Fuel filter replacement

So same as a CRV. I never need to touch it! (Nor do I intend to).
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So same as a CRV. I never need to touch it! (Nor do I intend to).
... if one has to tend often to fuel security in the tank, then the problem is really another issue.


" ... hey punks! S-s-s-tay-ay out of ma garage! ... And get off the grass! ... "
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Went looking for the fuel filter on Mrs.' Honda CRV, found that it is permanent and non-serviceable.

So, my CB's filter is the same, being a Honda. Right?
No the CBs filter is separate from the pump, but you have to remove the pump assembly from the tank to get to it, and it's over $300 for the filter alone.
No the CBs filter is separate from the pump, but you have to remove the pump assembly from the tank to get to it, and it's over $300 for the filter alone.
And I wonder what constitutes a darn fuel filter being $300. Geez it's a filter...
 
Mafd2_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Went looking for the fuel filter on Mrs.' Honda CRV, found that it is permanent and non-serviceable.

So, my CB's filter is the same, being a Honda. Right?
No the CBs filter is separate from the pump, but you have to remove the pump assembly from the tank to get to it, and it's over $300 for the filter alone.
No the CBs filter is separate from the pump, but you have to remove the pump assembly from the tank to get to it, and it's over $300 for the filter alone.
And I wonder what constitutes a darn fuel filter being $300. Geez it's a filter...
Owners of other Honda models had similar feelings and some decided to go with aftermarket options (associated with those other Honda models) that were more effective for their needs and less expensive than OEM. It has been reported some Honda dealership garages would even install and support good quality third-party fuel filters. Of course, not being OEM some garages did not.
 
Looking at the fiche it appears it isn't just a filter, but includes the motor.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Looking at the fiche it appears it isn't just a filter, but includes the motor.
That makes more sense Lord. I hope that is [sadly] correct.

Otherwise - lol - maybe the filter component includes the cost of Honda labour. :P
 
m in sc_imp said:
here's the short answer. do a search on here regarding fuel filters. basically one thread, and this is it. Not an issue IMHO.
:thumbsup: exactly.
The Thread that wouldn't die. Now, about that oil . . .
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
here's the short answer. do a search on here regarding fuel filters. basically one thread, and this is it. Not an issue IMHO.
:thumbsup: exactly.
The Thread that wouldn't die. Now, about that oil . . .
:thumbsup: exactly.
The Thread that wouldn't die. Now, about that oil . . .
Hmnm, that oil is a different story, very sure some will chime in :D
 
Tank's inner paint had come off, and clogged the fuel filter. Took them 6 months and endless "repairs under warranty" to figure it out.
Oh, dad was happy, at some point willing to sell the car at half price, or burn the garage.
So much about fuel filters and that they (can) last a life time.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Tank's inner paint had come off, and clogged the fuel filter. Took them 6 months and endless "repairs under warranty" to figure it out.
Oh, dad was happy, at some point willing to sell the car at half price, or burn the garage.
So much about fuel filters and that they (can) last a life time.
... unless you are an owner of a 2019 to 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sport model. They tend to go through a few fuel filters until the Honda tank issue settles down.

A very dangerous situation that prompted a North American recall.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Looking at the fiche it appears it isn't just a filter, but includes the motor.
I think that it's just the filter.

f5776cdf787e59c93bb50ab9b2c0c6de.jpg
 
m in sc_imp said:
filter wasn't at fault, tank was. who the heck paints the inside of a fuel tank? what brand of car was this? I mean, that's just ridiculous to do.
a German made Audi, believe it or not
(I assume my Dad was told it's paint, in reality is was more likely whatever Audi thought they had to put inside the tank to ... I don't know what ;) )
 
What year and model Audi, pls...cos I don't believe was paint, as said by the dealer???..
 
Some vehicle owners (particularly owners of old motorcycles) "seal" the inside of their fuel tanks. I reckon if preparation was poor, or if the product is poor, then the seal (i.e. paint) will fail.

In the case of the 2018/19 - 2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport trim line, the internal tank welds flaked a byproduct substance into the tank that necessitated a national safety recall. Some owners even had their injectors replaced. Pretty serious for Honda. Not sure if any riders were injured - Honda tends to be pretty hush about those events.
 
My "low fuel" sender failed on my '95 Daytona 1200 the other day and I had a look inside to see if I could see any mechanical damage. Nothing is obvious so it is probably just a blown thermistor. Amazingly Triumph still sell these new and a replacement has just come into the local dealer at a reasonable price and no postage costs. The inside of the tank looks painted and the entire tank is in perfect condition. This lights a bulb on the dash at 8 litres and you have 3 litres to go before you have to change the tap over to reserve with another 5 litres.

By contrast I just this week replaced the fuel tap this week on my son's 2004 Ninja 250. The inside of the tank is unpainted and there is a lot of rust in a lot of places on it. Not enough to junk the tank but it's not great, you can see it around the fuel tap. You can also see the equivalent fuel filters on the inside of the fuel tap on the Ninja with the simple gravity fed systems, one for main supply and one for reserve. Love the simplicity but I am happy to of ditched the carbs on bikes for EFI.

 
Back
Top