Fuel Pump Problems

Harley Davidson manuals say to use the kill in FI bikes, they claim it allows the brain to retain in memory the conditions it was last running in, if you don't use the kill they claim it will have to rethink and will take a while to reset and run right, I say hog wash, have never used the kill on any bike I ever owned.

But getting back on topic, " they all do that ".
 
The ferret_imp said:
I never use the kill switch to turn off my bike, only the ignition key. Never heard a peep from mine. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I never use the kill switch either, so that's not it.
 
A few weeks after I got my cb11 I was riding at night and like a dummy went to switch the highbeam and flipped the kill switch instead, immediately switched it back on and she took back off, I never get it wrong now.:rofl:
I'm not having any fuel pump sounds as of yet.
 
Ferret is right. :worship: On page 101 of our owners manual, it says 'Do not use the engine stop switch except in an emergency'. I'll have to check both the Harley and the KLR's manual when I'm back in Georgia next month. This is great news... one less thing for me to do!!
 
Thanks for the info, from now on I'll stop using the kill switch. It shouldn't be hard to change an old habit :s Maybe it is time to read the manual :huh:
 
Sfomoto_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Sfmoto..does it happen every time or just intermittently?
It happens randomly. Maybe 2 to 3 times in 20 rides – never back to back.
It happens randomly. Maybe 2 to 3 times in 20 rides – never back to back.
how do you know its the fuel pump. Maybe its the canister purge solenoid valve.
 
SanPete_imp said:
Just like gheil I too use the kill switch to turn off the bike every time. You see, I had my share of kick start motorcycles that did not have a key, kill swith or battery. Once I got a bike with a kill switch I asked what was it for? I was told it was for emergency purposes only. But I never rememberedthe damn switch when I found myself in a pickle, or after a bad landing. All I cared about was, if I was ok, the bike can run out of gas for all I cared. So for me the kill switch is the way to turn off the bike.
Now to get back to the thread. I have experienced this noise on my '84 V4 honda magna, but only in cold weather. Mind you this is a carburator bike. It would produce a loud screeching sound that would increase as I accelerated. This only occurred during the winter time, because it was never present in the summer. I rode it many years like this and never had a problem. Is this a Honda only issue? I don't know. Does this answer your question? Hardly... but I can tell you, living down here in hot weather Florida neither the CB or the magna have had this issue. Just Saying...
My '93 CB750 does this occasionally, only when it's really cold. In my case it's the speedometer cable. I've had it go away after removing and lubing the cable, but it eventually comes back.
 
Interesting. When I took the MSF course, they reinforced use of the kill switch prior to turning the ignition. Guess I need to adjust my habits as well...
 
Joola_imp said:
Interesting. When I took the MSF course, they reinforced use of the kill switch prior to turning the ignition. Guess I need to adjust my habits as well...
they say that if you don't use it all the time then you won't remember where it is if you have to use it. I don't think that's a problem for most of us. Although sometimes I can't find my house.
 
I never use the kill switch unless I'm on a hill and want to kill the bike in gear. Just one more thing to forget to turn on when I'm starting her up. BTW never heard any strange sounds other than fuel pump prime which is normal.
 
I always use the kill switch on my 1100 and don't have any issues.

Thinking back to when I took the MSF and they do teach the use of the kill switch.

Matter of fact the only bike I don't or rarely use the kill switch on is my scooter. The Yamaha xs850 I use the kill switch also.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I took the MSF Basic Rider Course about 3 and a half years ago and yes they taught the use of the kill switch. I always use both the key on, kill switch on to start and then kill switch off, key off to turn off. Just engrained as habit with me. No noise from my fuel pump other than normal hum when it gets power at startup.
 
I know my 2011 Triumph Bonneville had a fuel shutoff check valve if the bike was dropped. Not sure about the CB but would not be surprised if the bike had this safety feature.
 
soggybottom_imp said:
Don't most modern bikes have an angel sensor that kills the engine if dumped?

My ST 1300 does, not sure about the CB1100 and don't want to physically find out..if you get my drift.
 
The CB1100 does have a Bank Angle Sensor. The service manual, page 5-62 says it operates at 60 degrees from vertical.
 
Ok just a note to anyone who has the opportunity to test it, if it's like the ST 1300, when the bike falls over and quits. When you pick it up you have to turn off the ignition switch then turn it back on to recycle, before the bike will start.
 
That settles it, ride into your parking spot, get off and let it fall to the ground like a kid parks his bicycle, no key, no switch, no problem.
 
soggybottom_imp said:
That settles it, ride into your parking spot, get off and let it fall to the ground like a kid parks his bicycle, no key, no switch, no problem.
I kinda sorta did that one day in my garage. There was a problem. :(
 
Back
Top