Gap in throttle housing is driving me crazy!

x(why)z_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all,

Any insights into how to properly assemble this housing to get rid of this gap? I put a Renthal bar on a while ago as I was uncomfortable with the stock riding position. Since then, I can not get the housing to sit flush. How do you get it to seat properly?! It is making me nuts.

Thanks!
d4fb82347204da5422941a931532e37f.jpg
 
You should NOT ride like that. You do realize that assembly holds the throttle tube in. If tyat assemby comes apart, well, bad things could happen.

You need to take it back apart and see what you have wrong and put it back together properly. Can’t tell what is wrong, but something is not seated in the assembly properly.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You should NOT ride like that. You do realize that assembly holds the throttle tube in. If tyat assemby comes apart, well, bad things could happen.

You need to take it back apart and see what you have wrong and put it back together properly. Can’t tell what is wrong, but something is not seated in the assembly properly.
I have multiple times. It is very secure and operates as normal, just looks horrific. Everything is seated correctly.

Townie_imp said:
I'm a bit confused by the photo. Is that middle switch a turn signal switch on the throttle side?
No, it is the hazard switch. Maybe some markets have different switchgear?
Retsel_imp said:
What bike is this? It looks nothing like my 2014 Standard.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Interesting.....
It is a 2013. I bought it with twenty miles a year and a half ago from the dealer.
 
Well, think what you will, but it is not safe and not assembled correctly. I would suggest that if you can’t get it right, take it to the dealer and let them do it. Won’t take them long. Good luck!
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well, think what you will, but it is not safe and not assembled correctly. I would suggest that if you can’t get it right, take it to the dealer and let them do it. Won’t take them long. Good luck!
Thanks! And I have. They didn't know what was going on either. Super annoying. I haven't ridden it much since as I've largely been away. I'll try again tomorrow. You must be right. there has got to be SOMETHING incorrect in there. I just can't believe that both myself and the shop have missed it. It was always a bit janky, but this is ridiculous.
 
Try taking it off the handlebars and fitting it together without the throttle tube inside, to get a feel for how it is supposed to go together. I suspect that the throttle tube is out of position to the left. Try positioning it more to the right, i.e. make the space between the white cable cam and the black housing smaller. You will end up with more gap between the outside of the black housing and the inside flare of the grip.

48c2a7004dac55df6645bb955816e756.jpg
 
Thread starter
Something I'm wondering is if the bar is slightly smaller in diameter. Everything went together as normal otherwise, but perhaps there is something a bit odd. I went and check again now, and indeed, there are no misalignments or oddities in seating. It simply won't close properly.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to likely replace the assembly.
Stichill_imp said:
Try taking it off the handlebars and fitting it together without the throttle tube inside, to get a feel for how it is supposed to go together. I suspect that the throttle tube is out of position to the left. Try positioning it more to the right, i.e. make the space between the white cable cam and the black housing smaller. You will end up with more gap between the outside of the black housing and the inside flare of the grip.

48c2a7004dac55df6645bb955816e756.jpg
Ah! You maybe be right!!! This could be the ticket. I'll check in the morning and post up the results. This looks promising.

THANK YOU!
 
According to the service manual, there is a locating pin in the assembly that needs to line up with a hole in the bar. Also, as Stich pointed out, it looks like your throttle tube is further inboard than in the pictures in the manual (although it's hard to tell). Plus, it seems to me that you may not have the assembly lined up with the flange on the throttle tube (again, it's hard to tell that from here.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
According to the service manual, there is a locating pin in the assembly that needs to line up with a hole in the bar. Also, as Stich pointed out, it looks like your throttle tube is further inboard than in the pictures in the manual (although it's hard to tell). Plus, it seems to me that you may not have the assembly lined up with the flange on the throttle tube (again, it's hard to tell that from here.
It seems this is it. The hole on the replacement bar is slightly off. Enough to mess it up! Tomorrow I will re-drill, and see if I can't sort this. I'm hoping I haven't warped the housing too far to fix.

Thanks to all!
 
It continues to use to amaze me that the Australian CBs do not have a hazard light switch.
 
Thread starter
You all are great! It was indeed that the locating pins had nowhere to go. There is still a small gap, but that is becauseI've warped the housing a bit. A new one is on order. The throttle feel s better actually, so I'm pretty happy. I'll feel much more confident putting some serious miles on now.

1529360e78d76cc106155e07fdab13ff.jpg

bd0474aab94b83caf29628f8a8cc0ed1.jpg


The improved cockpit:
1fb259e0295993552b53271613ee8588.jpg
 
the hazzard switch on my 14 DLX is a big grey thing in the middle r/h side. On the left hand side used to be a big grey horn button in the middle (but I put a 13 switch on the left and now my turn signals are in the middle, horn on bottom)
 
Just went into the garage and sure enough- somehow I know where the kill switch and start button are but somehow totally never noticed the hazard switch. (and I even put the '13 controls on my '14 because I hated the big grey buttons, wanted a more authentic old school look)

Loosing my mind I tell yah...
 
Back
Top