekend on the KLR. I mounted it to the handle bar and because of the bike vibration through the bars, the end result was quite shaky and wavy. I'm thinking that a chest mount or helmet mount would work better. I know a few of you have used these before on your helmet. How did you mount it? With adhesive? Did you tether it just in case it fell off? What about the chest mount? Thoughts?
 
Wow, that thing must really shake a lot. I mounted mine to the bars with no issues like that at all.

I know some guys use the sticky mount on the helmet like this:

ec402e22a6ac4a74bdadf1e88500b418.jpg


Or this:

2f6c9fdb96513b2d740a3a44e3b7343f.jpg


They do sell a harness whereby you can mount it to your chest if you feel that would be better.

1f9045edd630cb7636431acdc5609dde.jpg
 
Thread starter
I actually think the bike is fairly smooth, but maybe not. I'll try it on the CB this weekend to see if there's a difference. Thanks for the photos and ideas.
 
the camera actually came loose from the mount (not the mount from the helmet) on my way home yesterday.

 
Nice looking outfit you have on DJS..very noticeable. What mitt covers are those again?
 
I mounted my camera with the curved adhesive mount. I don't use a tether. It's been on there for a couple years, so I guess it sticks pretty good. It looks a little funny sitting on top there, but I can't see it when I'm riding. When mounted to your helmet, the camera sees what you see. With the chest mount, it's pretty much straight ahead.
7ca981a76106fe11f5e5a85f3b923253.jpeg


Helmet mount
8043eb2dd50867f421aba54522ab2457.jpeg


Chest mount
a8642e0e16576995a05917907e6db553.jpeg
 
I have a GoPro which comes with the flat and curved adhesive mounts. I also purchased the chest harness. At the time I had only one helmet (HJC CL17) and the only option for mounting where there was full contact of the curved adhesive mount was on top of the helmet.

Observations:

top of the helmet mounting

1) I move my head from side to side quite frequently so I found this movement was distracting in the videos.
2) When banking in corners, I tend to try to keep my head level (odd, huh?) so the video didn't give the cool banking effect of riding a motorcycle.
3) I felt weird having the camera mounted on top of the helmet.
4) It was difficult to turn the camera on and off while riding or at stop lights because you are working "blind".

chest mount

1) I like the angle of the video better and the chest mount video reflected the angle of the bike through turns in a much more pleasing way to me.
2) Easier for me to turn the camera on and off but still not easy because while riding and at stop lights it's a "blind" process with a full face helmet on.
3) Less conspicuous than the helmet mount.

I would like to try a handle bar mount at some point for ease of taking stills and turning the camera on and off but I am worried about vibration.
 
I borrowed my brother's GoPro and chest mount last Summer and shot some decent video. I had the camera angled a bit too low, however, and if I do it again, I'll be sure to get less of the instrument cluster and more of the road ahead.

My own camera is a Drift Stealth 2 that I wear on my helmet with the supplied adhesive mounts. They are VERY secure and I have no worries of losing the camera. But my favorite mounting location has become my left side engine guard. It's fun experimenting with the various angles.


 
DJS' pid='117960' dateline='1452002534 said:
mine is not a go pro, but it is mounted to my flip front helmet.
i used velcro that came with the NY easypass to attache the mount to the helmet.
it is tethered to the helmet with a safety pin.



Am I the only one who cringed at seeing a safety pin installed right next to the where the rider's throat would be?? Murphy's Law started ringing out in my head when I saw that... I hope that arrangement never causes you regrets! Ride safe! - KvdV
 
Splendid, metallyguitarded. There's a lot going on in that video. There's the lovely view of a lovely road; then there's the fascination of watching for the moment when the speed of the bike means the wheel spokes appear to stand still; then there's the curious phenomenon of the possible apparent extra hole in the right hand disk; then there's the suspense of whether the sniffer dog will twig to you. Yet it pales into insignificance when you watch the video again and catch glimpses of the shadowy figure in the mirror of the front fender. Who was that masked man?

Nice work.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Splendid, metallyguitarded. There's a lot going on in that video. There's the lovely view of a lovely road; then there's the fascination of watching for the moment when the speed of the bike means the wheel spokes appear to stand still; then there's the curious phenomenon of the possible apparent extra hole in the right hand disk; then there's the suspense of whether the sniffer dog will twig to you. Yet it pales into insignificance when you watch the video again and catch glimpses of the shadowy figure in the mirror of the front fender. Who was that masked man?

Nice work.
You are always one to find deeper meaning in the seemingly mundane. An impressive talent. I'm glad to see that my effort to pick up where Kubrick left off has not gone unnoticed.
 
Riko_imp said:
What do you think of my mounting option? :)



Now thats First Person View huh.

FYI thats a Polaroid Cube Plus, its only 35mm x 35mm x 35mm and has a strong magnet at the bottom so you could just put it against your swing arm, tank, etc...

But for now I will use it inside my helmet :)
A whole DIY thread was made: forget GoPro, this is the best FPV set up for a motorcycle! :)
That is a bad idea. If you go down that is going to most likely knock out a few teeth at best.
 
if the crash is so hard that the cam cube manages to knock out teeth, surely the impact of a crash that hard would have me killed already, despite the cam.
 
r870621345s_imp said:
I mounted my camera with the curved adhesive mount. I don't use a tether. It's been on there for a couple years, so I guess it sticks pretty good. It looks a little funny sitting on top there, but I can't see it when I'm riding. When mounted to your helmet, the camera sees what you see. With the chest mount, it's pretty much straight ahead.
7ca981a76106fe11f5e5a85f3b923253.jpeg


Helmet mount
8043eb2dd50867f421aba54522ab2457.jpeg


Chest mount
a8642e0e16576995a05917907e6db553.jpeg
Thanks for posting the views. I like the chest view.
 
Riko_imp said:
if the crash is so hard that the cam cube manages to knock out teeth, surely the impact of a crash that hard would have me killed already, despite the cam.
Not just the teeth, I wouldn't want it so close to my eye either.
With all the mounting options available, why take unnecessary chances?
 
Back
Top