Fuel tank range.

Recife79_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Good evening all, I have got a question regarding the range on the CB 1100.

This is a mortorbike I have been looking to buy it for a while but I have just found out that a full tank only gives 170 miles, is this correct?

Specially when touring, I would hope for at least 200 miles per tankto avoid fuel anxiety and not keep woring about finding the next petrol station.

Any feedback is more than welcome. Thank you in advance for your time.
 
You are likely to be disappointed but it depends on which model you get, with which tank, and how fast you ride.

The 3.7 gal tank at 50 mpg will get you 185 miles until pushing

The 4.6 gal tank at 50 mpg will get you 230 miles to pushing

Over 70 mph don't count on getting 50 mpg

Many of us have ridden all over the US which is a big country and I dont recall any members claiming they ran out of gas yet. I recently returned from 2-2000 mile trips without an issue.

Most guys start looking for gas between 120 and 140 miles. After a couple hours you are most likely want to get off the seat for awhile anyway lol
 
He's in London so his gallon is different than ours. That said, she is, for the most part, a good 150 mile bike with some reserve. On a windy day my mileage sucked down to about 35mpg and had to fill at 100 to avoid walking.
I was going from Phoenix to Death Valley and the stretch from Wickenburg to Kingman was terrible wind wise. Found a truck stop about 20 miles south of Kingman (now it's a typical stop until Henderson) to fill up. In this part of the States you are getting into areas where gas stops are very important as it may be 180+ miles to the next station.

Assuming they have gas.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You are likely to be disappointed but it depends on which model you get, with which tank, and how fast you ride.

The 3.7 gal tank at 50 mpg will get you 185 miles until pushing

The 4.6 gal tank at 50 mpg will get you 230 miles to pushing

Over 70 mph don't count on getting 50 mpg

Many of us have ridden all over the US which is a big country and I dont recall any members claiming they ran out of gas yet. I recently returned from 2-2000 mile trips without an issue.

Most guys start looking for gas between 120 and 140 miles. After a couple hours you are most likely want to get off the seat for awhile anyway lol
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, much appreciated. I was not aware about the tank site....May I ask which model has the largar tank, they all look the same to me. 230 miles, sounds amazing fot a cb1100.
Rboe_imp said:
He's in London so his gallon is different than ours. That said, she is, for the most part, a good 150 mile bike with some reserve. On a windy day my mileage sucked down to about 35mpg and had to fill at 100 to avoid walking.
I was going from Phoenix to Death Valley and the stretch from Wickenburg to Kingman was terrible wind wise. Found a truck stop about 20 miles south of Kingman (now it's a typical stop until Henderson) to fill up. In this part of the States you are getting into areas where gas stops are very important as it may be 180+ miles to the next station.

Assuming they have gas.
Thanksca lot Rboe for your reply and feedback. Just waiting to hear from The Ferreira Re. which model has the largest tank amd I will get this one. Can't wait!!!
 
So figure with somewhat conservative riding under 70mph you should get around 60mpg imp. If you ride a more spirited ride and/or at higher speeds, it will drop.
As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
 
2017s have the larger tank, though my owner's manual says 4.4 (not 4.6).

Ironically, capacity is more important to me for local commuting than for long distance. I never mind stopping for gas after a couple of hours on the bike, but I hate stopping to or from work while commuting and the larger tank gives me an extra day without needing to fill up.
 
Recife79_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You are likely to be disappointed but it depends on which model you get, with which tank, and how fast you ride.

The 3.7 gal tank at 50 mpg will get you 185 miles until pushing

The 4.6 gal tank at 50 mpg will get you 230 miles to pushing

Over 70 mph don't count on getting 50 mpg

Many of us have ridden all over the US which is a big country and I dont recall any members claiming they ran out of gas yet. I recently returned from 2-2000 mile trips without an issue.

Most guys start looking for gas between 120 and 140 miles. After a couple hours you are most likely want to get off the seat for awhile anyway lol
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, much appreciated. I was not aware about the tank site....May I ask which model has the largar tank, they all look the same to me. 230 miles, sounds amazing fot a cb1100.
Rboe_imp said:
He's in London so his gallon is different than ours. That said, she is, for the most part, a good 150 mile bike with some reserve. On a windy day my mileage sucked down to about 35mpg and had to fill at 100 to avoid walking.
I was going from Phoenix to Death Valley and the stretch from Wickenburg to Kingman was terrible wind wise. Found a truck stop about 20 miles south of Kingman (now it's a typical stop until Henderson) to fill up. In this part of the States you are getting into areas where gas stops are very important as it may be 180+ miles to the next station.

Assuming they have gas.
Thanksca lot Rboe for your reply and feedback. Just waiting to hear from The Ferreira Re. which model has the largest tank amd I will get this one. Can't wait!!!
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, much appreciated. I was not aware about the tank site....May I ask which model has the largar tank, they all look the same to me. 230 miles, sounds a lot for the CB 1100
The Deluxe/EX has a 4.6 gallon tank. The standards have a 3.9 gal tank ( not 3.7 which was a typo on my part)
 
5.0 L/100 kms in warm season semi-spirited ride is doable on the CB1100 2014+.

In London town I reckon maybe get about 5.4 L/100 kms.

What size is your tank?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
5.0 L/100 kms in warm season semi-spirited ride is doable on the CB1100 2014+.

In London town I reckon maybe get about 5.4 L/100 kms.

What size is your tank?
I reckon worse mileage in a city.

My average fuel consumption over nearly 140,000 kms is 5.3L / 100kms. That’s touring and city riding. I plan on 220-230 kms between drinks when touring with the original 14.6 litre tank.
 
in the past i rode my 2017 model with a 16.8l tank already few times like a "" super cub .""....and so i needed on that way 3.6l / 100km.....gives a theoretical range of 466km...smile...
but normal i need 3.9 - 4.0l / 100km....HERE ON MY PLACE.....!

btw. : no realy citys.....
.
.
 
It depends on where, when and how you ride. My 2013 CB has an average fuel consumption of 4,5l/100km over 72.000km. I don't push the Honda hard but ride commode and relaxt. In summer I can ride up to 300km before I fill the tank again. In winter I'm looking for new gasoline after 250km to be on the safe side.
 
When the reserve light starts blinking I know I've used 10 litres of fuel. I divide the distance I've travelled since I filled up by 10 and then multiply by 4 which tells me how many kilometres I have left to run.

Regards NRTM
 
This is the summary of the fuel consumption for my RS for its first 5000 miles...

Total distance: 4993ml / 8034km
Total fuel: 85.35 imp gals / 387.51 litres

Avge rate: 58.69 mpg / 20.82 km/l
Best rate: 69.7 mpg / 24.7 km/l
Worst rate: 46.5 mpg / 16.9 km/l

Avge run dry range: 217ml / 350km
Best run dry range: 258ml / 415km
Worst run dry range: 172ml / 284km

...this was done on the crowded roads of the UK's south coast, so primarily A and B roads with little that could be called 'highway' riding.

I did, once, manage to get to the point where the 'reserve countdown' said I had 26 miles range left and I had 184 showing on the trip.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
5.0 L/100 kms in warm season semi-spirited ride is doable on the CB1100 2014+.

In London town I reckon maybe get about 5.4 L/100 kms.

What size is your tank?
I reckon worse mileage in a city.

My average fuel consumption over nearly 140,000 kms is 5.3L / 100kms. That’s touring and city riding. I plan on 220-230 kms between drinks when touring with the original 14.6 litre tank.
My '14 CB1100 average riding style concurs with these figures.
 
Thread starter
Hello all, thank you so much, I will start shopping now and will update you once I got my cb1100 in rue garage. God bless.
 
Hello Recife79. My bike is a 2014 Deluxe. About 50% of my riding is with a passenger. I ride mostly on two-lane back roads, but with about 25% of my riding on freeways. I tend to keep to the the speed limits; my freeway speeds are normally in the 70 - 75 mph range. I have kept an accurate record of my mileage since I have owned this bike, and I have 30,000 miles of data collected. Here are my results:

Average MPG = 47.17
Average range between fill-ups = 153.83
Farthest distance ever between fill-ups = 201

I don't wait until the last drop is in the tank between fill-ups, and the the 201 mile range I achieved that one time was riding very conservatively (slow), and the low fuel warning light had been blinking for about 30+ miles.

Hope this helps.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
Hello Recife79. My bike is a 2014 Deluxe. About 50% of my riding is with a passenger. I ride mostly on two-lane back roads, but with about 25% of my riding on freeways. I tend to keep to the the speed limits; my freeway speeds are normally in the 70 - 75 mph range. I have kept an accurate record of my mileage since I have owned this bike, and I have 30,000 miles of data collected. Here are my results:

Average MPG = 47.17
Average range between fill-ups = 153.83
Farthest distance ever between fill-ups = 201

I don't wait until the last drop is in the tank between fill-ups, and the the 201 mile range I achieved that one time was riding very conservatively (slow), and the low fuel warning light had been blinking for about 30+ miles.

Hope this helps.
Hi Dave, thank yu so much fr your time and detailed informaton, you guys are extremelly helpful. I feel much more confident in getting a CB1100 now, can't wait! Ride safe and once again thank you for your time :)
 
Note the CB1100 has petrol tanks ranging from 14.6l to 16.8l so consumption might be similar across the board but range won't.
 
Back
Top