Getting rid of the ugly license plate bracket.

ChipBeck_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Gentlemen,

The designers of the CB1100 went to great lengths to make it a beautiful bike that incorporated many features of the early CB's. One of them are the cool chrome fenders. Unfortunately you can't see much of the rear one as it's completely covered by the ridiculously huge license plate bracket that is festooned with 3 reflectors, is far too wide, sticks way out from the fender, and has the license plate hanging down so low you can't even see the bottom of the rear fender. It's like a big wart on the tip of a beautiful girl's nose. I'm sure it satisfy's a lot of regulatory requirements but beauty is not one of them. So I fixed it with a simpler, lighter, and sturdier bracket I built myself and thought I'd post photos for other members who want to give their CB's a better looking butt. First, here's the original bracket.


[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/BF2.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/BF3.jpg.html]

So, down to Home Depot for a strip of 2" wide, 1/8 inch thick aluminum and I cut a 6 1/2 inch piece off of the end. I then filed and sanded all of the edges smooth and sanded the entire surface to give it a brushed finish. After removing the original bracket there are two big round washers with a flat surface that provide a rock solid mounting point for my new compact bracket. Use a 1/4 inch bit to drill the holes and use a much bigger bit to countersink the holes that will attach the plate to the fender so the plate can lay flat against it. I used all stainless steel bolts, washers, and locking nuts so there will never be any corrosion. Drill the top of the plate with 2 non-countersunk 1/4 inch holes to attach the plate to. I tried both chrome and flat black license plate frames and I liked the flat black better but either would look fine. Stainless round Phillips head bolts with acorn nuts and lock washers secure the plate to the new flush mount. NOW....you can see the bottom of the rear fender, the plate is tucked up close to the fender and higher. The taillight illuminates the plate even better than before, the plate is much less obtrusive, and my CB1100 has a much prettier butt. You be the judge.

Total cost, about $10 for the strip of aluminum, $8 for my stainless hardware, $7 for the flat black license plate frame, and about 3 hours of my time. I really like the way it looks now. Cheers.

Chip

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu1.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu2.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu4-1.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu3.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu5.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu6.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu8.jpg.html]
2 more

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu9.jpg.html]
[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Alu7.jpg.html]
 
Very elegant solution. I've been wondering what to do about that bracket. I might give this a try. Thanks for doing the legwork and sharing the process with us.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
I just drilled 2new holes in the license plate and bolted it to where the bracket used to be.
That would certainly work and save a couple hours. My objective was to use a license plate frame with all 4 corner bolts installed and without extra holes drilled in my plate. When I was done I wanted it to look like the bike was built that way originally. So I made the bracket. I did the same thing on my Ducati which had an even worse license plate bracket than the CB. Cheers.

Chip
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Chip - awesome job and I'm going to shamelessly duplicate it!
Good! That's why I put the info and photos up bro. A couple cold beers makes the whole project faster and more fun.

Chip
 
Hmm..didn't think I would like any alterations back there but it looks good. Nice job.

Love the red/chrome tanked Husky in the background!
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
I just drilled 2new holes in the license plate and bolted it to where the bracket used to be.
That would certainly work and save a couple hours. My objective was to use a license plate frame with all 4 corner bolts installed and without extra holes drilled in my plate. When I was done I wanted it to look like the bike was built that way originally. So I made the bracket. I did the same thing on my Ducati which had an even worse license plate bracket than the CB. Cheers.

Chip
That would certainly work and save a couple hours. My objective was to use a license plate frame with all 4 corner bolts installed and without extra holes drilled in my plate. When I was done I wanted it to look like the bike was built that way originally. So I made the bracket. I did the same thing on my Ducati which had an even worse license plate bracket than the CB. Cheers.

Chip after seein yours I might change mine to the more professional look.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
I just drilled 2new holes in the license plate and bolted it to where the bracket used to be.
This can get you a ticket. Modifying the plate in any way is a no-no.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
I just drilled 2new holes in the license plate and bolted it to where the bracket used to be.
This can get you a ticket. Modifying the plate in any way is a no-no.
This can get you a ticket. Modifying the plate in any way is a no-no. In my neck of the woods you wouldn't get pulled over for just that but they'll cite you for it if they stop you for something else.
 
Oh yeah, it's not a primary, but they'll sure tack it on.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Oh yeah, it's not a primary, but they'll sure tack it on.
I remember about 3-4 years ago, the Blount County TN. police dept., supposedly to curtail the shenanigans on The Dragon, had a least 6 LEOs patrolling the TN. side every day. They were giving out tickets like they were candy. One rider got a ticket for having his face shield slightly open. Probably hundreds were for improper plates. Luckily they finally came to their senses and reduced the number of officers when they, IMO, discovered how much it cost to pay overtime to all those officers. Plus, the locals started complaining about the lack of officers everywhere else in the county and the loss of millions of tourist dollars because people weren't coming to that area.
 
Thread starter
Scoobynut_imp said:
Awesome mod, looks great, thanks, Chip. I think the black frame is a nice finishing touch.
Scoobynut,

Yeah. There is a lot of flat black in that area. The bottom part of the tail light and the moulding it mounts to are all flat black. When I put the identical license plate frame in chrome on, it called attention to the license plate. With the flat black one on the plate is less prominent and the shape of the rear fender is what stands out. Thanks for your comment. Now I just need my Staintune exhaust to show up.

Chip
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Cool, you should sell a version of that for a reasonable price and you may some money.
Like $15 plus shipping
Yes, that is a great idea! Whaddya say Chip, any interest in making these for the not so handy?
 
Back
Top