Gas Spill?

Jayimpalaman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have been putting gas in motorcycles for years and on my CB1100 I have overfilled it two times already! I go slow, but in the end it just goes everywhere. What is up with this picture? Any one else want to confess that they have also done it too? Thanks.



Jayimpalaman






Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Heb. 11:1
 
Not me...id throw a holy fit though if I did
 
I too have found this very challenging. Going very slow at the end and not filling it up all the way to avoid the splash over on to the tank. My HD Road King has a type of splash well inside the cap that helps prevent the splash over effect. Challenging on the CB though, need to be careful, going very slow towards the end...
 
I've overfilled as well, mostly because the tank is relatively small and I'm trying to fit every last ounce to extend the range.
 
It gurgles if you try to fill above the neck--which I'm always guilty of, trying to eek just a few more ounces into the tank.
 
Close, but not yet, I could see it happening but I don't try to fill it to the top, I like stopping for gas so I can get off it for a while, look at it, strike up a conversation and move on :-)
 
Jayimpalaman_imp said:
I have been putting gas in motorcycles for years and on my CB1100 I have overfilled it two times already! I go slow, but in the end it just goes everywhere. What is up with this picture? Any one else want to confess that they have also done it too? Thanks.



Jayimpalaman






Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Heb. 11:1
As you use the pump, you must not rely on the auto shut off at all. I gently squeeze the handle, watching inside the tank and stop as soon as it reaches the lower portion of the expansion tube.


I have had no difficulty with this having filled up four times so far. But I broke off my oil drain plug, so you can't go by me. :(
 
It's a bit more of a hassle but .... I buy no-ethanol marine fuel, filling 3 5-gal containers, and add marine stabil ... and refuel at home. Of course, if you're on a long ride this can't be done.

How many of you folks add seafoam to your bikes' fuel?
 
Some gas nozzles allow me to really slow the flow at the end but some of them are almost on/off switches that are either stopped or flowing like a fire hose. Yeah I've overflowed as well.

Chip
 
gaterzfan_imp said:
It's a bit more of a hassle but .... I buy no-ethanol marine fuel, filling 3 5-gal containers, and add marine stabil ... and refuel at home. Of course, if you're on a long ride this can't be done.

How many of you folks add seafoam to your bikes' fuel?
I do about twice a summer just to keep things cleared out, then again when I put it up for winter storage.
 
I too have overfilled this bike twice already and never for the last 20 years; a couple of times when I first started riding. But I'd like to hear more about the broken oil plug. Didn't know that was even possible as I have never heard anyone doing that before.
 
AZrider_imp said:
I too have overfilled this bike twice already and never for the last 20 years; a couple of times when I first started riding. But I'd like to hear more about the broken oil plug. Didn't know that was even possible as I have never heard anyone doing that before.
I ordered a magnetic drain plug on-line. The head on this plug is 13mm instead of the 17mm that is supplied by Honda. I made the mistake of trying to torque to the same spec as Honda's and it broke way before I got there. You could use this type of plug if you want but I would start with no more than 20nm (15 ft. lbs.) of torque. Or maybe my plug was just defective.

I don't know which it was. My bike is at the shop being worked on.
 
I hear the McCuff no gas spill device works well.

No Spill Motorcycle Gas Fill Solutions

The first time I filled my 2011 Triumph Bonneville, I stuffed the nozzle down in the tank and started pumping. Next thing I know fuel is spilling out all over the tank. I learned quickly to just insert the nozzle in about 1" to allow the vapor shut off to work. I also closely monitor the amount of fuel I am putting in. I think I get to about 2.8 gal and then run very slow to about 3 gals.
 
meowguy_imp said:
AZrider_imp said:
I too have overfilled this bike twice already and never for the last 20 years; a couple of times when I first started riding. But I'd like to hear more about the broken oil plug. Didn't know that was even possible as I have never heard anyone doing that before.
I ordered a magnetic drain plug on-line. The head on this plug is 13mm instead of the 17mm that is supplied by Honda. I made the mistake of trying to torque to the same spec as Honda's and it broke way before I got there. You could use this type of plug if you want but I would start with no more than 20nm (15 ft. lbs.) of torque. Or maybe my plug was just defective.

I don't know which it was. My bike is at the shop being worked on.
I ordered a magnetic drain plug on-line. The head on this plug is 13mm instead of the 17mm that is supplied by Honda. I made the mistake of trying to torque to the same spec as Honda's and it broke way before I got there. You could use this type of plug if you want but I would start with no more than 20nm (15 ft. lbs.) of torque. Or maybe my plug was just defective.

I don't know which it was. My bike is at the shop being worked on.
Did just the head break off, and the stud part is still in place, or is the stud part up inside loose around the oil pan?
 
I noticed a problem with gas "spitting back" when filling up due to the high frame tunnel inside of the tank. It rises very close to the fuel cap opening.

By pushing the nozel off to one side, and deeper into the tank, the problem with minor "splash back" was eliminated.

Perhaps this is what Jayimpalaman was also doing, holding the end of the nozel too close to the top of the tank's frame tunnel.:-/
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
I hear the McCuff no gas spill device works well.

No Spill Motorcycle Gas Fill Solutions

The first time I filled my 2011 Triumph Bonneville, I stuffed the nozzle down in the tank and started pumping. Next thing I know fuel is spilling out all over the tank. I learned quickly to just insert the nozzle in about 1" to allow the vapor shut off to work. I also closely monitor the amount of fuel I am putting in. I think I get to about 2.8 gal and then run very slow to about 3 gals.
I ordered one of these and use it just about every time I fill up.
Works great for my lazy butt :cool:
 
Back
Top