Fuel Economy MPG/KPG/KPL

Beautiful day here today, sunny and 81 degrees but very windy. Thought I was in Kansas on today's ride lol
 
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
I seem to hover around 60 mpg but I am not a quick rider and stay in 6th most of the time.
Could part of the reason be the difference between an Imperial gallon vs. a US gallon. The former being about 1.2 US gallons. I usually averaged a bit over 50 mpg on my 2013.
 
Just filled up my 14 DLX 6 speed again today. Rode 171.7 miles. Was down to 1 bar but had not gone to flashing or count down reserve. Took 3.1 US gals to fill up. Averaged 55.38 mpg
 
Im consistently getting about 130 miles till the warning pops on at 2.8 to 3 gal.. Comes out to about 43mpg to near 46mpg. This is with a full exhaust, open airbox and a Guhl tune while riding pretty aggressively. Not ringing its neck but aggressive. That's impressive for an 1100 I-4.
 
with our speed limits on our roads, traffic and roads and geographical situations here , i need 3.9 to 4 liters per 100km....... and with my drive style (6 speed)

or
0.87 Gallons per 62.1 miles
 
alprider_imp said:
with our speed limits on our roads, traffic and roads and geographical situations here , i need 3.9 to 4 liters per 100km....... and with my drive style (6 speed)

or
0.87 Gallons per 62.1 miles
British or U.S. gallon? :D

(thanks goodness there is only one type of mile)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
alprider_imp said:
with our speed limits on our roads, traffic and roads and geographical situations here , i need 3.9 to 4 liters per 100km....... and with my drive style (6 speed)

or
0.87 Gallons per 62.1 miles
British or U.S. gallon? :D

(thanks goodness there is only one type of mile)
British or U.S. gallon? :D

(thanks goodness there is only one type of mile)
Not so, nautical mile has 1.852 km
:)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
alprider_imp said:
with our speed limits on our roads, traffic and roads and geographical situations here , i need 3.9 to 4 liters per 100km....... and with my drive style (6 speed)

or
0.87 Gallons per 62.1 miles
British or U.S. gallon? :D

(thanks goodness there is only one type of mile)
British or U.S. gallon? :D

(thanks goodness there is only one type of mile)
Not so, nautical mile has 1.852 km
:)
British or U.S. gallon? :D

(thanks goodness there is only one type of mile)
Not so, nautical mile has 1.852 km
:)
Bah, but PB, that is almost like saying kilometer, centimeter, millimeter. Prefix matters.
 
Thread starter
My new to me 2014 has been getting terrible mileage. It was getting 41 mpg the first week I had it, then 39, and recently I got 35!

Same gas, same riding style, haven't done anything different.

I have noticed the idle seems to be a little high, about 1000 to 1100 in neutral.

Also, the dealership where I bought it changed the oil for me, but I think they overfilled it. There was no air bubble visible in the sight glass at all unless it was on the side stand. Now it seems ok, with the oil just reaching the upper marker in the sight glass, so apparently the problem self corrected.

I wonder where the extra oil went...

I was ok with 41 mpg, but 35 is ridiculous.
 
Your idle is normal and in spec.

Idle speed should be 1100 +-100 rpm.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Your idle is normal and in spec.

Idle speed should be 1100 +-100 rpm.
Thanks for the reply and the info. My old Nighthawk idled around 800 rpm.

So perhaps the extra oil is clogging something and bringing the mileage down?

It seems to run fine, so if there is an issue with the air-fuel mix, the computer must be compensating for it .

This is also my first non-carb bike. I'm learning... Lol
 
I don't know and I don't care, so long as I don't run out of gas. I pay attention to that, but MPG? Couldn't care less. My car, on the other hand, gets 24.7 MPG consistently. It's a Honda Accord V6 Coupe.
 
Yata, maybe check your air filter. Maybe a TPS reset will do something.
 
"The United States chose five significant digits for its nautical mile, 6080.2 feet, whereas the United Kingdom chose four significant digits for its Admiralty mile, 6080 feet."
 
My 2013 the lowest mileage I recall was 48 mpg but averaged 50 to 52 mpg.

While attending the 2015 rally, a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway yielded 60+ mpg the best ever.
 
Geez, thanks noroomtomove. I think that means we have 3 kinds of mile: land mile and UK and US nautical miles.
 
If you stretch it a bit we have five - Sweden uses the "mil" which represents ten kilometers. The Swedish "mil" started off 1699, representing 6000 fathoms or 10,7 km. The "mil" was 1/2 of the king's stipulated max distance to between inns with horses for change etc. The "mil" survived when Sweden finally went metric in 1899, but was adjusted accordingly to signify 10,0 km. To this day we tend to talk about travelling distances in "mil" rather than kilometers.
 
Olof_imp said:
If you stretch it a bit we have five - Sweden uses the "mil" which represents ten kilometers. The Swedish "mil" started off 1699, representing 6000 fathoms or 10,7 km. The "mil" was 1/2 of the king's stipulated max distance to between inns with horses for change etc. The "mil" survived when Sweden finally went metric in 1899, but was adjusted accordingly to signify 10,0 km. To this day we tend to talk about travelling distances in "mil" rather than kilometers.
The French came up with the most logical solution: get rid off kings, and with their eccentric units based on their anatomy, their state of mind or the strength of their horses.

Then you go to the UK, and your vehicle shows your fuel economy in MPG, but you refill in liters :-?

(Although I have to say, when you work in mechanical design and you need precision, "imperial bolts" beat any metric standard.)
 
Back
Top