Full or Open Face Helmet?

cblais19_imp said:
Chin curtains help with that. I use NRR33 foamies because they’re cheap and super effective, and I can still hear the music on my Cardo with em.

Can’t imagine not using a full face, especially on a bike with minimal wind protection like a CB. One look at the jaw impact stats decided me!
(+1) :exclamation:
 
If you really cared about your safety you'd be driving a car with front and side air bags, shoulder seat belts and crumple zones instead of a motorcycle.

A helmet "is" the only piece of equipment that was designed to and has a chance at saving your life, but lord I hope I never have to rely on it, as there are no guarantees it will do so. As far as saving your life a DOT approved open face, 3/4 or modular will do as well as a full face. As far as saving your teeth or face, a full face probably is best, but a modular may do just as good.

All the other safety gear we wear is designed to keep us from breaking certain bones like knees, elbows, ankles and shoulders and from getting scraped up.

I mostly rely on experience, common sense, and a measure of restraint to keep me alive, but I'm glad I wear gear as back up... Just in case.
 
About the only thing that is a wild card regardless of body gear and helmets is the neck. Just the right moment on the neck due to head+helmet whip lash and nothing else really matters.
 
I guess from a .mil background, I engaged in risk management knowing I was engaging in an activity that had a higher risk the sitting in the house (generally). Full face helmets are more comfortable & safer from my perspective. Having taken small stones and other debries to the neck, I can’t imagine taking that sort of hit around the mouth area - to say nothing of flies and the like!

We all have different risk thresholds and comfort preferences. Those are mine.
 
One of my favourites (not!) is the freeway velocity yellow jackets on the bare neck in the profuse humid summer time.

In regards to freeway dump trucks and flatbeds, I usually tilt the helmet downward a bit and arrange to pass the vehicle. Rocks suck.
 
I bought this NEXX helmet 'as new' off a member a couple years or so back. Was too small for me. VERY light and quiet and just seems well made. I was going to sell it on the forum but liked the look so much I decided to keep it sitting around as a decoration for the bike garage. Has a decidedly modern café look.

686cd57e4633d6754d6bb31f2d3e4101.jpg


a85b84711b6d453da049dfa384f2d67c.jpg


d1abffc70a9a0cfdad59b2327cce678f.jpg


64a277d04081395ba3756da5be3eb74a.jpg


ba2e590afd37e37dd53367d52c4453f7.jpg
 
I have used modular helmets exclusively (I sneeze a lot); HJC SYMAX (great!), SYMAX II (inherent problems), SYMAX III (better, but expensive), and the current Bilt Tech something something with built-in coms.

My brother once had a pigeon get stuck inside his bulbous Bell face shield. Do you have any idea how hard it is to safely ride a motorcycle over to the shoulder with a frantic pigeon clawing at your face?

I once had a student, a drop-dead gorgeous 50-year-old woman, who brought her neighbor's ancient full-face helmet to the two-day Basic Rider Course. Near the end of the last exercise on Saturday, she locked up the front wheel, went over the handlebars, and face-planted on the asphalt HARD. The helmet was destroyed and her beautiful face was saved. If she had borrowed one of the program's three-quarter helmets, she would have been looking at facial reconstruction.

If you don't currently use a full-face or modular helmet, please consider protecting the rest of your head.
 
The ferret_imp said:
JESTER_imp said:
I have wrecked before and its not fun! I was wearing a full face then and I will always wear one. I have the Shoei RF1000 which is 5yrs old so it was time to replace it.....with the Shoei RF1100. Safety gear is not the place to save money!!!!!!! Remember, when you are going down the last thought that will never go through you head is "man I am really wearing too much gear"

And if you do wana wear less gear I hear the Harley guys/life style may be more to your liking.

A closing thought....for those of us who have been riding for any length of time we have all lost someone who we rode with. But hey these are just opinions on the matter.
Well, that was kind of a shot, wasn't it? I knew this site would lose its civility some day. Just didn't expect it this soon.
Well, that was kind of a shot, wasn't it? I knew this site would lose its civility some day. Just didn't expect it this soon.
Well let me step things down a notch with a story. Two weeks ago I decided to ride with a group that rides to different places for breakfast on some Saturdays. So I accepted the invitation and thought "Geez, these are all Harley Guys so I better use my half helmet". I show up, and the ride leader, on a beautiful Road Glide, has a full face Arai. I felt pretty silly. And naked. I feel naked without a full face.
spartanheed_imp said:
Full face Bell Bullitt. I like my chin the way it is
Those are cool !
 
DHB_imp said:
I have used modular helmets exclusively (I sneeze a lot); HJC SYMAX (great!), SYMAX II (inherent problems), SYMAX III (better, but expensive), and the current Bilt Tech something something with built-in coms.

My brother once had a pigeon get stuck inside his bulbous Bell face shield. Do you have any idea how hard it is to safely ride a motorcycle over to the shoulder with a frantic pigeon clawing at your face?

I once had a student, a drop-dead gorgeous 50-year-old woman, who brought her neighbor's ancient full-face helmet to the two-day Basic Rider Course. Near the end of the last exercise on Saturday, she locked up the front wheel, went over the handlebars, and face-planted on the asphalt HARD. The helmet was destroyed and her beautiful face was saved. If she had borrowed one of the program's three-quarter helmets, she would have been looking at facial reconstruction.

If you don't currently use a full-face or modular helmet, please consider protecting the rest of your head.
Second this, you have a higher chance of impact in the left and right chin areas than anywhere else on the helmet.
2f4136147b9a791e46737244b1cdd4b8.jpg
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Why would that be interesting, GoldOxide?
Possibly on the assumption the neck wasn't broken due to whiplash I suppose (i.e. no helmet impact).

In terms of helmet impact, there could be a correlation between helmet "zone" impact and any severity of any neck damage. Never seen stats on that, not sure if there would be any. Hence, the call out.
 
Well, there's a "Smart Helmet" which might help.

"The helmet includes an advanced camera system that auto-records video, as well as a display system and audio, to relay information collected by the AI system, which monitors about 1,000 different data points.

Information is personalised based on location, the type of bike and where the rider is headed to, and collated from anything from map apps, user input data or community and Facebook groups.

“It’s really like a super-advanced Google Maps, with an AI fitted in the back,” Boyadgis says."

Smart helmet startup Forcite secures $1 million to prepare motorcyclists for the driverless roads of the future
 
How would that helmet have known oil was on the road and saved the rider?
 
Put a watermelon in an open face helmet and let it fall down from a 30 ft high tower.
Then do the same with a full helmet and see the difference... :cool:


Beside kidding, I tried an open face helmet only once in summer of 2003, when we had really hot temperatures. But very soon I decided, I like more the integral helmet, as it also protects you from the hot wind while riding in the heat.
 
Back
Top