Givi Box Size For CB1100?

widude

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello, I have the Givi rear rack in the pipeline, next in line with be a rear, top mounted luggage case/box.

I'm thinking about the 'Monokey' box from Givi, just looking at sizes. I may also include a backrest for the box, for the occasional passenger.

They have the 33 liter size that fits about one helmet, about 16" wide I think. In the past I would just use a backpack if I wanted to pick up a few items. I'm not really looking to pack up and hit the road with this. It's more for going to pick up a few oil filters, or other smaller items. I don't want an out of per portion larger box than needed.

For medium use, is that about the right size for the CB? I'm not home now but could do some measurements to see how sizes stack up. Just asking about others that may use that or a similar box.

Any other directions a guy should go with rear carry? Thanks
 
The Givi I bought is the B37 and it is a good "right" size. I think the Honda box is 35L (too lazy to verify right now) so a 33 would be a good match too.
 
My Givi is 33 or 34 L. Works fine.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, that's what I'm honing in on, the mid 30's liter size. Not really looking to pack for a two week trip, just pick up a few odds and ends around town.

I'd like it to be somewhat matched to the CB, not oversized.
 
Thread starter
Any input on just getting a high quality rear bag, not hard case, for the CB? The SW Motech rear bag reviews well. I probably wouldn't use it much anyway, mostly just shorter runs to pick up stuff.


Just an idea, I strapped a better quality bag we have for the snowmobile today to get some fishing supplies. It worked rather well.
 
Its pretty much whatever you want and what works for you. There are pics all over the board with people using bags. One guy even has a milk crate of all things :)
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I'll just 'bag it' for now. The 'snowmobile bag' fits pretty good. I had liked the idea of the backrest with the Givi box, but I'm unlikely to carry many passengers.

At least I have my windshield already, I'm kinda a windshield guy when it comes to street bikes.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
Any input on just getting a high quality rear bag, not hard case, for the CB? The SW Motech rear bag reviews well. I probably wouldn't use it much anyway, mostly just shorter runs to pick up stuff.


Just an idea, I strapped a better quality bag we have for the snowmobile today to get some fishing supplies. It worked rather well.
I've been on the fence. I'm not a fan of the way top boxes look, but occasionally I need something better than a backpack (try putting your carry out rib meal in a backpack :s ). I'm looking for something that I can just pop on the rack when I need it.

Ride4now posted this pic of his hard sided Dowco Iron Rider, which I really like :

9ac0f5b0755e67a637ee79f38fca2d6e.jpg


Ghis posted his Rubbermaid solution, which I also like :

49df29d87b8b5e3fda9cf4c1579d0b10.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks, good info. I just put the Dowco iron rider on my Amazon wish list, just in case.
 
That Iron Rider looks good. Maybe I should have gone that way. Oh well, I'm happy. :)
 
Thread starter
Another question, right now I'm just doing my temporary bag, strapped to the rear of my seat. With a box or larger bag it seems you would be hitting it all the time as you swung your leg to get on?

For those with a large bag or Givi type luggage, is it a pain getting on? I suppose one gets used to it, just seems initially one would be hitting it some.
 
Besides my box on the Honda rack, I have a Cortech bag on the passenger seat. I feel like I'm getting on a horse, but I like having them so I can live with it. :)
 
sourdough44_imp said:
Another question, right now I'm just doing my temporary bag, strapped to the rear of my seat. With a box or larger bag it seems you would be hitting it all the time as you swung your leg to get on?

For those with a large bag or Givi type luggage, is it a pain getting on? I suppose one gets used to it, just seems initially one would be hitting it some.
I get the same issue with the tall backrest on my CB750. You have to bend your knee a bit more when getting on and off so that your foot passes in front. Not a huge deal. You get used to it.

My problem is that i occasionally forget which bike I'm riding. The CB11 just has a rack with a low grab bar, so I can swing my leg over it. If I try that when dismounting the CB750 my leg gets caught on the backrest and I have to hope no one is watching. :blush:
 
I have no trouble getting on and off the bike with the top box mounted. If I'm touring and have a duffel bag strapped on in font of it, I have to mount by putting my left foot on the peg and swinging my right leg over the top. Like being a kid and swinging a leg over the bar of the bicycle as you get it moving. Must look ridiculous.

Last year I went on a ride with Pterodactyl and another bloke on a Triumph ST. The bloke on the a Triumph had so much gear aboard that he had to perform this weird hop-step to get his leg through the gap between luggage and tank.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I have no trouble getting on and off the bike with the top box mounted. If I'm touring and have a duffel bag strapped on in font of it, I have to mount by putting my left foot on the peg and swinging my right leg over the top. Like being a kid and swinging a leg over the bar of the bicycle as you get it moving. Must look ridiculous.

Last year I went on a ride with Pterodactyl and another bloke on a Triumph ST. The bloke on the a Triumph had so much gear aboard that he had to perform this weird hop-step to get his leg through the gap between luggage and tank.
That's how I do it when loaded for travel.
 
Yep. When loaded like this, the procedure is as follows :

1. Face the left side of the bike.
2. Kick your right leg up like a Rockette...
3. While hopping toward the bike on your left leg.

The kick and hop have to be coordinated just right, or you'll just end up looking silly. :)

276f876d6edf1bc47a9ca16607024b67.jpg
 
What do you mean--end up looking silly :P

That's how I do it by the way :D
 
Or if you kick too low you either bounce off backwards or kick the bike over on it's right side... Then you look silly
 
Back
Top