Fuel gauge flashing from center outward....

Thread starter
Like I said, it flashes from the center outward. Not low on fuel. Sometimes it stops right away, other times it will continue flashing a long time. Anyone ever experience this? Think my fuel gauge in tank is sticking?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The service manual actually has drawings that show this. Indicates a fault in the guage circuit.

Then says to check some wires. If the Gray/black wire is OK, then the fuel level sensor is good, and if so replace the meter assembly.

Anyway, I would first check the fuel pump connector as a first step. Unplug it and make sure the pins are seated well and are not corroded or anything. There is a proceduure for checking the sensor (fuel level ). If you would like, PM me your email and I’ll send it to you.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The service manual actually has drawings that show this. Indicates a fault in the guage circuit.

Then says to check some wires. If the Gray/black wire is OK, then the fuel level sensor is good, and if so replace the meter assembly.

Anyway, I would first check the fuel pump connector as a first step. Unplug it and make sure the pins are seated well and are not corroded or anything. There is a proceduure for checking the sensor (fuel level ). If you would like, PM me your email and I’ll send it to you.

Oh, cool. Thanks. I didn’t check my service manual for it yet. It just started a few days ago. Appreciate the response.
c90be1e3dad26b2e32cc3e8c18e1898e.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Look in section 19, page 19-28 for 2014 models.
 
Thread starter
So I finally checked out the fuel pump/gauge unit in the tank. I didn’t see any visible problems and I still get the warning. Has anyone else had this warning before? Anyone? Bueler?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)
Would be better and less complicated for you if you follow popgun instruction:P, providing you have service manual...p 19-28 as he said
2014 = 6 bars

Good luck

pb
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)
Would be better and less complicated for you if you follow popgun instruction:P, providing you have service manual...p 19-28 as he said
2014 = 6 bars

Good luck

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)
Would be better and less complicated for you if you follow popgun instruction:P, providing you have service manual...p 19-28 as he said
2014 = 6 bars

Good luck

pb

Right, I know. Just trying to see if anyone else had and/or solved this problem. I never had luck with electrical diagnostics.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Check the plug under the left hand side cover that goes to the gas tank. The one that gets unplugged when you remove the tank.

I had my tank off a few days ago, and turned on the key so I could check power on my dynojet install- and my dash gave the same light dance with the tank unplugged. Once I put it back together it went back to normal.

So either that connection is loose, corroded, the wiring may be damaged somehow (pinched?)...etc.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Check the plug under the left hand side cover that goes to the gas tank. The one that gets unplugged when you remove the tank.

I had my tank off a few days ago, and turned on the key so I could check power on my dynojet install- and my dash gave the same light dance with the tank unplugged. Once I put it back together it went back to normal.

So either that connection is loose, corroded, the wiring may be damaged somehow (pinched?)...etc.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Check the plug under the left hand side cover that goes to the gas tank. The one that gets unplugged when you remove the tank.

I had my tank off a few days ago, and turned on the key so I could check power on my dynojet install- and my dash gave the same light dance with the tank unplugged. Once I put it back together it went back to normal.

So either that connection is loose, corroded, the wiring may be damaged somehow (pinched?)...etc.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.

Connections are good but one wire has a auspicious s kind of kink in it, it just might be the culprit. I’ll have to get a better look at it. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.

I did have this out of tank already. Visually it looks good. I tried to clean contacts (fingers) for it but still doing the same. Bike runs fine, I’ll probably just replace the unit. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.

I did have this out of tank already. Visually it looks good. I tried to clean contacts (fingers) for it but still doing the same. Bike runs fine, I’ll probably just replace the unit. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. The sending unit (with the fingers) is not a separate item. Have to get whole fuel pump assembly! 343 bucks at partzilla. I don’t think I’ll bother.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
max_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.

I did have this out of tank already. Visually it looks good. I tried to clean contacts (fingers) for it but still doing the same. Bike runs fine, I’ll probably just replace the unit. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.

I did have this out of tank already. Visually it looks good. I tried to clean contacts (fingers) for it but still doing the same. Bike runs fine, I’ll probably just replace the unit. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. The sending unit (with the fingers) is not a separate item. Have to get whole fuel pump assembly! 343 bucks at partzilla. I don’t think I’ll bother.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the part #?
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
max_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
General info:
What year= provide info!!!!! 2013 = 3 wire, 2014 = 4 wire (pump&unit assy)..others = have no info:
Do a sending unit sweep and resistance tests = have to take unit out of gas tank...or have a variable resistor to test gas gauge itself for smooth-intermittent-erratic operation

pb
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.

I did have this out of tank already. Visually it looks good. I tried to clean contacts (fingers) for it but still doing the same. Bike runs fine, I’ll probably just replace the unit. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a 2014 Standard. It doesn’t give warning when when I fill the tank but I’ll ride it home about a mile and park it until next morning and then the warning starts. Also, the warning will stop when fuel is getting low, (1 bar showing)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the fault resets when the fuel is on one bar i suspect the wiring may be ok.
the fault could be the sender unit, here is a pic of what's inside the tank;




it may be some dirt or corrosion is in between the contacts and is preventing the wiper ( the part that moves over the contacts )
from making contact with the " fingers" on the base.
it is interesting that it seems to be ok when full and empty but loses it in between.

could be it fixes itself but hard to say.
may be a bit expensive to repair but if it persists and you have good mechanical skills it may be worth taking the pump unit out and have a look,

it can be checked when out of the tank and plugged in.


sorry for the picture format that makes reading difficult.

I did have this out of tank already. Visually it looks good. I tried to clean contacts (fingers) for it but still doing the same. Bike runs fine, I’ll probably just replace the unit. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. The sending unit (with the fingers) is not a separate item. Have to get whole fuel pump assembly! 343 bucks at partzilla. I don’t think I’ll bother.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the part #?

What is the part #?

98e48d64e111021f8b5f67959892a61a.jpg
f40aa6b4cf6446264eff64784dd10e03.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Check the plug under the left hand side cover that goes to the gas tank. The one that gets unplugged when you remove the tank.

I had my tank off a few days ago, and turned on the key so I could check power on my dynojet install- and my dash gave the same light dance with the tank unplugged. Once I put it back together it went back to normal.

So either that connection is loose, corroded, the wiring may be damaged somehow (pinched?)...etc.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.

Connections are good but one wire has a auspicious s kind of kink in it, it just might be the culprit. I’ll have to get a better look at it. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suggest that you disconnect the connector then push each wire into the connector firmly before reconnecting,
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Check the plug under the left hand side cover that goes to the gas tank. The one that gets unplugged when you remove the tank.

I had my tank off a few days ago, and turned on the key so I could check power on my dynojet install- and my dash gave the same light dance with the tank unplugged. Once I put it back together it went back to normal.

So either that connection is loose, corroded, the wiring may be damaged somehow (pinched?)...etc.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.
Good back up to Popgun's advice.

Connections are good but one wire has a auspicious s kind of kink in it, it just might be the culprit. I’ll have to get a better look at it. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suggest that you disconnect the connector then push each wire into the connector firmly before reconnecting,
Suggest that you disconnect the connector then push each wire into the connector firmly before reconnecting,

I’ll try it. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top