Gentlemen, the eagle has landed!

HikerToo_imp said:
I have noticed deer along side the road back away from my Staintune as I go by where the same deer did not budge as the cars in front of me went by....
I have the opposite story. I had a FMF Carbon exhaust on my SuperDuke, that was quite loud. When I would go down streets with dogs, it would result in the inevitable chase. Now, on my CB, I rarely get a stare, much less a bark or a chase.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
And we can't wait for you to fulfill your dream of owning a CB 1100. Can only hope it's everything you hoped it would be.
Thanks a lot Ferret. I just cant hardly wait and know Im going to like it. Its a big moment in my life. I will try to post pics but I cant promise anything since Im not very good with my i phone. Biggest concern since I have so far to travel is to get home well before dark. Deer that hit me last week scared me pretty bad. Not taking chances on a motorcycle close to dark. I will park it and get a motel room if I have to.
Haven't noticed them for sale anywhere recently, but you used to be able to get a little high frequency whistle that mounted to your bike, car, etc. that supposedly alerted the dear. Much like a dog whistle, they hear it, but you don't. No clue if they work, or not. I bet you could still find one in the good old J. C. Whitney catalog!
Ahhh, the fabled deer whistle :) Many years ago I met a guy in western Montana that owned a salvage yard. He mentioned that about half the cars in his lot were from deer/elk collisions. I asked him about these deer whistles I'd heard about and he smiled an walked me out to the yard. He pointed out over a dozen smashed up deer/elk cars still had a deer whistle firmly attached to the front bumper. He said the whistles were quite popular with the locals, but was never surprised to see one when he was called out to a deer vs. car collision.
 
Wonder if OldF7guy made it home with his new to him CB 1100 ?
 
Flynrider_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
And we can't wait for you to fulfill your dream of owning a CB 1100. Can only hope it's everything you hoped it would be.
Thanks a lot Ferret. I just cant hardly wait and know Im going to like it. Its a big moment in my life. I will try to post pics but I cant promise anything since Im not very good with my i phone. Biggest concern since I have so far to travel is to get home well before dark. Deer that hit me last week scared me pretty bad. Not taking chances on a motorcycle close to dark. I will park it and get a motel room if I have to.
Haven't noticed them for sale anywhere recently, but you used to be able to get a little high frequency whistle that mounted to your bike, car, etc. that supposedly alerted the dear. Much like a dog whistle, they hear it, but you don't. No clue if they work, or not. I bet you could still find one in the good old J. C. Whitney catalog!
Ahhh, the fabled deer whistle :) Many years ago I met a guy in western Montana that owned a salvage yard. He mentioned that about half the cars in his lot were from deer/elk collisions. I asked him about these deer whistles I'd heard about and he smiled an walked me out to the yard. He pointed out over a dozen smashed up deer/elk cars still had a deer whistle firmly attached to the front bumper. He said the whistles were quite popular with the locals, but was never surprised to see one when he was called out to a deer vs. car collision.
Ahhh, the fabled deer whistle :) Many years ago I met a guy in western Montana that owned a salvage yard. He mentioned that about half the cars in his lot were from deer/elk collisions. I asked him about these deer whistles I'd heard about and he smiled an walked me out to the yard. He pointed out over a dozen smashed up deer/elk cars still had a deer whistle firmly attached to the front bumper. He said the whistles were quite popular with the locals, but was never surprised to see one when he was called out to a deer vs. car collision.
I figure if they actually worked, the government would have required the car manufacturers to make them standard equipment by now, ;)
 
True .... Rode to dinner tonight..7 miles there, 15 miles back home lol
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wonder if OldF7guy made it home with his new to him CB 1100 ?
Made it in with time to spare and took it around to show some of my buddies.
I clocked about 275 miles today and unfortunately a lot of it was super slab because I had no choice. But just wow. What a fine motorcycle. Its a Nighthawk on steroids!:thumbsup: I just love this thing. :heart: It fits my riding style to a tee as an older fart but still has good performance, handling, braking and all of the modern features like FI I like. Fit and finish are imo excellent.

I dont think I can add anything to the conversation except to say you guys had it right all along. Front brakes are killer! Torque curve as flat as Kansas. Best shifting gear box I have ever encountered. Love the hydraulic clutch. Its smooth but have to agree with Flynrider that is not quite at the level of electric smooth the 750 Nighthawks are. They are literally superb imo. Not dissing the 1100 just stating an opinion and now own both so I feel I can validate it.

I have a couple of small quibbles with it that can be fixed by adjustment I think. Im not jumping to conclusions but my rear brake does not feel up to snuff. Its ok but I expected better. I am wondering if that also could be an adjustment. My Nighthawk comes in much sooner in the pedal travel and the 1100 you really have to mash it. I dont like that. It may be a good brake but I have not ridden it enough to make a conclusion. Need more seat time.

Mirrors are out of adjustment and I can fix that.

Overall, just very pleased and know I made a good purchase. No buyers remorse what so ever. Still trying to get used to the fuel gauge ect but I cant see the cluster in the sun which means I cant see my trip odometer either. Nothing is perfect but I cant think of another motorcycle I would rather have. Proud to be an owner of a CB1100 HOnda.

Oh, where can I get an owners manual? I got two keys and the wonderful tool kit Honda sent. :rofl:
I want to ask you guys another quick question about handling. The 1100 I got came with Dunlops but they feel way more sticky than my bias ply tires on my Nighthawk. Is it because they are newer with (1200-1500) miles or because radials are so much better than the bias plys on my 750 Nighthawk? The 1100 feels really solid and confident in corners. Im thinking its because of newer tires but would like opinions. Thanks.
 
Not under the seat huh...
 
Well alright! Congrats F7.I know its something you've wanted way back in the ADV Rider thread days! Really happy for ya. Thought my rear brakes on my 13 were poor, think the rear brakes on my 14 are poor. Luckily it's got killer front brakes. I still use the rears every time I use the front, but its more habit than substance. Honda tells me thats just how they are. I'm beginning to believe them. Someday...I'm going to bleed them and put more aggressive pads on there. Someday.

Nighthawk on steroids.. Pretty much describes it.

I think the radials are just that much better tires than bias plys, and these particular tires were designed to go with only this bike according to Honda.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well alright! Congrats F7.I know its something you've wanted way back in the ADV Rider thread days! Really happy for ya. Thought my rear brakes on my 13 were poor, think the rear brakes on my 14 are poor. Luckily it's got killer front brakes. I still use the rears every time I use the front, but its more habit than substance. Honda tells me thats just how they are. I'm beginning to believe them. Someday...I'm going to bleed them and put more aggressive pads on there. Someday.

Nighthawk on steroids.. Pretty much describes it.

I think the radials are just that much better tires than bias plys, and these particular tires were designed to go with only this bike according to Honda.
Glad to have the 1100. I knew you were not crazy when you questioned the rear brakes on your 1100s plual. It was just hard to grasp until you ride them. I will let anybody on this board ride my 1100 and 750 and use only the rear brakes and tell me which is best. I can already answer that as Ferret has in the past. The night hawk drum brake is better which makes no sense. I dont get it.

It seems more sensitive and has less of a travel to accuate if that makes any sense. Anyway, this is one thing I would like to improve is possible.
 
Congrats OldF7. I knew you'd love it!!

You may, among whatever else you do, want to adjust the pedal height of the rear brake. After bleeding the air, raising the pedal a tad helped me a lot.
 
Personally, I'm glad the bike doesn't have a particularly strong rear brake. It's fine for everyday use, and you're probably less likely to lock/skid the rear if you apply a little too much force in a panic stop situation (on a non-ABS bike).
 
Congratulations OldF7Guy! In my book this goes down as one of the true major events in the history of this forum. (I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly feel that way.) I knew you would end up with a CB1100 of your own one day, and I'm truly happy that day finally arrived for you.

As far as the rear brake is concerned, I'd suggest having it bled. I know others in the past have reported this making a noticeable difference for them and I can tell you that the rear brake on my bike is very effective.

Hope you're out riding the CB and not able to read this until later on. :biker:
 
Congratulations F7! I could tell from your posts here on the forum that you were a "man on a mission". Mission accomplished. Now get out there stay safe and enjoy your CB 1100.
 
I found on an online search, the 2010 Austrailian owner's manual. It's close enough to my U.S. 2013 model. I printed it out and keep a large clip on it and it fits under the seat.

There also are service manuals available in various places.
 
What the heck? Just have the dealer order one. Its supposed to come with the bike so that's the dealers problem. Its probably laying around in their prep area anyway.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
I found on an online search, the 2010 Austrailian owner's manual. It's close enough to my U.S. 2013 model. I printed it out and keep a large clip on it and it fits under the seat.

There also are service manuals available in various places.
Do you have a link for that? I cant find it and have searched and searched on google. I would like to read up on some things while I have time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I can sit and stare at this 1100 for hours on end.

I rode my 750 today after yesterdays haul and it felt like a model A Ford. Steering was so much heavier and clutch pull was about 3 times the effort. Its funny I never ever noticed such things until I finally rode a 1100. You will never hear a bad word out of my mouth about the Nighthawks but technology has marched on and that is a good thing.
 
Back
Top