FYI: Honda Service Bulletin on CB 1100

Could that be the smell I detected when I took
delievery of the Bike.I smelled it for about a week.Good thing when
I checked the oil and found that it read totally full in the glass
sight gauge I mentioned a smell from the bike when I called the
Service Dept. to check if they had a service checklist stating the
amount of oil put in the bike and what the glass sight gauge read.
Here's my take on Dealers and Service Dept. I was almost gonna write
a book about it.
it is my expert and firsthand experience that Motorcycle Service dept.
exist to follow the marching orders from up top.Whoever the nearest boss is.
Meaning,the customer will always be at a disadvantage.The employees of
a Dealership will always cotton to their pecking order.So if a problem
develops about a service dept. screw up,even one that is documented,
good luck trying to voice yer opinion.The customer will always be outnumbered
by the Dealer employees.Chalk it up to human nature,I guess.
But I don't like it.I never acted that way.
I was never Boss oriented.I never gave Miss Crabtree an apple in class.
Like little Jackie Cooper.
 
Yikes! The oil temp light doesn't come on until 347F??? So much for that sense of security I had about having an oil temp sensor. I had a problem with thermal (and shear) breakdown of oil on the CB750 and it never ran anywhere near 300F. Guess it's time to start looking for an external oil temp gauge for the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
342 ..... Not that 5 degrees will make you feel any better flynrider lol
 
I think we smell the cosmoline (I think it's actually something else; but we always called it cosmoline) and today the aroma brings back fond memories. Odd how that works. :)
That is damn high for a warning light.
 
The ferret_imp said:
342 ..... Not that 5 degrees will make you feel any better flynrider lol
Not much :dodgy: I ride air cooled bikes all summer in temps exceeding 105F. If the light comes on at 342, the oil has the viscosity of water. A little late in my book.
 
This concerns me as well now...... Could it be that the oil light coming on is the last resort for the bike? The article mentions the ecm will adjust for idle or low speed to inhibit excessive temps. I assume ( yeah i know i shouldnt) that the 342 temp would not be hit while riding at speed and air cooling the engine and oil?

Very interesting?

May be time to find one of those slick oil temp dip sticks. If they even make them for this bike.
 
On my air cooled BMW HP2 it had a gauge that went to 123 then at 145 would flash RED to shut the bike down. Just another + for quality oil, 172 or 342 degrees is HOT.
 
I knew the bike had an oil sight glass, but seems the oil fill cap is just that...a cap. I doubt a oil temp dipstick would work in this application.
 
Is there some way to get that Honda technician Newsletter :
- The Wrench -.
BTW ... who here has a Honda Service manual.Or shop manual.
I don't wanna ask at my Honda dealer.Because they'll think
I'm trying to avoid using their Service Dept. to save money.
I just had a front tire replaced on my Rune.It took a month.
Because Honda only had a 2 year production run and the OEM
Dunlop tire is now very hard to locate.Even a Metzeler.
So it took a good 3 weeks on back order from Parts Unlimited.
The Mechanic labor rate in my area is now { $ 85 per hour }.
It was $ 65 per about 3 years ago.
And $ 44 ... 10 years ago.
 
Thread starter
If you are on good terms with your dealer, they will probably give you a copy, but all of the "Wrenches" don't concern the CB 1100. In that one, there was also info about the new 500's and about a valve checking procedure, I just didn't photocopy that part so as not to confuse anyone. I stop at my dealer occasionally and ask if there are any service bulletins regarding the CB1100 or the ST 1300 which I also own. If there are they will generally give me a copy.
 
_imp said:
Is there some way to get that Honda technician Newsletter :
- The Wrench -.
BTW ... who here has a Honda Service manual.Or shop manual.
I don't wanna ask at my Honda dealer.Because they'll think
I'm trying to avoid using their Service Dept. to save money.
I just had a front tire replaced on my Rune.It took a month.
Because Honda only had a 2 year production run and the OEM
Dunlop tire is now very hard to locate.Even a Metzeler.
So it took a good 3 weeks on back order from Parts Unlimited.
The Mechanic labor rate in my area is now { $ 85 per hour }.
It was $ 65 per about 3 years ago.
And $ 44 ... 10 years ago.
I have a shop manual that was included in the purchase of my bike. Are you looking for a certain repair issue?
 
kenfyoozed_imp said:
_imp said:
Is there some way to get that Honda technician Newsletter :
- The Wrench -.
BTW ... who here has a Honda Service manual.Or shop manual.
I don't wanna ask at my Honda dealer.Because they'll think
I'm trying to avoid using their Service Dept. to save money.
I just had a front tire replaced on my Rune.It took a month.
Because Honda only had a 2 year production run and the OEM
Dunlop tire is now very hard to locate.Even a Metzeler.
So it took a good 3 weeks on back order from Parts Unlimited.
The Mechanic labor rate in my area is now { $ 85 per hour }.
It was $ 65 per about 3 years ago.
And $ 44 ... 10 years ago.
I have a shop manual that was included in the purchase of my bike. Are you looking for a certain repair issue?
I have a shop manual that was included in the purchase of my bike. Are you looking for a certain repair issue?
Wha ? never heard of that before.how many pages.?
Not the Owners Manual at 128 pgs.,either
 
Sound like time for a science fair experiment of cooking some Honda 10w-30 on a camping grill with a deep fat frying thermometer and see what happens, but I suspect higher temps are used to cook french fries or a turkey but I never worked fast food so don't have first hand knowledge.

But I am interested in a temp gauge if someone figures it out as I never like warning lights.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
_imp said:
Could that be the smell I detected when I took
delievery of the Bike.I smelled it for about a week.Good thing when
I checked the oil and found that it read totally full in the glass
sight gauge I mentioned a smell from the bike when I called the
Service Dept. to check if they had a service checklist stating the
amount of oil put in the bike and what the glass sight gauge read.
Here's my take on Dealers and Service Dept. I was almost gonna write
a book about it.
it is my expert and firsthand experience that Motorcycle Service dept.
exist to follow the marching orders from up top.Whoever the nearest boss is.
Meaning,the customer will always be at a disadvantage.The employees of
a Dealership will always cotton to their pecking order.So if a problem
develops about a service dept. screw up,even one that is documented,
good luck trying to voice yer opinion.The customer will always be outnumbered
by the Dealer employees.Chalk it up to human nature,I guess.
But I don't like it.I never acted that way.
I was never Boss oriented.I never gave Miss Crabtree an apple in class.
Like little Jackie Cooper.
Is this a sonnet?

Should I be reading it using an iambic pentameter inflection?
 
Local Honda shops here in San Antonio are charging $100/hr, so you are lucky. That is cheap compared to what I cost my company. But I like to wrench myself.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Sound like time for a science fair experiment of cooking some Honda 10w-30 on a camping grill with a deep fat frying thermometer and see what happens, but I suspect higher temps are used to cook french fries or a turkey but I never worked fast food so don't have first hand knowledge.

But I am interested in a temp gauge if someone figures it out as I never like warning lights.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can fry foods in vegetable oil at 300 deg F. and up, 350 deg is generally optimum for french fries, etc. A deep fat frying thermometer would certainly cover the temp range discussed in this thread.

No matter the measure, 342 degrees F is hot enough to fry a turkey, for sure. I'm no engineer, but that seems mighty hot for engine oil.
I was in some really bad stop and stop traffic the other day, I shut the engine down a couple of times in stopped traffic, temps were in the high 90s. I was watching for the oil temp warning light, and it did not light up, so I have no indication of excessive heat. However, when I got to my destination, I heard some tapping sounds coming from the engine. I was at a little over 7600 miles on the odometer, about due for the 8000 mile servicing, so I thought maybe the tapping was related to the need for the oil to be changed, or perhaps even valve adjustment, (unlikely at 8000 miles, but valve clearance is checked at 8000). When I left about an hour later, the tapping noise was there for a minute or so after start up, then faded away. Now I'm wondering if the tapping was heat related.............
 
Back
Top