Geez, what a slacker lol

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Didn't ride today. Big green X on the calendar. Boooo! Rode every day in Feb, every day March, every day in April, every day in May, and every day in June.... 27 of them in January and 21 of them in July. 199 out of 204 days

Laid around all day in sweats with my left foot elevated and an ice pack on it every couple of hours.

Gout flare started coming on 2 nights ago. Last night my left big toe and ankle started throbbing. If you never have had gout, let me tell you, you can't stand to even have a sheet on the affected area, much less a sock and boot. No way could I shift, I could BARELY walk on that left foot. Started taking what little medicine I had left over from the last flare (one day's worth) and called doc this morning for more. Mrs Ferret picked up script this afternoon and I'm happy to report I am on the mend. Throbbing has subsided. Walking pretty good tonight. Will see what it feels like in the morning and make a decision about riding tomorrow. Hate missing a day of riding, but won't if I don't feel safe doing it.

Oh and it also rained 1 1/2" today, so it was a good day to miss eh? otherwise I'd have also gotten wet lol.
 
Thread starter
They have me on Allopurinol (and just took me off of Cholcrys which probably triggered the flare)
 
Are Uloric and Allopurinal daily meds for gout?

I get very occasional episodes and support Ferret's statement about it being uncomfortable.
 
I’ve been taking 200 mg of Allopurinol daily for many years as a preventative to gout, with great success. You have my sympathies Ferret, a full-blown gout attack is probably the worst pain I’ve ever had. Drinking as much water as possible always helped to flush it out.
 
Thread starter
Yes Cormanus, at least the Allopurinol is. They told me I'd be on it for the rest of my life.

The Cholcrys was to lower the Uric acid in my system then when it got below the number they wanted, then the Allopurinol is for maintaining that Uric acid level I suppose which should prevent any flairs. But from what I gather getting on and off the Cholcrys can trigger a flair which is what happened go me.

Hopefully I'm done with this gout that has bothered me ocassionally for maybe 10 years.
 
Good luck, Ferret!
 
Glad to hear you have your medicine nearby and recovery accruing.
Stay fit and healthy! :thumbsup:
 
Oddly enough, my left toe was tender last week and I wondered if it was gout. Might be, but the pain wasn't quite as severe as described above and it went away pretty quickly without any meds. Getting a physical within the next few weeks anyway, so I'll have to ask the doc about it.

Hope you're feeling better today, Ferret. :) :biker:
 
Thread starter
Another rainy day.

Woke up sore still, so taking my meds. Tried to put a boot on... YOUCH! Got it on and back off without passing out. Reminded me of scene in Dances With Wolves where Kevin Costner wakes up in battlefield hospital where they were going to remove his lower leg and he reaches out and pulls his boot on lol.

There is supposed to be a break in the rain about 3 or 4 PM, will wait until then for a decision, but the wise thing would be to take another green X I'm afraid.

Hope it's nothing Sea. Pretty sure you would know if it was gout, it's like a kidney stone in a joint ( usually big toe but can be any joint...angles, knees etc).
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. ..and this year was going pretty well healthwise lol.

Rain quit. Roads dried out. Was walking pretty good so decided to ride the CB after dinner. Up shifting hurt like the blazes so I started up shifting with my heel and selected a route with very few stops and little shifting period. Mostly stayed in 4th on the slower sections and 5th on the faster sections requiring minimal shifting. Found out I could take 4th down to 20 mph and 5th up to 65 mph which is as fast as I was going to go anyway lol.
 
Glad you got out Ferret. If you were desperate, you could probably get to 3rd and stay there unless you had to stop.
 
Gout is very painful and I used to get it some years ago but after eating less "rich " foods and drinking less wine it seems to have disappeared. Stilton and port was the main cause of my gout.
 
Ouch! Didn’t Costner bite down on a stick when he pulled his boot on? Maybe you just need to find a good bite stick. One that’s narrow enough to fit inside the helmet...
 
Thread starter
Lol, yes he did. I have used bite sticks before. I know on one of my kidney stone I went to the hospital with a bite stick in my mouth. Took it out after they gave me the morphine.
 
Thread starter
Rode this afternoon and the toe felt much better, no issue upshifting.

Back on track baby!
 
As I went to bed last night, my toe felt very gouty and I thought you'd jinxed me, Ferret. Mercifully it was fine this morning. But no riding today. Rain and other things to do.
 
Back
Top