Gasket Pushing out?

rdeleon975_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi everyone. Picked this 2014 up on a trade in from a dealer yesterday. Admittedly I'm not the most experienced when it comes to actually wrenching on my bikes but was wondering if this is an issue? I didn't notice it when I was looking the bike over yesterday at the dealer but I had also ridden a few hours and could have missed it. No issues running/riding since I got it which have been around 200 miles so far. Should I be concerned? I asked the dealer to send me service records if he has any. Wondering if it was just previous work that got a little sloppy or something else.
 
The gasket is not pushing out, CB1100 has a an issue with weeping/sweating oil from the valve cover, it's not a malfunction or anything that should worry you. The extra adhesive might have been put there to stop that from happening, only problem is they haven't done it very meticulously.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
As Tod says, I would not be overly concerned. It is common practice on many bikes to use silicon sealant at that part of the valve cover gasket.
 
That sealant is factory. Mine came that way too. And as mentioned by Tod and Tev the service manual specifies sealant there.
 
The gasket-sealant corners have identical look like my CBs.
Very rare that `14 will develop weeping/sweating, I only had that issue with my `13 CB.
 
Never noticed that on the 2014.

Have to say it looks like a hack. Honda could have used black sealant to appear a bit more professional looking.
 
How many miles on the bike ? , to ME it seems that the sealant is not the original one used . Did the valve cover ever comes of ?
 
I wouldn’t worry about it.
a11af5ca0b39346b97fc8fa23007d3ee.jpg


BTW: welcome to the forum!
 
Two years ago I went to look at a low mileage 2014 at a Honda dealers and there it was in the yard ticking over nicely with me looking around it when I noticed the sealant like in the first picture only much more messy. I asked the dealer why it was like that ? have the valve adjustment been done ? We stepped back a little and he replied no its not done enough miles for the valves to be done but the top has been off at some point but I don't know why. Then the bike started to make a loud ticking noise and the dealer ran up to it and turned it off, he looked at me and said its a good bike do you want it?
I replied maybe but I have others to view first and made my exit.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your bike but there was with the one I looked at.
My new rs has no sealant like in the pictures.
 
As I mentioned before , it does not look like the OEM sealant but more like a sealant bought from a auto store : what was the reason they put it on , did they just put it on from the outside to stop oil sweating ???
 
Houtman, it looks exactly the same as mine from the factory.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Houtman, it looks exactly the same as mine from the factory.
I had another good look at my 2014 and yes you are right (this time .....) In the past I always did see a darker sealant on my Honda bikes ( like 3 bond ) but now the sealant is more clear . Sorry about me scaring the original Poster !
 
Back
Top