Getting rid of the ugly license plate bracket.

Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Finally got around to performing the Chip Beck License Plate Mod....sort of. Still need to get a minimalist frame and I will need to replace the bolts as the hardware store didn't have what I wanted.

The bike Ned's a wash and I didn't bother to pull it out so the pictures aren't the best, but it looks great to me in person. Thanks for the idea and the instructions, Chip!
1789690b4719754061c59abe8c8b2e95.jpg

e6f0cd18868cf4636857604ce6dead07.jpg
You bet!! :beerchug:

Chip
 
Per popgun I picked up some 'Elevator Bolts' from Lowes.

Don't make the same mistakes that I did, first I drilled out the holes in my bracket to accommodate the square part of the bolt. Then I discovered that the square part of the bolt won't go through the stock bushings. So I ended up poor man's lathing (drill and file) the square part off the bolts. Now my bracket has huge holes in it and I'll have to make a new one. Overall the elevator bolts work well, especially if you are using thinker material for your bracket. I thought about drilling out the stock bushings, but I like to leave stock pieces unmodified.

 
LOL, that poor man's lathing is what I do in my garage :D

But don't blame me :) I only looked up what elevator bolts are. Someone else suggested them. Blame that guy!:hello:
 
Well, my " Chip Beck ugly lic plate bracket removal job" is done. I even left off my helmet guardian to help clean up the rear end. Think I will look for a black frame like Chip has then remove everything again and paint the new bracket and the back of the license plate satin black to match the tail light assy, then reinstall. Thanks again to Chip for all his help and generosity in this mod. :thumbsup:



Now, to try and get the front reflectors off. Wonder where I stored my hair dryer? :rofl:

Found the hair dyer. Man those front reflectors were tenacious. All parts now safely stored in CB1100 stock parts box.



.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well, my " Chip Beck ugly lic plate bracket removal job" is done. I even left off my helmet guardian to help clean up the rear end. Think I will look for a black frame like Chip has then remove everything again and paint the new bracket and the back of the license plate satin black to match the tail light assy, then reinstall. Thanks again to Chip for all his help and generosity in this mod. :thumbsup:



Now, to try and get the front reflectors off. Wonder where I stored my hair dryer? :rofl:

Found the hair dyer. Man those front reflectors were tenacious. All parts now safely stored in CB1100 stock parts box.



.

Mickey,

That looks so much better. Getting rid of that huge license plate bracket is my RLET. Glad you like it.

Chip
 
I will be doing this mod or a version of it soon. On my roadliner, I used an aftermarket curved plate mount for a Harley Davidson and drilled an extra hole in that. No extra holes in fender. Curved plate mount for $20 instead of $200. Might find a similar option for this no don't want the plate touching the chrome fender. Can't tell by photos if it does, can someone reply with that info?

Thanks!

Oh I noticed Tink bought his bike same place I did. Huntington Beach Honda. Cool!
 
LOL thanks birds..old post, that was April a year ago.
 
ride4now_imp said:
To each his own guys... I actually put the original bracket back on the bike. I couldn't get used to how the mod looked... lol!

You didn't put those tank stickers back on did ya? :rofl:
 
Nah... That's a bit too stock even for me. I've never been one
to modify anything I've owned. I might add things for safety, convenience, or performance, but rarely just to change the appearance. Guess I should have known better to start with.
 
branew_imp said:
Thanks to Chip for his license plate mod inspiration I decided to give it a go.
After inspecting the existing bracket I decided to try and repurpose it. 30 minutes later after a little cutting and painting I was done. Very pleased. Zero Dollars spent.



[url=http://s976.photobucket.com/user/branew1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2790_zps698e6c0d.jpg.html]
Exactly what I did. I just used a hacksaw to saw off the brackets just inside the width of the license plate/frame assembly. Filed the rough edges and then sprayed with some black paint.

Reflectors gone, cleaned it right up, still very strong and functional. KISS principle.
 
ride4now_imp said:
To each his own guys... I actually put the original bracket back on the bike. I couldn't get used to how the mod looked... lol!
I bought this bike BECAUSE of the license plate bracket. CB stands for "Cool Bracket" 1000.
 
After 77 posts haven't you blokes got rid of that ugly licence plate bracket yet? The bracket we got issued with in Australia is a thing of beauty. It's a keeper

Cheers
 
What does look like in Kookaburra land Ptero?
 
Back
Top