Gas Gauge Accuracy?

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My new-to-me 2014 started flashing the gas gauge to indicate reserve.

I had 110 miles on the odometer since the last fill up. When I filled it again, it only took 2.7 gallons.

With a 3.9 gallon tank, 1.2 gallons is nearly a third of a tank!

I've also noticed that the gauge reads full after a fill-up, but after only 30 miles or so, it will read half a tank.

Apparently this is a common issue for this bike.

My 2014 has been getting 40 mpg, which is worse than I expected, but she seems to be running well, and at least it's consistent.

I will address the mpg issue separately, but I wanted to see how many others have this extremely "generous" reserve tank!
 
I've been at 50 miles on the trip meter and been on the last bar before so I just ignore the fuel gauge and just fill up around 100-120 miles. I also only ever see 40 mpg, unlike some of the users on here who see numbers like 52 or 53.
 
Like tj_gee I fill up every 100-120 miles. I use the gauge as just that... a gauge. It's not perfect but it will give me an idea where I stand. Riding my 13 Cb1100 for a hundred miles or so it's a good time to get off and stretch the ole legs and re hydrate and fill the bike up as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 
Gordo_imp said:
Like tj_gee I fill up every 100-120 miles. I use the gauge as just that... a gauge. It's not perfect but it will give me an idea where I stand. Riding my 13 Cb1100 for a hundred miles or so it's a good time to get off and stretch the ole legs and re hydrate and fill the bike up as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly - and that's just what I do :P
 
I think we all have a "generous" reserve.

On my 14 DLX it only loses 1 bar 30 miles after a fill up, 3 bars after about 100. Goes to 1 flashing bar at 155 and indicates 60 miles to empty for a total range of 215 miles. That's with 4.6 gal tank

From a previous thread in 2014

"zeroed my Trip B. When I got to 142 miles on this tank I started watching it. Finally at 153 the last bar started flashing (about 3 miles from home) and then the mileage went to 61 indicating at current speed I had 61 more miles of fuel left in the tank ( 153 + 61 would indicate a range of 214 miles)."

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2625

Looked up and old thread and up on my 2013 with the 3.9 gal tank, I went on flashing reserve at 146.8 miles Went 33.1 miles on reserve Got gas at 179.9 miles Took 3.286 gallons which means I still had over 1/2 gallon left or another 25 miles.

previous thread in 2013

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=669
 
I've been able to squeeze 200mi between fill-ups a couple of times on my 2014 STD. By that point, the range indicator is blinking "--".

I usually average 55mpg or so. I feel like I'm always speeding, too. I think as the engine gets some miles on it, it turns over with less friction. I'm at 35,250.
 
My fuel gauge seems to work better than yours. Over the past 27,000 miles I have averaged 155 miles between fill-ups. I try to fill up shortly after the last bar appears on the meter, but sometimes I have ridden several miles with the "mileage remaining" message showing.
 
I personally found the CB1100 fuel statistic range remaining to be useful. I have ridden more than a few times with less than 50 kms remaining and still had two to three liters (less than one U.S. olde school gallon) of juice still in the tank. I consider that very acceptable accuracy given my average economy was 5.0L / 100 kms.
 
I honestly never pay attention to my gas gauge. On the '13, the last bar blinking feature doesn't attract enough attention for me to notice, as would a yellow light like any other bike would have. I just hit the gas station near my house when the trip meter is around 150-160 miles and I know I'll be OK.
 
Often when my GPS indicates " ... this many kms to destination ... " and my Honda indicates " ... this much [approximate] range left ... ", I can determine at a glimpse if I can reach my gas station, or plan an alternate.

It is rewarding landing at a gas station with a few of pints of fuel left and knowing it.

Caveat: In this situation I do not ride like an animal. I am sure Honda's averaging wouldn't be able to compensate early enough.
 
Back
Top