FYI: Honda Service Bulletin on CB 1100

When I was a MxDad, I always used engine temp stickers. ($15). They're like litmus paper for temperature..the strips change color at different temp ranges. I think max temp was 250f.
 
An infrared thermoter can be had pretty cheaply, or expensively (is that a word?) your choice. I use one and there are some pretty hot spots on the bike, expecially around the plugs. Sorry, at the moment I don't recall the temps.

I have 3 of them. Kinda expensive, not as expensive, and kinda cheap. They all read about the same, +- a degree or 2.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
An infrared thermoter can be had pretty cheaply, or expensively (is that a word?) your choice. I use one and there are some pretty hot spots on the bike, expecially around the plugs. Sorry, at the moment I don't recall the temps.

I have 3 of them. Kinda expensive, not as expensive, and kinda cheap. They all read about the same, +- a degree or 2.
So is resurrecting threads that are this old bad etiquette or preferred to creating a new one??

Oops, too late; it's already resurrected.

I imagine your expensive one, popgun, is a Fluke unit?

Anyway, back on topic... I see a lot of threads on this forum with image not found where there used to be a picture. This thread for example is kind of weird to read not being able to see exactly what everyone is talking about. My 2017 EX has about 350 miles on it and has a strange but nicely sweet smell that seems less strong as time goes by. I noticed it at the very first stop sign I pulled up to after riding it off the lot. My headers seem as beautiful today as they were in the showroom.

Does anyone have a transcript of this SB?

Back off-topic, as a gadget lover, I really just want to know what three IR thermometers popgun has. :beerchug:
 
A thermo-imaging camera is quite useful too, but pricier. At least you can capture and save heat images as well as heat images overlayed on actual images.
 
Thread starter
Yea its fine to bring up old threads, but a lot of the pictures were lost when photo hosting site Photobucket (which a lot of us used to use), tried to coerce us to pay $400 each,per year, to let us use our pictures which it had previously let us use for free. When we didnt pay we lost our posting priveledges. Many of us deleted our pics from their hosting site.

The aformentioned Service Bulletin instructed mechanics to wash the SS headers on the CB 1100 before delivery.

It also explained the oiling/cooling system for the top end around the spark plugs, and explained about the long skinny spark plugs iirc.
 
One is a Blue Point from Snap-on. I don’t really like it as it is a little big.
Then a Raytec that I like and I think a Greenlee I got at Home Depot.

The Greenlee was cheap and I leave it at work. The Raytec was around $65 IIFC and I used to leave it at work and it was stolen. I replaced it with another that I keep at home and put the Greenlee at work.

Although I have 4 or 5 Fluke meters and a Fluke clamp on current meter, I don’t have a Fluke infra-red thermometer.

Now if you have a HP or Agilent Spectrum Analyser laying around, please feel free to send it to me. :) Heck, Max and Peterbaron probably already have one!!
 
The sad thing about Photobucket's decision is that, over time, they realised they got it wrong and now all the old photos are visible, albeit with a PhotoBucket logo displayed. I'm kinda glad I didn't delete my account even though I was sorely tempted.
 
Thread starter
Yea Cormanus in retrospect I wish I hadn't because a lot of the old threads are mine and they were photo heavy, so they suffered the most. HIstory threads, How To Threads etc.

I probably have all the old phots in my files, but going thru them all downloading them to a new site amd putting them in the right places in each of the threads would be a monumental task. One I no longer have the gumption to do.
 
PhotoBucket did pull their head out of their, well you know, and lowered their fee to 40 or 50 a year. I paid it. Yeah, I caved, sue me. I posted a pic the other day and it didn’t have the PhotoBucket watermark. I guess thats because I paid.

I checked and I did not keep a copy of that Wrench. Wish I had.
 
Is Wrench available online?
 
Thread starter
No or at least it shouldnt be. It's privy info for dealers. There not only set up tips but tech tips about repairing different models.

I'll see if I still have it, but it's pretty useless 6 years down the road.
 
Ferret, if you have it, I’d like a copy to file away for questions like this.
 
Thread starter
I found them, click on pics to enlarge, then click on box in upper rh corner to make full screen

8322399a3cdd893e22aa980f050ef128.jpg


5c302b9dcabf5223bacbffbb27dab70d.jpg
 
Thread starter
Lol I'm not going to email hundreds of individual members ( btdt). You know how to click and save as a jpeg don't you?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
One is a Blue Point from Snap-on. I don’t really like it as it is a little big.
Then a Raytec that I like and I think a Greenlee I got at Home Depot.

The Greenlee was cheap and I leave it at work. The Raytec was around $65 IIFC and I used to leave it at work and it was stolen. I replaced it with another that I keep at home and put the Greenlee at work.

Although I have 4 or 5 Fluke meters and a Fluke clamp on current meter, I don’t have a Fluke infra-red thermometer.

Now if you have a HP or Agilent Spectrum Analyser laying around, please feel free to send it to me. :) Heck, Max and Peterbaron probably already have one!!
Did you mean the E4443A /6.7 GHz

fcff401ba7ce0987f62d03b837899707.jpg


sorry, cannot be sent, cuz I dont have it

:beerchug:
 
Lol - Sorry, am I missing something? What does a frequency spectrum analyzer have to do with anything on this thread, let alone the CB?

Back to heat mapping, thermo-imaging camera?
 
Hey Gold, Bob said he liked gadgets! And I could use the analyser to analyze ummm, uhhh, any emissions from the bike (on topic now, yee haw). (Peter, is he buying this?).

A fun gadget is the Healtech diagonistic tool. Works on most Honda bikes and a number of their outboards. I mostly used it to gather baseline data for the idle problem a small team of us worked on. But if I get a check engine light it is real easy to read the codes/subcodes.

Peter that one is discontinued, but for ONLY ~$12000 you can get a used one. The HP at work cost around $50000
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Hey Gold, Bob said he liked gadgets! And I could use the analyser to analyze ummm, uhhh, any emissions from the bike (on topic now, yee haw). (Peter, is he buying this?).

A fun gadget is the Healtech diagonistic tool. Works on most Honda bikes and a number of their outboards. I mostly used it to gather baseline data for the idle problem a small team of us worked on. But if I get a check engine light it is real easy to read the codes/subcodes.

Peter that one is discontinued, but for ONLY ~$12000 you can get a used one. The HP at work cost around $50000
Ah, okay ... like an "OBD" tool, but for Honda products. That would be useful in a pinch ( ... no pinching please :) .).

Yeah, lab grade spectrum analyzers might be cheaper to rent. :s
 
It is an OBD tool. Healtech has them for different bike makes. I have the Honda model as I have 2 Hondas. It plugs into the DTC connector and to a PC. Doesn’t work with Apple.

They update the software occasionally. Updates are free.

It reads out a lot of data and you can make run files. Could even go for a ride, then play back the file at home. The software is free and is on their site. You could load it and play the sample files if you wanted to get an idea of its operation. You don’t need the ODB tool to run the samples.
 
Back
Top